Author Topic: Bought it and crashed it the same day!  (Read 4893 times)

equium

• View Profile
Bought it and crashed it the same day!
« on: June 25, 2008, 07:16:24 PM »
Hey everyone.  yes, you read it right.  I was driving my new ('07) home last saturday drove it into a ditch.     I'm ok.  No broken bones, but some road rash.  The dealer sent a guy out to look at the bike at my home.  It's mostly cosmetic scratches and a bent brake handle.  The guy drove it and said it pulls to the left.  I had a neighbor ride it the next day for a second opinion (and did not tell my neighbor what the dealer said about pulling to the left).  My neighbor said it pulled to the left only when braking. 
Has anyone ever had any issues with these pulling to one side?  The more I think about my accident, I wonder if it pulled to the left before the crash.  I was coming up to a right hand curve and was slowing down, but the bike wouldn't lean, and into the ditch I went. 
Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful. 
thanks

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: Bought it and crashed it the same day!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 12:27:35 AM »
I was coming up to a right hand curve and was slowing down, but the bike wouldn't lean, and into the ditch I went.

It sounds as if you tried to break the laws of physics. Unfortunately, there's no warning ticket for that.  :)

First, I'd have the dealer make sure the forks are okay, and the front disc brake, as well. You really don't want to have Crash #2 due to a mechanical issue on a brand new bike!

Then, if you're a new rider, you might look into the nearest Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider's course held near you. It's between $150-200, and is 16-18 weekend hours, and very useful for all riders. In many states, the MSF completion certificate can be used in lieu of testing for the state's motorcycle endorsement tests.

Sorry to hear about your wreck, but please, have the bike checked out thoroughly... and stay safe, above all!

equium

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 02:36:39 AM »
It sounds as if you tried to break the laws of physics. Unfortunately, there's no warning ticket for that.  :)

First, I'd have the dealer make sure the forks are okay, and the front disc brake, as well. You really don't want to have Crash #2 due to a mechanical issue on a brand new bike!

Then, if you're a new rider, you might look into the nearest Motorcycle Safety Foundation rider's course held near you. It's between $150-200, and is 16-18 weekend hours, and very useful for all riders. In many states, the MSF completion certificate can be used in lieu of testing for the state's motorcycle endorsement tests.

Sorry to hear about your wreck, but please, have the bike checked out thoroughly... and stay safe, above all!
Thanks for the response.  I plan on taking a safety.  it's been 20 years since i had my honda 750.  I'll be the first to admit i have a lot to learn, and i'm not looking to blame the bike or anything.  I still don't understand how a two wheeled bike can pull to one side, braking or not.  If someone could explain that, i'd like to hear it. 
well, i have to go.  The vicodin has kicked in and it's time for my wife to change the dressings on my arm.  I'm glad to be a part of this forum and hope to contribute in the future.

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:24 AM »
I was coming up to a right hand curve and was slowing down, but the bike wouldn't lean, and into the ditch I went. 
Any ideas or thoughts would be helpful. 
thanks
Yes, I have personally experienced this very thing. It was about 25 years ago and I was riding a 350 Honda motorcycle. It was a medium sweeping left hander and the bike just refused to turn. Fortunately, I got it slowed enough and got it back under control before I went off the 12' embankment.

I spoke with several other riders in the area and they had all had the same problem with that curve. Under about 45 mph and it was fine. Over that and the problem showed up. The consensus of opinion was that there was something odd about the road surface.

Glad you're OK.
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:33 AM »
I'll be the first to admit i have a lot to learn, and i'm not looking to blame the bike or anything.  I still don't understand how a two wheeled bike can pull to one side, braking or not.  If someone could explain that, i'd like to hear it.

I'm not sure, either, which is why I'd recommend taking it to a qualified mechanic (and if you think there was something not properly aligned or set up when you got it from the dealer, maybe taking it to ANOTHER mechanic would be best... do you have another nearby Kymco dealer?). Getting it thoroughly checked out, mechanically, before riding it again is very important. You can get killed pretty easily on a malfunctioning bike, as I'm sure you know!  :-/

Btw, I'm not poking fun at anyone's experience... d'oh!  :)

olbull

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »
The Bike only follows  your  input..Did  you  buy  chance  look  at  the area  of your  crash  just  prior to  the  mishap??   Glad  your  ok
2007 P250

If  your  not the lead dog the  scenery never  changes

equium

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »
thanks again for all the replys.  I'm taking the bike back in a few weeks for a checkup.  I have only been back to the crash site once and it was only a driveby.  I want to get out and walk it.  I knew i was nervous going into the curve because i had just successfully finished a curve covered with dry pine needles, which are slippery even just walking on them.   :o  I'll keep you all posted with the status of my bike.  I'm healing fine. 

equium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2008, 02:35:24 PM »
I have finally healed enough and took it out for my first ride since my accident.  I have not yet taken it in for a check up since the crash, but I wanted to see for myself how it rode.  I'm pretty sure the fork(s) are bent.  It seemed like I had to work at keeping it straight.  I have a straight stretch of road near my house and I'd get it going about 35-40 MPH and loosen my grip on the handlebars, and it want's to turn instead of run straight.  After 20 minutes of riding around the neighborhood, I was tired from trying to keep it running straight.  20 years ago, I'd drive my Sabre 750 for hours with little fatigue. 
I found a local shop that has the only laser frame and fork alignment machine in our area.  The owner told me for about 160 bucks, he could re-align my P250.  I'm still going to take it to the dealer (which does not have an alignment machine) and let them check it out, but I think I'll pay the 160 and have it aligned the right way.  I'll keep you all  posted on my scooter. 

equium

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:39:35 PM »
OK.  I drove it to a shop.  after tearing it down and inspecting the forks; i'm told each of the upper fork tube assemblies are bent.  One is 6mm and the other was 8mm bent.  Both upper tubes need to be replaced, as well a a few other parts.  The shop (not the dealer I bought it from) is going to keep my repair bill under $500.  I'm excited (and a little scared) to be getting it back.  Aside from some scratches, it should be good as new.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()