Author Topic: Problems on day one.  (Read 3545 times)

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
Problems on day one.
« on: May 05, 2018, 08:32:20 PM »
Okay, just got the new Like 200i home and took it down the road a bit.  Uh-oh.  Soon as I got past 40mph the bike shook like a paint mixer.  Rear wheel looks round, checked the tire pressure, checked the shocks, all is good.  But even on the center stand it jumps up and down once given a bit of throttle.  Can someone please pretty please tell me this is a normal part of break-in and it will quickly smooth out?  Called the dealer, who swears it was test ridden.  (Yeah right.) His answer?  "Oh well, bring it by and we'll take a look."  Except he's 2 1/2 hours from here.  This is a brand new 2018 with 3 miles on the clock.  NOT a good start...
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Problems on day one.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 08:52:48 PM »
If all fasteners are snug.....it has got to be the tire, doesn't it?
Out of balance.
There are no balancing weights on these scoots - but if it bounces at speed on the center stand. ...and shakes badly when ridden?
Bad tire. Has to be. Dealer probably didn't run it up that fast.
No, not a common problem on a new LIKE200i!

I might guess that you have too sensitive a rear end, or were on a bumpy road.....but you say it bounces on the stand!

Tire fully seated all around bead?
Gotta be a bad Kenda.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 08:56:37 PM »
Just a thought....
Some guys use tire beads in the tire...to balance the wheel. Some swear by these things. DYNABEADS.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 09:08:31 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 09:03:55 PM »
Can you do a video to show us the wheel being accelerated on the center stand?
Might  help better scooter mechanics than me spot something.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »
Yeah, Stig, I'm hoping it's just an out of round tire.  Looks okay, but it don't take much to be "off" when a tire is only 12", I guess.  And no, I'm not being overly sensitive, it ain't a bad road, and I've been riding for 50 years, so take my word for it, this thing POGOS once ya crack 40mph.  Now I realize I'm probably over reacting, but I was hoping for a much better first ride experience, and would expect the dealer to have done a more thorough job of test riding it.  Aarrgghh.  Oh well, I'll put some more miles on it tomorrow just to see if it evens out, and if not, back to the dealer it goes.  260 mile round trip.  Dammit. 
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 10:31:43 PM »
So first of all I am not sure if this scooter is really a 2018 Model. Don´t think so. Because in 2018 Kymco already sells and delivers it´s new Like Model 150i. At least over here in Europe (Italy and Netherlands).
So how old are the tires? Check the DOT Number on the sidewall of the tires (4 digit number).
Maybe these Kenda tires already have a "flat spot" from sitting to long on the same place (leftovers...) and are out of round.
Additionally Kymco Like Scooter tires are never balanced - unfortunately.
Checking them for being out of round is pretty easy on the mainstand with some propper simple tools.
Balancing the tires is a absolute necessity and the method Stig mentioned (i.e. Dynabeads) is the easiest and fastest way to do it. Use approx. 40 grams of dynabeads or equivalent product in each tire.
Or you must remove the two wheels and balance it on a external balancer stand with weights to stick onto the rim.

I know the symptoms and observations pretty well. Exreme handle bar wobbling and shaking. After a exact balancing pocedure I could ride handsfree(!) at 50 miles or more. The Kendas are not too bad in dry condition and when well balanced and well centered.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 12:19:29 AM »
   That's good advice about dating the tires.  They were made in 2017, so yeah, I probably got one of the last of the breed.  Will put it up on a lift and do a rudimentary check for roundness.  Probably out a little, and that's all it takes.  Most likely will have to bring it back to the dealer and get a new set.  Hey, maybe I can get some Michelins out of the deal!
   Sorry for venting, especially being a newbie I shouldn't have done that.  By the way, I did ride it around town at a slower speed and this thing is awesome. 
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 12:41:33 AM »
And if you decide to balance your wheels you can use a really effective and super cheap option: BB's! I have used Dynabeads in several scoots until they got expensive (doesn't take much-I'm cheap!) and hard to find. Then I tried BB's in my last DT300I and they worked great! About 2 ounces works well. The only drawback is you have to break the tire bead to put 'em in. Dyna bead can go in the tire valve with the core removed.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2018, 02:04:13 AM »
   That's good advice about dating the tires.  They were made in 2017, so yeah, I probably got one of the last of the breed.  Will put it up on a lift and do a rudimentary check for roundness.  Probably out a little, and that's all it takes.  Most likely will have to bring it back to the dealer and get a new set.  Hey, maybe I can get some Michelins out of the deal!
   Sorry for venting, especially being a newbie I shouldn't have done that.  By the way, I did ride it around town at a slower speed and this thing is awesome. 
Maybe fuss a bit, buy the Michelins....
and have them installed free.
And, yes I figured you knew what you were talking about. (but there are those new to scooters who complain about their crappy ride. $12,000 Burgman 650's have unhappy new riders sometimes)
Bad luck on getting a Kenda this bad.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

AMAC1680

• Outdoorsman, Advocate, Paraplegic
    • View Profile
    • SEGS4VETS
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2018, 09:47:49 AM »
Ok probably just me but it’s new. Part of buying new is the warranty and it sucks but I’d be taking it back and having it made right, long trip or not.

Letting the dealer off the hook isn’t the answer particularly with the second machine on order.
If I bought new I’d want it made right. Just me.

AMAC
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 09:49:38 AM by AMAC1680 »
www.SEGS4VETS.org
2017 Lance Cali Classic 200i
2013 SYM RV200
2013 Kymco Downtown 300
2010 Lance Cali Classic-sold
1973 VW Dune Buggy
1974 VW Meyers Manx

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2018, 10:26:50 AM »
I agree with AMAC. This is the kind of thing dealers signed on to do. It's just that most of them snivel out. The Like seemed to me to have a harsh ride from my test ride years ago. Something out of balance and/or out of round would just make it worse. Dealer and warranty but be careful and watch him!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »

Yep, that's exactly what I plan on doing.  Back it goes, and it WILL be made right.  If the problem is only an out of round tire, then it will be replaced, not balanced.  And when I pick up the second one I'll test it more than just a ride around the parking lot...  Again, sorry to vent like that.  But I really can't understand how any dealer could possibly release a bike in that condition, and I "saw red".  (I'd bet the salesman's ears are still ringing from my phone call)  Thanks so much for the advice and support. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2018, 12:05:07 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 01:29:08 PM »
You really want to get me started on dealers? YOU have to do as complete a PDI as you can because most of these jokers just put 'em together out of the crate, stuff the battery in and roll 'em out! That Like  I tested even had too much oil in it! Yeah, I don't need to get started!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2018, 06:47:49 PM »
You really want to get me started on dealers? YOU have to do as complete a PDI as you can because most of these jokers just put 'em together out of the crate, stuff the battery in and roll 'em out! That Like  I tested even had too much oil in it! Yeah, I don't need to get started!
That’s right. I bought a new Yamaha Majesty approximately one month before my accident. It was a brand new 2013 that was still in the crate in 2016. So I got it at a great price. I was 100 miles from home, so I waited all day for them to assemble and test it. It was past closing time when they got it ready they CLAIMED to had test ridden it. But when I got on it, there was a grand total of 1/10 miles on the odometer. THANKFULLY all was well because I had to ride it 100 miles home as a break in. I had traded in my Xciting 250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2018, 08:50:40 PM »
That’s right. I bought a new Yamaha Majesty approximately one month before my accident. It was a brand new 2013 that was still in the crate in 2016. So I got it at a great price. I was 100 miles from home, so I waited all day for them to assemble and test it. It was past closing time when they got it ready they CLAIMED to had test ridden it. But when I got on it, there was a grand total of 1/10 miles on the odometer. THANKFULLY all was well because I had to ride it 100 miles home as a break in. I had traded in my Xciting 250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Now Mr Forbes, after all that beauty was a Yamaha! Put some petrol in it and jump back quickly while it starts itself and runs its own diagnostics and checks the tires.
The LIKE is made in China.....that Majesty was probably made in Japan....and I wager it came with quality tires.
Check prices on Kendas. You can get two for less than a Michelin.
Imagine what Kymco is paying for one from that trainload of them in China!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()