Author Topic: Completed the second mod!  (Read 779 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Completed the second mod!
« on: May 16, 2018, 05:35:37 PM »
And this one really, REALLY makes riding so much better, IMHO!
<insert drum roll here>
I added foam grips to the handlebars!

More accurately, I found some foam tubing on Amazon with the right ID, and slipped them on over the rubber grips.

Reduces road vibration, increases "grab" on the grips, and really reduces fatigue from gripping those too-small stock rubber grips.

If anyone's interested, here's the Amazon link:

https://tinyurl.com/yba8lxhx
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Completed the second mod!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:21:20 PM »
Great pictures! Simple, inexpensive mod! Well done!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:41:40 PM »
Please keep us informed on how long they last for before needing replacing.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
Yep,
Foam grips are a popular item on ebay from many sellers. Different sizes and colors.
At these prices for a pair - many are much less - you could replace every year!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:47:47 AM »
Great pictures! Simple, inexpensive mod! Well done!

Thanks, Karl!  I think this is a mod that most touring riders and commuters should do. It's cheap, it really cuts down on grip fatigue, and it just makes the grab factor a lot better.

Please keep us informed on how long they last for before needing replacing.

Paul: They're nitrile rubber foam, so degradation isn't likely going to be a problem. At least, they haven't ever been for me. I had a set similar to these on my old Honda PCX for a little over 3 years with no trouble. So I'd say worrying about them falling apart or not being durable isn't something I'm going to lose a whit of sleep over... ;)

They only cost me about $10 each. Oddly enough, I could only find them sold singly, and not as pairs. I'm more worried about finding the forward turn signals than I am these things causing problems.

Also, my bullet turn signals with the red LEDs came in today. I'm planning on hooking them up as additional brake lights, so we'll see how that mod goes when I get to it.

They're smaller than the pumpkins that are the rear turn signals, so they won't stick out as far or be as obvious. Once I find a set of forward LED turn signals that actually have LEDs and wiring in them (the US version has nothing in it) then I'll take bits apart and put all the aux lighting on Diana.

1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Fogie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »
Does anybody have experience using a Grip-Lock with foam grips? How does that work out with respect to the lock's effect and wear on the grips?
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
Does anybody have experience using a Grip-Lock with foam grips? How does that work out with respect to the lock's effect and wear on the grips?
My son uses both on his R6
 Grip lock comes with inserts for diff. sized grips. No harm to foam, springs back when released.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 06:15:15 PM »
Hey ET, you might want to consider spraying some of the black plastic parts with a UV protectant so they wont fade to quickly. I did it on my 300 GTI and it lasted for a long time with the black plastic keeping its newish look. I plan on doing that soon along with getting a windshield.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
Hey ET, you might want to consider spraying some of the black plastic parts with a UV protectant so they wont fade to quickly. I did it on my 300 GTI and it lasted for a long time with the black plastic keeping its newish look. I plan on doing that soon along with getting a windshield.

Leo!

How are you liking that 400i?

I've thought about putting some kind of protectant on the black plastic, but just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. If fading is the only issue to be concerned about, I really won't mind all that much if the black fades. I'm actually thinking about finding a nice gunmetal-gray carbon fiber wrap to cover all the black plastic parts. Of course, that would protect them from fading, but would give them a little bit better look, IMHO. I just don't understand the fascination with black on motorcycles. These things ought to all be done in high-viz colors, so the cagers won't have an excuse for hitting us.

Do you (or anyone else for that matter!) have any specific product recommendations for a good UV protectant for plastics? I'd love to hear it if so. As I'm sure everyone else would.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()