Author Topic: Cold mornings.  (Read 6412 times)

kneeslider

• View Profile
Re: Cold mornings.
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2018, 11:43:51 AM »
Finally got it to the workshop.

Got the throttle body cleaned and timing adjusted.

Yes, it was out.

Since my last post, it was notably getting worse.

Now she feeling smooth again.

1) less vibration at idle
2) at idle, no more is she hunting up and down the revs
3) starts up easier
4) more power in the rev range

Will try her out when it's cold tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2018, 12:05:20 PM »
Good news, and good for you!
Still having trouble getting my mind around "cold" mornings in Malaysia! 😊
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2018, 12:42:49 PM »
Cold here would be low 20d C.
Good news, and good for you!
Still having trouble getting my mind around "cold" mornings in Malaysia! [emoji4]

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2018, 08:55:38 AM »
Great news - glad the bike is doing well.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

richardhoward

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2018, 01:35:49 AM »
Hello!
I have a DT 200i and have similar problems to yours.  I live in Singapore so similar weather condition to Malaysia (hello neighbour!).

In the morning, and only the morning, I start bike for first time.  Starts perfectly and sets into normal idle, no issues.  I ride it out on my condo basement car park and towards the condo gantry, max maybe 70-100meters.  All good.  When approaching gantry I start to coast for the first time and approach a stop for the first time at which point the engine would normally go back to its 1500rpm idle.  However it doesn't, it goes down to 1000rpm and struggles occasionally just cutting out as the idle cannot sustain (sometimes it just manages to hang on and goes up to 1500rpm.  Problem doesn't;t happen again).  If it cuts out, restarting the bike is then difficult, cranking for 3-5 seconds to get it going, sometimes blipping the throttle to help it.  I ride on and the problem never happens again (so I assume the engine warmed up ever so slightly resolving it??).

I read your posts and it sounds similar.  Can you confirm what the issue was?  My bike is 2015 DT200i.  Only 19400km on clock.  Well serviced.  I just replaced air filter, oil filter, oil, spark plug, transmission oil, and that has not solved anything.  I tried the TPS reset procedure many times, doesn't make a difference.  I wonder if it is a sensor given that it only happens when cold and after a very brief period it never happens again (so warmed up).  But frankly don't know.

Thanks for any comments!

Richard

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2018, 02:39:33 AM »
Welcome Richard.  Noticed it's your first post in here.

Singapore has the DT200? I thought you guys only had the 300.

Anyways straight to your issue, have you noticed it's running slightly worse than before?

As per my post, I had the tappets checked and adjusted. My DT has loads of miles on it, so it was way overdue on my scooter, but I believe at almost 20,000kms, you should also have your tappets checked and adjusted.  While you're in there have the workshop clean the throttle bodies.

Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

Hello!
I have a DT 200i and have similar problems to yours.  I live in Singapore so similar weather condition to Malaysia (hello neighbour!).

In the morning, and only the morning, I start bike for first time.  Starts perfectly and sets into normal idle, no issues.  I ride it out on my condo basement car park and towards the condo gantry, max maybe 70-100meters.  All good.  When approaching gantry I start to coast for the first time and approach a stop for the first time at which point the engine would normally go back to its 1500rpm idle.  However it doesn't, it goes down to 1000rpm and struggles occasionally just cutting out as the idle cannot sustain (sometimes it just manages to hang on and goes up to 1500rpm.  Problem doesn't;t happen again).  If it cuts out, restarting the bike is then difficult, cranking for 3-5 seconds to get it going, sometimes blipping the throttle to help it.  I ride on and the problem never happens again (so I assume the engine warmed up ever so slightly resolving it??).

I read your posts and it sounds similar.  Can you confirm what the issue was?  My bike is 2015 DT200i.  Only 19400km on clock.  Well serviced.  I just replaced air filter, oil filter, oil, spark plug, transmission oil, and that has not solved anything.  I tried the TPS reset procedure many times, doesn't make a difference.  I wonder if it is a sensor given that it only happens when cold and after a very brief period it never happens again (so warmed up).  But frankly don't know.

Thanks for any comments!

Richard
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

richardhoward

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2018, 06:21:40 AM »
Thanks Kneeslider.

Yeah, we have the 200i here.  My choose was between that and the Burgman when buying :)

The engine doesn't run badly at all.  No issues with power or strange behaviour.  The only strange thing in the morning is as I described, at it only happens at that occasion.  Even the first 70-100m driving before I get to the gantry the bike behaves as normal and perfectly.   I cannot imagine 20k the tappets need adjusting... and there are no symptoms to suggest that other than the one cut out... I think.    But I can ask the workshop also what they think about the tappets?

For cleaning the throttle body was that pricy?  Ultimately I prefer the engine parts not to be dismantled, especially if this is not clearly identified as the root cause. But I can only imagine it is sensor related or maybe the same as you've experienced and highlighted.....  Really wish there was a way to identify?

Thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate your time!

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2018, 07:03:47 AM »
Hi Richard,

How long have you been suffering from this?

For me, when it first started to happen, the scooter ran like normal, but that slowly deteriorated as the days went by. As for the solution to my problem, adjustment of the tappets and cleaning of the throttle bodies worked. Also the cleaning of the throttle bodies is cheap!

Pulling the scooter apart is part of the maintenance process. Don't worry too much on it, providing you have a good mechanic that knows what he is doing.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

richardhoward

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
ok.  will speak with mechanic.  first started a couple of weeks ago.  That triggered me to get service done, which was due at 20,00km anyhow. Has the performance of my bike deteriorated since?     Not really, just the issue continues to happen.

Will grieve bike in and then see.

Thanks!

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2018, 02:54:57 AM »
Hi Richard,

Based on the owner's manual, the recommended schedule to adjust/check the valve clearances is every 10,000kms.

Perhaps you can have your mechanic to look into that for you.
2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Botakchek

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2021, 04:50:45 PM »
Hi everyone, first post on here and not sure if it's good etiquette to dig up an old thread from 2018.

I'm in sunny Singapore as well and just got myself a used DT200i from 2012. Has 101000kms on the clock, don't intend to do too much to the bike.

I have the exact same issues as Richard where the bike would just cut out completely when coasting/braking after the first X amount of meters. Can be anywhere from 5-15m it doesn't matter, still does it anyway.

Runs perfectly fine the rest of the day with no weird noises... Has any of you Richard or OP got this issue resolved?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2021, 05:17:24 PM »
Hi everyone, first post on here and not sure if it's good etiquette to dig up an old thread from 2018.

I'm in sunny Singapore as well and just got myself a used DT200i from 2012. Has 101000kms on the clock, don't intend to do too much to the bike.

I have the exact same issues as Richard where the bike would just cut out completely when coasting/braking after the first X amount of meters. Can be anywhere from 5-15m it doesn't matter, still does it anyway.

Runs perfectly fine the rest of the day with no weird noises... Has any of you Richard or OP got this issue resolved?

Only partly serious here....and welcome to the forum!...:

A nine year old scooter (don't know what that would be in people years) which has survived the conditions in Singapore - with over 100,000 km's on it - and still runs perfectly after a little bit of a stumble off the front porch ??!!
I'd say....give a nice new filter and some good oil, and a hug.
YOU should be so reliable at that age!

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Botakchek

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2021, 05:40:34 PM »
Only partly serious here....and welcome to the forum!...:

A nine year old scooter (don't know what that would be in people years) which has survived the conditions in Singapore - with over 100,000 km's on it - and still runs perfectly after a little bit of a stumble off the front porch ??!!
I'd say....give a nice new filter and some good oil, and a hug.
YOU should be so reliable at that age!

Stig

Hey Stig, thank you!

The bike has been regularly serviced by the only Kymco distributor here in Singapore so that might explain why-ish? It's not that big of a problem for me, just hoping it doesn't manifest into some crazy issue later on. Only intend to ride it for a couple of months before upgrading :)

Botakchek

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2021, 03:40:43 PM »
Just an update, workshop recommended a valve clearance, mechanic suggested valves too tight, hence the bike dying off in the mornings and works fine the rest of the day.

Will update after my valve clearance tomorrow.

In the meantime, I need to get the steering bearings replaced :(

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2021, 07:46:03 PM »
Just an update, workshop recommended a valve clearance, mechanic suggested valves too tight, hence the bike dying off in the mornings and works fine the rest of the day.

Will update after my valve clearance tomorrow.

In the meantime, I need to get the steering bearings replaced :(
Does removing gas cap solve your dying problem? (That is my favorite thing to harp about!)
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()