Author Topic: It finally happened..what now?  (Read 1837 times)

moparkid

• View Profile
It finally happened..what now?
« on: May 28, 2018, 06:39:25 PM »
After many years of riding my Hondas and Yamahas and now 5 years into my Kymco the "incident" has finally happened.....I was run off the road last month and had to dump the bike. (or was it 2 months ago? Old age huh...) Anyway, as it was my very first time to have a wreck on my bike I will say the training I got a few years ago during a bike safety course I took actually paid off! A car had pushed me into the curb and when I jumped the curb and sent me and the bike flying thru the air I managed to kick the bike from under me. It landed back on the street, slid about 100 feet and I on the sidewalk. You know when they say things happen in slo-mo....well that's exactly as I saw it, even though it took less than 3-5 seconds. Amazingly other than getting some major road rash on my left side, I managed to escape any serious broken bones. And with the adrenaline rush I just yanked the bike up, started it and rode it home. The yanking up of the bike hurt me more than the actual accident. I'm too hold to pick up 400 pounds but oh the rush! And other than a busted mirror (which I fixed easily enough) and major road rash on the left side of the bike, it rides just fine. Having on gloves, jeans and my helmet saved me from a potential really bad week as my head hit first on the shield. Now I am at the point of having to admit to myself...."do I need to be on this bike anymore? I escaped a really bad situation but would I be as lucky the second time? I was just in the process of selling the 300 to buy Charlie's Xciter 500 and now I wont get half of what I thought I could for my bike. Needless to say my wife is SOOOO against me riding anymore and I did promise her years ago that if I ever had an accident I would give it up...but since it wasnt my fault, the question becomes, do I tempt fate twice? Today was the first day I rode since the accident and I felt no fear....not sure if that's a good thing or bad. So....here's my question to you all....What is your criteria as to when its time to quit.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: It finally happened..what now?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 08:50:46 PM »
To each his own....but if my riding was causing my loved ones to seriously stress over my safety - I'd  quit.
I couldn't enjoy riding off on my scooter knowing that I was causing dread back home.
And in your case - you've made a promise.
Stig
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 08:52:59 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 12:55:02 AM »
I think you can get hurt doing anything. So long as you mitigate the risks the best you can and continue to have a good time.

I like being spooked from time to time. It keeps me alert. I worry when I get too comfortable and let down my guard.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

kymcogrampa

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 03:44:48 AM »
Let's face it, riding can be like being addicted to crack or booze. Deep down, one knows that it can be a bad thing, but just can't quit that easily. I've sworn off of bikes and snowmobiles so many times that I can't count that high.

The only dilemma that I can see here is the same as mentioned above...you gave your wife your word. What's that worth to you?

Kill joy Gramps
Scooters = great smiles per gallon.

ophelia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:58:51 AM »
I guess for me the question is "can the terms be renegotiated with your wife to both of your satisfaction?" As I understand, people change. Hopefully for the wiser. A promise that made sense some time ago may not be as clear of a decision today.

I made up my mind early on that the only one who can decide whether I ride is me. At the same time, I also try to learn from every crash or near crash. So far nobody in my life really worries that I won't make it home. I will likely be an old rider. I'm never the bold rider.
2011 Kymco Downtown 300i

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 05:18:57 AM »
So there's two issues going on.

One is with your wife. It sounds like you absolutely shouldn't have made that promise, and now you aren't sure you want to keep it. Unless it really did have that "unless it was not my fault" clause in it.

If you really do want to back out of that, you need to own the fact that this is what you're doing. Explain why it seemed like a good promise to make then and why you're having trouble keeping it now -- in fact do this, even if you don't decide to keep riding.

The other issue is, should you keep riding after an accident.

Ideally, you should have been aware of the risk in the first place. These kinds of accidents already happened to other people. The fact that it happened to you this time is really coincidental. And fate isn't going to get angry because you didn't listen the first time.

If anything, your risk is lower now because you hopefully learned something from this experience.

But maybe you're just now realizing that what you're doing is dangerous, in which case you simply need time to process how risky it is and decide for yourself whether to keep riding.

Personally, I will never give up two wheels, unless I physically must. I can accept the risk, even after it becomes viscerally obvious. Another person not being able to accept this would simply be a dealbreaker for me.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 12:40:57 PM »
One more thought from me :
I read somewhere, actually have seen it a few times in print, that more cycle accidents are single vehicle accidents than not.
You've had an off in the smaller category - so saying you weren't at fault does little or nothing to bolster your argument to change the agreement you've made.

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
I guess I'm curious about how and why this person ran you off the road. Was it truly and accident, or negligence on their part - were they texting, riding in bad visual conditions, or something else?

You could begin using helmet or action cams to record your rides in case something like this happens again. It could allow you to capture the party at fault - on video and perhaps later, legally as well. There are also more advance safety products out there for riders as well. Though somewhat expensive (for now) it's really nothing compared to the cost of a life.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/helite-turtle-airbag-vest

- Wolf

moparkid

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 09:15:03 PM »
Thanks to all for your comments. They are all helpful. Actually the deal with my wife was if I were ever at fault by sheer ignorance or just laziness that caused my accident I would stop. Yea I'm splittin hairs here. It was fun but the end is near. Emotions tell me to continue to ride but common sense says "hang em up boys"....

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:23:13 AM »
I quit flying not because of crashes but I got tired of aircraft owners. Your mission is not yet complete that is why you are still here. It makes little difference where you are or what you are doing, when our Creator calls us we are then gone. Common sense does enter like we sensibly exit a burning house unless we are a fire fighter or a medic on rescue then we ENTER the burning house! When I quit flying I had over 5000 hours of pilot in command time and had quit logging landings in excess of 12000. When I quit I was flying skydivers routinely to 12 and 14000 feet 30+ times per day. The job is fraught with hazards: premature openings of parachutes inside the cabin that head for the door, head out the door and OVER the tail, collisions with other aircraft unaware of the activity, you get the idea. It was time to quit and get away from the monster that owned the operation. I felt my number was close to being up. I don't have that feeling (yet) when I ride. I agree with Stig concerning the family. So does Forbes. It is your call.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:11:03 AM »
I worked nights as a motorcycle courier for a couple of years in all seasons and saw what I call the "battlefield" of riding; crashes, machine failure, exhaustion, self-employed poverty and the most irresponsible riding you could imagine. On the other hand, the was a connection between rider and machine like I'd never experienced before, real riding talent, the magic of the night-time economy and a real community between riders.

However, I'm with Crossbolt on this one - there's a feeling when your number is coming up, and I very much had that feeling towards the end of my time doing that work.

You're smart to acknowledge that our luck doesn't run forever. That doesn't mean that it is a black and white choice, however; ride or not ride. When my other half and I managed to dig ourselves out of the small pit we found ourselves in and moved away, I scaled back my riding to commuting to work in the daylight, and for the first time in a decade I'm going to give myself the winter off riding and put the bike away.

So I guess, in summary, what I'm saying is that you shouldn't ignore any doubt that you've had; but you can scale back rather than stop; it's not all or nothing.

And that's my thought of the day.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

kymcogrampa

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:38 PM »
moparkid, I'm glad that you're mostly okay. Skin and pulled muscles heal. I've never taken the safety course. Could this course help me at my age (60)? 

Gramps
Scooters = great smiles per gallon.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 07:44:44 PM »
moparkid, I'm glad that you're mostly okay. Skin and pulled muscles heal. I've never taken the safety course. Could this course help me at my age (60)? 

Gramps
YES!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »
I was way beyond 60, Grampa, when we took MSF basic course. It is what Stig said. Worth every penny.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 04:03:49 AM »
 I took my first coarse at 60 years , after not riding for 40 years ,  then at 75 when I bought a new downtown 300i,  then at 82 to get my full M again , such a diference in what they teach over those years,  when I started to ride you did not need a M just a drivers Lic. to ride every thing,  busses ,trucks,  bikes, 

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()