Author Topic: San Diego to Yosemite in a Super 8 150x  (Read 1734 times)

otavio

• View Profile
San Diego to Yosemite in a Super 8 150x
« on: May 30, 2018, 04:27:59 AM »
Hello everyone,

I bought a ‘18 Kymco Super 8 150x two months ago and I have been planning this trip from San Diego to Yosemite in the middle of July (got 15 days off so there’s plenty of time).

The plan is to ride through back roads and a maximum of 300 miles per day. I’ll be using Waze as my GPS (“avoid freeways” on) and will probably camp overnight around Maricopa in the way to Yosemite (half way) and camp in Yosemite North Pines Campground for two days (already have reservation).

For those who have been to Yosemite, I would like to hear your comments, suggestions and if there is anything that I should be aware of.

Do you think that I will be ok riding Yosemite roads in a carburated 150cc?

How steep are the roads? I don’t want to be blocking traffic when going uphill.

What is the maximum speed limit in the park?

Total distance from San Diego to Yosemite and back: 1200 miles

Thanks in advance!!

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: San Diego to Yosemite in a Super 8 150x
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 07:29:48 AM »
Hey man!

Sounds like quite the trip - I'm jealous. You'll be fine on your 150.

A couple of years ago I rode a 110cc about 1500 miles around the UK. I found anything over 200 miles a day to be a bit of a stretch, but you may have a different experience. Take lots of breaks, and you'll have periods where the journey is awesome, and parts where you're wondering why you've bothered.

Spare rollers, variator bushes and a spare belt are a must - make sure you're able to change all those bits over - have a practice before you go!

I took a hexi stove and cooked for myself wherever possible to keep costs down.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 02:59:34 PM »
Don't forget Palomar Observatory! That was my first real trip on the Honda 250 Hawk. That 150 ought to do better than my first motorcycle!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

big blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »
When I was in college (back in the Jurassic Period) my roommate rode a Honda 50 from LA to San Francisco TWICE. You'll do fine. Those California backroads are beautiful and a lot of nice small towns on the way.
2012 Kymco Like 200i LX (Sold)  Salem, Oregon USA

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 08:24:14 PM »
When I was in college (back in the Jurassic Period) my roommate rode a Honda 50 from LA to San Francisco TWICE. You'll do fine. Those California backroads are beautiful and a lot of nice small towns on the way.

That sounds like the perfect adventure
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

otavio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
Thank you for all advices and suggestions, very appreciated!!

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
Sounds like fun. I used to ride to cities and small towns outside of Rome and they were my most favorite travel times.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

ScooterWolf

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2018, 12:37:32 AM »
Sounds like a great trip. I'm not sure if you'll be able to make 300 miles a day. I rode from Philly to Ottawa in 12 hours on 300cc scoot doing an average speed of 75-80 on a major interstate. The trip was over 500 miles. You may just need to do the math on your average speed over the hours you want to spend riding. Make it an easy trip over trying to rush to a destination.

- Wolf

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 12:10:33 PM »
Crossed the Rockies a couple times in a VW Beetle. ....each time the altitude caused such a timing change she was backfiring on the throttle lift off, and pulled the steep bits in the upper 20's mph. New Beetle, too.( 1973)
Course it was carrying everything I owned.
And so began a long love affair with aircooled engines!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 10:08:17 PM »
You should be fine. Once you hit the small towns of the Sierras know that service and parts can be delayed. They tend to be laidback that way. Do watch for animals especially at night and early morning. Deer will be your biggest concern, but squirrels like to run in and out of traffic. It's a form of entertainment for them.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »

Spare rollers, variator bushes and a spare belt are a must - make sure you're able to change all those bits over - have a practice before you go!

Are you serious.  It's a Kymco.  Unless the belt has over 10,000 miles on it I wouldn't bring a spare.  I checked the current belt on my Super 8 recently.  It had 12,000 miles on it and still looked new.

I did a 5 day trip last year  on my 2009 super 8.  While the scooter may be able to do 300 mile days my butt sure couldn't, at least not on my Super 8.  You may want to try riding it for 300 miles in one day and see how you feel.

You may want to bring a a spare gas can since the range on these scooters is not very good.

Touring on small scooters is a blast.  Enjoy your trip.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2018, 02:45:17 PM »
Are you serious.  It's a Kymco.  Unless the belt has over 10,000 miles on it I wouldn't bring a spare.  I checked the current belt on my Super 8 recently.  It had 12,000 miles on it and still looked new.

Definitely serious - belts are a sod to source if they do go ping.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
Definitely serious - belts are a sod to source if they do go ping.

That's true for pretty much any part that breaks on these scooters.  Do you also carry a spare CDI?  That's just as hard to get and probably more likely to break on you.  My CDI did go out but I have never broken a belt.  None of the numerous belts I have replaced on my scooters even looked like they were worn very much. 

The most likely issue on a ride is a flat tire so I would bring a tire plug kit and some way to inflate the tire.  I carry that stuff on every ride.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
That's true for pretty much any part that breaks on these scooters.  Do you also carry a spare CDI?  That's just as hard to get and probably more likely to break on you.  My CDI did go out but I have never broken a belt.  None of the numerous belts I have replaced on my scooters even looked like they were worn very much. 

The most likely issue on a ride is a flat tire so I would bring a tire plug kit and some way to inflate the tire.  I carry that stuff on every ride.

Nope - poster asked for advice and I gave my opinion - i would carry a belt. Glad to hear you've had good life from yours!
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »

I have had a belt literally explode underneath me riding 70km/h.
Blocked the tire for a split second, but luckily let go.
The belt had less then 8000km.
Another belt had a few teeth missing, at 9000km. To be honest they were not original Kymco belts.
A spare belt, spark plug and the tools needed to replace them don't take up much space.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 04:41:12 AM by jeeves »
Agility City 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()