Author Topic: x500 restriction  (Read 5981 times)

Stargazer

• View Profile
x500 restriction
« on: July 29, 2010, 05:23:27 PM »
Recently thought about my first x500. It was from the first generation, 2006. As I remember, it was restricted to 160kmh or something like that. Now with my x500 2008, I'm not sure if it's restricted too. You guys have any idea?

ts1

• View Profile
Re: x500 restriction
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
No restriction with any Xciting.
Official top speed 147kph (with was hardly reached with the slightly inferior carb. model). And still its only 27.5 and 28.2kW.
Until last year Taiwan (Kymco resides there) didn't allow any motorcycles on the highway. Why building a high speed scooter?
Oh, on the speedometer we can see >160kph. But not nearly on the GPS (on flat street, bidirectional averaged).

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 12:28:13 AM »
...somebody posted here that their x500 was restricted...

...in the variator??

..can't remember...

???
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:30:27 AM »
Yep, when I was putting my new Dr. Pulley sliders in I found a washer in the variator.  Holds the pulley faces apart a little bit.  That's got to be a restriction but we're not sure if the belt would be long enough if it were removed.  I'm gonna try leaving it out one day.  Mine is a 2007, carburated.

I noticed when putting the variator back on, the belt seemed barely long enough to go around even with the washer in place, but that may be just a feeling I got since the belt IS big thick and tough.

The owner's manual --sorry, Service manual --shows the washer.  The parts catalogue does NOT. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 02:32:40 AM by Hoolander2 »

Stargazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:45:23 PM »
No restriction with any Xciting.
Official top speed 147kph (with was hardly reached with the slightly inferior carb. model). And still its only 27.5 and 28.2kW.
Until last year Taiwan (Kymco resides there) didn't allow any motorcycles on the highway. Why building a high speed scooter?
Oh, on the speedometer we can see >160kph. But not nearly on the GPS (on flat street, bidirectional averaged).
Well, I think Kymco thought about selling it beyond Taiwan. I don't think they thought about x500 only for Taiwan market.

As I have  read somewhere, it was restricted by ignition deactivation on 150 or 160 kmh. But it was on 2006 and maybe on 2007. But I have no idea about 2008 and younger. I've made 160 on mine and not sure if I'm able to do more... Never got the opportunity.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 01:49:06 PM by Stargazer »

msgtphil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 02:26:50 PM »
I think what you are referring to is what is commonly called a rev limiter. When the RPM's reach red line the ignition cuts out. It isn't intended as a speed restriction per se, but to protect the engine by preventing going beyond redline. Most all modern motorbikes are so equipped and some of the fastest are set as a speed restriction, in as much as the motorbike is geared so the engine red lines at a certain speed. Seems most companies got together and decided something like 179 MPH as limit for the U.S. market.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »
i think the restriction is in the variator but coz if you do some mods in it your top speed will increase even by putting dr. Pulley sliders. One thin i noticed my 2009 top speed is 165kph stock my dad's is a 06 model and only reaches 160kph. I am 6'2 and 250lbs he is 5'7 and 170lbs....
Redline is @ 8t but mine reaches 8.5t.

"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Dr. Scooter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
So the washer in the variator is a restricton or not. Just curious
2007 Kymco Xciting 500

Modding a scooter is a beatiful thing!

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »
According to "Meister Zip" (German Kymco Forum Admin and authorisized Kymco dealer) the washer is for belt protection and should not be removed.
Without washer you would need a longer belt to avoid extensive stretching. More favourable a second market vario.

drifter

• Twist n' Go Power!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 09:37:09 PM »
i rem0ved the washer before. All i got is clanking sound so i installed it again but i never tried to ride. I was on stock belt then
"it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow!"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 01:46:24 AM »
One of us should try to find a slightly longer belt then.  And try it with washer removed.  I will try it one day if nobody else does so first.  I just have so many things to do right now I may not get to it for months.  It would have to give a higher top end.  I suppose it might also result in less low end power -- just like putting a bigger front sprocket on a regular chain drive bike.  It's always a trade off, but the 500 has plenty of power to spare -- just depends on how you want your scooter to perform. 

I'd think the longer belt/washer removed set up would give lower rpm for crusing speeds -- better for touring perhaps?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 01:54:55 AM »
..i did just that with my A50...

..increased the belt length by about 1/8"...

..it will definately make your scoot run a higher top speed..

..however, without further cvt tuning, you might find that your mid-range acceleration lags...

..i've been able, by much trial and error,  :-\  to have maybe...finally...found a good combo of rollers and clutch springs...

..it's been a labor of love, i reckon...

..oh, and another thought...

..the longer belt may have a tendancy to flap against your starter bendix..this creates a groove about 1/16" from the inside edge on the o.d. of the belt...

..keep a close watch on it if you go that route...

peace

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 04:32:08 PM »
Don't think the 500 has a bendix in the CVT case.   We will have to look things over carefully to see what else might interfere tho. 

art

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 01:50:55 AM »
You should be ok on the starter bendix, most 150 and larger cc are run throught the case from the other side. I had a longer belt in the s200 for a bit and rattled around at idle,but once you hit the gas all seemed to be fine and ran taller in the gears. It was a lone so didn't get to test the longevity. Would like to try a little shorter than the one i had.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 03:50:26 AM »
Would like to try a little shorter than the one i had.

..you NEED one of these i found at my "local" dealer...

..i'm chomping at th' bit to try it on my ppl...

..it's GRREAT!!! on my guilty....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()