Author Topic: Wandering around Northern Ohio on my Super 8  (Read 1086 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Wandering around Northern Ohio on my Super 8
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 10:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the remarks about the new LIKE150i.
So, the dealer has a demo of this new LIKE?
71 accurate mph is a stretch of his credibility.
But maybe. (little guy is he?)
Many dealers told us the LIKE200I was freeway capable. Who knows how many survivors can testify to that dealer claim?😊

I hope justgottascoot.com does a full review soon. I trust those folks to give a no BS review.

The new Honda PCX/ABS is $1400 more than this two wheel ABS'ed Kymco.

My dealer knows nothing of these new Kymcos. Plenty of older models on his floor.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 10:19:18 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 12:48:15 AM »
Thanks for the remarks about the new LIKE150i.
So, the dealer has a demo of this new LIKE?
71 accurate mph is a stretch of his credibility.
But maybe. (little guy is he?)
Many dealers told us the LIKE200I was freeway capable. Who knows how many survivors can testify to that dealer claim?😊

I hope justgottascoot.com does a full review soon. I trust those folks to give a no BS review.

The new Honda PCX/ABS is $1400 more than this two wheel ABS'ed Kymco.

My dealer knows nothing of these new Kymcos. Plenty of older models on his floor.
Stig

The 155cc Vespa's will hit high 60s with a claimed 12.8 HP.  The Like150i has a 4 valve head and a claimed 13.5 HP.  71 MPH sounds plausible.  The guy who told me he got up to 71 is about average size it I remember correctly.  My Smax with a claimed 14.8 HP has hit an indicated 78MPH but those with GPS normally get top speeds around 73.  Anyway, the guy who told me this was the Owner of Cleveland Moto and seemed like a real knowledgeable guy.    I talked to him for around 20 minutes while he was assembling a new Vespa.  That's him in the picture below.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:53:03 AM »
This place had a lot of interesting stuff.

Anyone looking for a nice BV500?

I forget the mileage on this scooter but I think it was under 5,000.

400 2 smoke.

They had some riding gear aimed at scooter riders. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 01:02:54 AM »
Cool shop!- trade that one for my mega bike store with a couple of scoots (but to be fair 》 HONDA, YAMAHA, BURGMAN and Kymco....maybe they'll pick up my defunct Piaggio dealer.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2018, 05:02:05 PM »
Time to head back.  I took  a slightly different route back and got some more pics.

That's the B. F. Goodrich Blimp near the top of the next pic.

Tour bus on the left.  While that is one way to see the sights I was glad to be seeing them on my scooter.

interesting bike.

Before I went on this ride I was a little worried about going through some pretty bad parts of town.  It turned out to be a really interesting ride even though the riding itself was pretty boring.  A small scooter is perfect for this kind of ride.  The speed limit was almost always 25-35 MPH.  I did find out from the Cleveland moto owner that technically my Kymco is legal on the interstate highways in Ohio but I would have missed seeing all the interesting historical stuff.  I also would have had to run full throttle for 20 minutes or more and still be going slower than traffic. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
Friday was our the day in Ohio before we would have to head back home.  I went for one last ride.  I headed out to the town of Chagrin Falls.  It's a nice ride but the roads in Ohio tend to be in really bad condition.

This road is a bit rough but looks really cool.

I used to drive out to Chagrin Falls regularly because I worked in a paper mill on the edge of town.  This is all that's left of the paper mill.

Then I rode back into town and found a place to park.  This place is just a small town but it's real busy even on midday Friday.  There are a lot of people with money here as I saw number of porches and even one guy in an old Rolls Royce.

This town does have one main tourist attraction.

Another shot from a different angle.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2018, 09:06:22 PM »
Where's home?

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2018, 02:37:44 AM »
Where's home?

Stig

I grew up in Cleveland.  My parents live in Willoughby hills but home for me now is Huntsville, Alabama.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2018, 03:11:11 AM »
Great photos, really enjoyed them.  Thanks  ;D

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2018, 01:08:28 PM »
I wandered around town a bit.  It looked like they were setting up for some kind of event over the weekend.

Probably my favorite tourist attraction in town is the ice cream shop.  I didn't get any ice cream this time but did get a pic.

Then I headed back.  This was along the way so I stopped for a pic.  It made me wonder what it would be like to play scooter Polo

Did I mention the roads here were in really crappy condition?

At least the scenery was nice.

That's it for this trip.  I enjoyed the cooler weather in Ohio.  I only wore my mesh jacket a couple of times later in the week.  It was too cold for mesh my first few rides.  I was really glad I brought my Super 8.  With the low speed limits it would have been way to hard to obey them on my other bikes.

Thanks for reading.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2018, 01:38:38 PM »
Pavement conditions are one reason I  miss owning a motorcycle. I have long since sorted which county roads to avoid when out on my scooter.
No scooter is comfortable over lousy roads. After we take a seat on a scooter at least half of that 3.4" of suspension travel is gone.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2018, 04:56:14 PM »
Pavement conditions are one reason I  miss owning a motorcycle. I have long since sorted which county roads to avoid when out on my scooter.
No scooter is comfortable over lousy roads. After we take a seat on a scooter at least half of that 3.4" of suspension travel is gone.
Stig

My super 8 was fine on those rough roads.  It has 14" wheels and is agile enough to avoid the bigger potholes.  I have ridden my Super 8 on dirt and gravel roads it it handled them just fine as well.   My KLR650 would have easily soaked up those Ohio roads but it would have been real hard to keep it near the ridiculously low speed limits in the area.   

One thing about riding around in Ohio is that now that I'm back in Alabama I can appreciate the much better roads we have here.  Of course I have to deal with the 90+ degree heat for the next few months.  But I can also ride year round :) 

Everything considered all areas have their advantages and disadvantages.  It's nice to be able to ride in different areas.   The scenery and riding in Ohio is a lot different than down here.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 04:58:37 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()