Author Topic: You got your good Americans, and then you got......  (Read 840 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
You got your good Americans, and then you got......
« on: June 13, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
your bad Americans.
People that litter our roadsides are dumb, and bad countrymen.
Riding through Ohio farmlands this sunrise, I passed a very senior gentleman who had parked on the berm and, with bucket & tongs, was strolling in the ditch picking up trash. He was 1/2 mile from his car, along a soybean field.
I slowed, popped open my helmet and just said, "thank you ".

More than once I've had to police up a roadside before taking a scooter snap. Beautifully paved road through lush green crops....litter as far as you can see in the ditch.
Remember that Indian looking down on a SoCal freeway....tears in his eyes? Great public service commercial.
Stig
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 11:38:11 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
Re: You got your good Americans, and then you got......
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 12:24:06 PM »
My personal favorite: when there's large debris ON the road and everyone just swerves around and rides by, with never a thought for the next guy.  I have pulled over many a time and dragged off wood, metal, broken glass, "gators", etc. to the curb.  Used to drive a truck; I've seen what can happen when people run over that stuff.  Only takes a minute, and it never hurts to put some good Kharma in the bank...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:29:06 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
I recently saw on FB a small amount of penguins were standing on top of a small island of “plastic” in the middle of the ocean.   Not sure whereabout it was but it’s sad. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 05:59:06 PM »
... I have pulled over many a time and dragged off wood, metal, broken glass, "gators", etc. to the curb...
If I have to pull a gator off the road, it's time to move!
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 09:43:28 PM »
Unfortunately this problem is worldwide and it sickens me.  We have people dumping old mattresses and furniture in suburban areas so they don't have to pay the waste disposal fees.  I have found used diapers in trolleys at the local supermarket where someone has changed their baby in their car and just left a soiled diaper in the trolley  >:(  I use to live in a large town in central Victoria where you could drive 10 mins and be out bush and the amount of dumping that people did was just disgusting. Even the local charity bins just get used for dumping. There are a lot of times when I don't like my fellow humans.

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2018, 05:08:16 PM »
While there are a great amount of wonderful people out there, I have to agree that there are a growing amount of idiots who think only of themselves and don't give a flying **^@$## about the earth or leaving anything worth inheriting to the future generations. There is a line out of the sitcom "Scrubs" that, sadly, describes these jerks all too well: "People are b@$+ard-coated b@$+ards with b@$+ard filling". What is wrong with people!?! Irks me greatly.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

AKL_HBG

• 2016 Super 8 50x
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2018, 07:14:46 PM »
I would have say that the old saying applies here:  There is always one bad apple in every bunch.  I think that most people are law abiding citizens and do the right thing but some do not and choose to litter by throwing things out their windows.  I've seen this many times when I was a Trooper on the highways of PA and the PA Turnpike.  My pet peeve were those who chose to throw their cigarette butts, or even empty their whole ash tray out their car window!!

Gnzbrg...When I was a very young Trooper on the PA Turnpike I saw many recaps from tires lying on the roadway and always removed them accordingly.  But the first time I removed a recap/retread I did not wear gloves and the recap about burned my hand off....LOL!  Rookie mistake!!  =)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2018, 08:20:10 PM »
The saying is "One bad apple spoils the bunch."

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2018, 08:28:15 PM »
The saying is "One bad apple spoils the bunch."
Which, fortunately, does not apply to people.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2018, 10:57:58 PM »
I'm one of those that stop to move it out of the road. Specially those gators. I figure at my age when I do the return trip it may have been hit and flipped to my return side.
I may not notice it the next time....
Sure don't want to be hauling my little girl back home

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()