Author Topic: pulsation in rear drum brake  (Read 305 times)

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
pulsation in rear drum brake
« on: June 21, 2018, 12:51:00 AM »
2 posts in 1 night, I'm on a roll!  Sitting here on a rainy night and pondering my rear brake pulsation...

Backstory - from day 1 with the scoot the back brake squealed embarrassingly loud when used. About a year / year and a half ago I did all the disassembly to get the rear wheel off (2010 People S200) and cleaned, scotchbrited and sandpapered the brake shoes and drum nice and clean.

Worked perfectly and was quiet for a short time. Within a few months I all of a sudden felt a big pulsation in the rear brake...feels just like a disc brake in a car that is warped.

I can't imagine I would have done anything to lead to a warped drum? Any ideas on what could have happened? A chunk of brake shoe coming off? The brake shoes looked like new when I had it apart, everything was clean and working fine. I put probably less than 100 miles on it before the pulsation started...and it just ...started...one day.

I haven't been motivated enough to pull it all apart again (lots of disassembly to get that wheel off)...just wondering if anyone here has any ideas for me?
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: pulsation in rear drum brake
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2018, 12:07:51 PM »
Seems like it would take a lot of  heat to warp a drum.
Didn't start at the bottom of Devil's Gulch after coming down through Dead Man's pass, did it?
I got nothin here...

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
Re: pulsation in rear drum brake
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »
thanks, Stig, I got nothing either...it has one solid, thick drum that would seem extremely difficult to warp...and it was ridden gently with minimal rear brake use. I guess only pulling the rear wheel will reveal the issue...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()