Author Topic: Miss the COLD rides!?  (Read 384 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Miss the COLD rides!?
« on: June 29, 2018, 04:20:46 PM »
This does not look sooo bad.
Heat index is banging @100 outside today. Birds are walking.
Even moving down the road at 40mph is hot - no matter what kinda  gear you have.

Stig

Well.....this one was a bit nippy.
The day I set my personal record for commuting to work.
Snapped this at work after climbing off, 5:51 AM one fine February morning a few yrs ago. Temp was 3°F ( -16.11 °C)…..but clear roads and clear forecast (I ain't stupid !)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 04:29:12 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
Re: Miss the COLD rides!?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 04:57:01 PM »
Once in Maine, as I rode by on my bike, I waved to some friends who were ice fishing.  There's a saying up there: any day the plows ain't out is a good day to ride.  Yeah, right.  That's why we moved to Alabama soon as we retired.  Now in the Winter, I put on a shirt with sleeves...
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
-16! You are far tougher than I've ever been.

I've been out in the snow before; s'no fun.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 03:02:40 AM »
Today it was 102°F (38.8°C) here in eastern Georgia.

I submit that Stig is correct when he says that riding down the road in this heat (albeit I was at 52mph) nothing keeps you cool. The worst part of it for me, is that the inside of my brain bucket gets so sweaty to the point I can almost wring out the pads. Sitting at a traffic light on blacktop is the absolute worst. Utterly miserable, but not as bad as coming home from work last Wednesday evening. Just as I pulled out on to the main road from my workplace, the bottom fell out of the sky. I made it maybe 3/10 miles, before I pulled off the road to wait it out under the shelter of an abandoned car wash. Got treated to a magnificently beautiful lightning show, but the rain was so bad that visibility even sitting still was less than 100 yards. And it hurts when it hits you when riding above 25mph. I had to sit in the empty car wash for over 90 minutes before it finally stopped.

Last February, I rode to work at 7:30am in 14°F (-10.1°C) weather. It was miserable, but I have a well-insulated ski bib, a very warm winter jacket (Port West S464 modified with armor in the elbows, shoulders, and back) with a fleece zip out lining, and the absolute best cold-weather gloves I have ever seen. Port West A726 Aqua-Seal. They're so good that they can't be worn if it's over 45°F (7.2°C) otherwise your hands will sweat. Both are lovely high-viz...

To me, the best riding is March, April, October, November, and some of December. All the rest is one form of discomfort or another, only made tolerable by the machine on which I am sitting...
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()