Author Topic: Re-Sleeving Cylinder  (Read 392 times)

Chris0381

• View Profile
Re-Sleeving Cylinder
« on: June 30, 2018, 10:33:15 AM »
On my 2013 Super 8 2T, I just installed a new complete top end. So far 21 nice miles with it.

My old stock cylinder is scoured from the circlip/wrist pin bearing failure after 8k miles. Would it be worth to send this cylinder out to get resleeved if its possible and fitted with a new piston so I can have a spare top end in case of another failure or maybe swap it out after a few years of wear and tear?

The SSP-G HOCA kit I used costs $150 and I cant really compare it to the stock top end.

http://www.partsforscooters.com/169-404-Hoca-39mm-Kymco-Air-Cooled-Cylinder-Kit

Also, do people change their piston and rings after a certain amount of miles as a regular maint thing ?

I'm not too sure how long the SSP-G Hoca kits last and do know bike racers replace top ends every 25 hrs. I rode pretty hard for 8k trouble free  miles and can't fault Kymco in any way. Maybe I need to pull back on the throttle a bit more instead of always keeping up with traffic and let cars pass. Also, I may put on heavier sliders to decrease RPM's.

One note to the 2-stroke riders: The damaged piston and chamber was as clean as a whistle. Hardly a speck of carbon from using amsoil 2-stroke oil.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:21:41 AM by Chris0381 »
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: Re-Sleeving Cylinder
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 08:42:53 AM »
To be honest, it's hard to tell. If you think you're going to do another 8K on the bike, it can't hurt to be prepared!

Are there no aftermarket top ends available?

2T isn't really a strong point of mine, I'm afraid!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Chris0381

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 03:50:41 PM »
There may be some available but thought it would be cheaper to resleeve the cylinder to the original size with  a cylinder we know is fairly good quality to start. There is no real reviews on some of these top ends so I don't really know how much confidence to have in them. But say I was able to get a stock Malozzi 39 mm, top end, that would be different.
2013 Super 8 50cc 2T Air Cooled Mfg'd 2012
Stock pipe derestriction
Smooth Boss
6.5gm Dr Pulley sliders
Malossi Torsion Controller
Malossi Fly Clutch- yellow springs
Polini Variator
#95 Main Jet
Purple Malossi Contra Spring
42 MPH on the flats with the wind

Murphychow@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2018, 05:54:42 PM »
For the price of what it will cost to re-sleeve, and the cost of these kits. Probably not worth it IMHO.

My 0.05$

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()