Author Topic: Do you really need more than 150cc's ??  (Read 3389 times)

RidgeRider

• View Profile
Re: Do you really need more than 150cc's ??
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 01:37:59 PM »
I joined this forum to reply to the posts about road rage.

I live in the South, I drive the speed limit and I never have a problem with other drivers. Why? I try to drive courteously.

If cars are accumulating behind me or if one has been behind me for more than a minute or two, I pull off the road at the next opportunity and let them go by. If he seems agitated, I turn on my right turn signal until I find a place to pull off. When I'm just tootling along sightseeing and traffic is fast I might pull over more than once a mile. And I do speed up when someone tailgates me because I want to help him get what he wants.

The days when the passing drivers waved or beeped a thank you to me for pulling over as they went by (this used to be universal) came to an end about a dozen years ago, but that doesn't mean I have to follow their example. I don't pull over to get thanked any more than I hold the door open for the person behind me so I can hear a thank you. I do those things because that is how I choose to live my life. Others can choose the way they live theirs.

When I was young, before I learned to drive, my mother not only taught us children that, "Courtesy is contagious," there were signs on roadsides saying it.

I know one thing to be true beyond the shadow of a doubt even though it is far from obvious; the more I try to help others, the happier I get, and maybe safer, too.

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2018, 01:55:59 PM »
[quote author=RidgeRider link

I live in the South, I drive the speed limit and I never have a problem with other drivers. Why? I try to drive courteously.

Plus one on that sentiment.  I have found drivers in the DEEP South to be extremely curteous.   Here in Alabama they wave to everyone, even the cops.  Nobody pushes me, and I let them pass at the earliest opportunity.  Of course that all changes if I cross into (clueless) Florida or (aggressive) Tennessee...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 01:59:45 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
In rural areas only have I ever seen anyone wave at anyone else. In cities of any size (25K pop. or more) look out and drive defensively.

I live in Georgia, in a moderately sized city, with somewhat more than the aforementioned 25K. There is a non-incorporated area in an adjacent county that's populated by mostly upper-middle-class, well-to-do, have more money than they know what to do with soccer moms, inconsiderate teens, and self-important banker-type dads.

These people literally and honestly believe to their core that when they're on the road, neither the rules apply to them, nor is anyone else allowed to interfere with their driving because they belong to the right country clubs, they go to the right churches, contribute to the right political candidates, and have Money. (see what I did there?)

Around where I live, courteous driving will get you run over. Better keep your head on a swivel, have an escape-out, and don't look another driver in the eye.Rural areas are much, much better. Everyone there knows each other...

I can't imagine what driving in a city of more than 60K people is like. And I don't want to know, either.

I am seriously thinking about getting a go-pro or other type camera, with a mic pick-up, and recording all of the incidents I see and  have happen around me. You guys wouldn't believe it. And the worst part is, I never noticed it until I started riding on two wheels.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
I do
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »
Like to ride every where and I don`t like to hold up traffic.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 04:51:06 PM »
My Super 8 150 is about perfect for riding around Here in Huntsville Alabama.  I have not had issues with being too slow.  Drivers around here tend to be slow and lethargic, not what some have experienced in this thread.  I took my Super 8 up to Ohio where the speed limits are incredibly low.  I don't think I got on a road with a speed limit higher than 40 in the week I was there.  Except for some hills, 50cc would probably have been enough to keep up with traffic.

I have also taken my Super 8 into the Smoky mountains.  It struggled on some of the hills but for the most part I kept up with traffic and on many curvy roads traffic was holding me up.

I also have an Smax.  It has more than enough power for just about any road except some interstate highways. Of course it has a whopping 155cc's.

That's not to say that bigger bikes don't have their uses.  When I feel have the "need for speed"  I have a kawasaki Versys 650 which does quite well on the curvy mountain roads I live to ride.  It's complete overkill for city riding.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2018, 12:31:54 PM »
I can't imagine what driving in a city of more than 60K people is like. And I don't want to know, either.

It's like doing battle. Some people love it, some people hate it. "Combative" is definitely the word!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 03:51:38 AM »
My first scooter was a 2009 xciting 250 . I drove it 50 miles each way to work and back. It was barely adequate for the 4 lane stretch of highway that I couldn’t avoid. While it COULD do almost 80 for short stretches, 65 was as fast as I felt comfortable riding it for longer distances. And that was as slow as I could safely ride in the right lane. If my riding had been confined to the city or to the two lane rural road near my house, 150cc would have been fine.

Side note, 1 was only doing about 55 two years ago Tuesday when I had my accident which cost me part of my left leg. So 150 cc is PLENTY ENOUGH to mess you up if you hit something. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2018, 12:29:47 PM »
My first scooter was a 2009 xciting 250 . I drove it 50 miles each way to work and back. It was barely adequate for the 4 lane stretch of highway that I couldn’t avoid. While it COULD do almost 80 for short stretches, 65 was as fast as I felt comfortable riding it for longer distances. And that was as slow as I could safely ride in the right lane. If my riding had been confined to the city or to the two lane rural road near my house, 150cc would have been fine.

Side note, 1 was only doing about 55 two years ago Tuesday when I had my accident which cost me part of my left leg. So 150 cc is PLENTY ENOUGH to mess you up if you hit something. [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Forbes,

Yeah, I was thinking about you the other day. Knew we were nearing that anniversary.
You are the most serious off that we are aware of here - and are never far from our thoughts.

I still recall your pix of that lovely Majesty.
Do you suppose the name of your ride had anything to do with your escaping even more serious damage?
Would not surprise me. (will put that in my notebook of questions to ask.... later  :)

How are you doing these days?

Regards, Tom
PS - and yes, 55 is pretty darn fast for some of us - considering we're sitting in a motorized lawn chair with turn signals.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 12:32:37 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 11:06:24 AM »
Forbes,

Yeah, I was thinking about you the other day. Knew we were nearing that anniversary.
You are the most serious off that we are aware of here - and are never far from our thoughts.

I still recall your pix of that lovely Majesty.
Do you suppose the name of your ride had anything to do with your escaping even more serious damage?
Would not surprise me. (will put that in my notebook of questions to ask.... later  :)

How are you doing these days?

Regards, Tom
PS - and yes, 55 is pretty darn fast for some of us - considering we're sitting in a motorized lawn chair with turn signals.
Hmmmmm....  good question.

By the way, I’m doing fine. Doing ALMOST everything I was doing prior to the accident EXCEPT riding a scooter. Still haven’t decided whether to get back on one or not. But finances prevent me from having to make that decision for now. However I did get on my brothers BICYCLE a couple of days ago. At least I know I can still balance on two wheels. Lol. Thanks for asking.

For now I’m living the scooter life vicariously through you all.

2009 Xciting 250

Tiny

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2018, 12:33:40 PM »
175cc liquid cooled dream. This is the scooter i would  go for in a heartbeat if it were to come to NA.
https://www.kymco.com.tw/motor/racing-king-180
but sadly it never will. Neither will the new Racing S 150
https://www.kymco.com.tw/motor/Racing-S-150-abs

randyo

• Farmington, Strafford County, New Hampshire, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2018, 01:04:29 PM »
my first motorcycle (never owned a scooter) was a Honda Super 90,  that kept me happy as a teenager on the local Vermont gravel roads, but without a rev limiter....... well, it got hungry and ate a valve.

My next bike was a Honda CB125S, I was no longer a teenager, and I used the bike for more than a playtoy, it was 100 mpg transportation, but  too small for highway with a top speed of 65,  a bit faster downhill with a tail wind. In my mind at that time, the ultimate bike would be a 250

But, my next bike was an SV650, I started doing much longer trips, taking vacation at Deal's Gap, it didn't have the long legs I wanted on the highway, constantly searching for that elusive 7th gear

Now I have a V-strom 1000, I don't know how anyone would want any less power
RandyO
IBA#9560

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2018, 03:27:12 AM »
Having ridden 2 50 cc bikes, a honda sh 150cc,a gilera 180cc, 300gti and now a 400 xciting, I find that 400 has been the smoothest  of all my rides and I work in Providence RI. City and highway driving are easy on this bike. The extra cc's help me to avoid obstacles, like crazy squirrels with a deathwish...lol.  It is just as maneuverable as my 300 and it has the extra weight on the highway to handle wind buffeting. Also I have more storage. So yes, I like having more cc's. It also fits nicely in the bed of my Silverado...
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2018, 05:33:29 AM »
Looks a bit, & from the only spec I know specs a bit like the SYM RV200.  Essentially the same as my HD200 (~173cc liquid cooled) with smaller wheels.
They had 'em in the country for a couple years, didn't sell a whole lot.  Pity, nice bike.

175cc liquid cooled dream. This is the scooter i would  go for in a heartbeat if it were to come to NA.
https://www.kymco.com.tw/motor/racing-king-180
but sadly it never will. Neither will the new Racing S 150
https://www.kymco.com.tw/motor/Racing-S-150-abs
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

MJR

• View Profile
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

Tromper

• Seattlish
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 03:56:26 PM »
It occurred to me that what's probably the ancestor of the one you linked was also imported for a bit.
The Kymco Yager 200i.

I've seen both of 'em in person.  Both seemed like decent bikes. 
I own the big wheel version of the RV of course, & if the Yager'd had a bigger wheeled version I probably'd be interested.

Interesting.  https://www.alliancepowersports.com/models/rv_specs.html
2008 SYM HD200 "Niwanibiz"
2018 Suzuki Burgman AN650z "Bebaamaadizid"

k9 S200 (Blue) "Max" (Sold)
k8 SYM HD200 "Indigo" (Deceased)
k7 Suzuki Burgman 650 "Ohanzee" (Sold)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()