Author Topic: How in depth of an inspection should I do before leaving the dealership?  (Read 1878 times)

jmcdo13

• View Profile
I bought a cheap used  Chinese scooter last year to see if scooting was practical for me and enjoyable. It was! I have been doing research and decided on purchasing a 2018 Like 200i. The dealership I am working said that "they needed to locate" the scooter I wanted because they didn't have the color  (Matte black). Is this normal? don't they just order a new scoot from Kymco?

Anyway, my real question is how in depth should I go when checking out the scoot before leaving the dealership? I have done all the work on the current Chinese scooter. Are there any issues that have arose after leaving the dealership with your new scoot? I just read the post about the wobbly wheel. 

Any help/ advise would be appreciated.

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
I would consider the new Like 150i, if I were you. (Literally bought a brand new one today). Much better then the 200i, at least in my opinion.  But if you are stuck on the 200i, make
Sure they give you the 4 year extended warranty that Kymco is offering on them right now.  Other then that make sure they did a good pdi.  Check tire pressure, oil, and lights. 
2018 Kymco Like 150i

jmcdo13

• View Profile
Why do you feel the like 150i is better than the 200i?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Please check the specs and compare the old 200i vs the new 150i. The new LIKE150i was selected as "Scooter of the Year" for many reasons.
2 wheel ABS. brakes, MUCH better headlight, more powerful  engine, better MPG, price is nearly the same, LEDs, better seat.
The LIKE200I is a very good scooter - the new, 2nd generation Like150I is improved in so many ways, and is a better scooter.
It might come down to appearance for some - but you get so much more with the new LIKE150i. ...at nearly the same price as the old one! What's not to like?!
Don't let your dealer talk you into the 200i, just because he doesn't have the totally new model in stock.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:42:06 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
If price is a factor - the dealer better be knocking $500 off the list price of the 200i ! Otherwise, it's a deal breaker IMHO. (and I say this after 5 yrs of happy ownership of a LIKE200iLX! )
Buy the new 150i!
Stig
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 11:49:21 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
Why? Well, maybe because it has a way better seat and a better suspension for smoother rides, better smooth and silent 4 valve engine, LED Lights all around, Fueltank underneath the floorboard with better and lower center of gravity, easy access to fuel filler cap, battery underneath the seat for better access, ABS on front and rear wheel, better digital Display with more functions available, better overall design/style (more Vespa like),....

But there are a few minor downsides on the new model as well imho:
Thinner front tire (only 110 instead of 120) - which looks a bit girly like, Iwould change it soon to a 120
Smaller engine size (150cc instead of 163cc) - but maybe these 13cc dont make much of a difference
Low position of fuel filler cap on floorboard - might cause some spilling out of the pipe while filling, one might need to get used to it and exercise a bit
Heavier in general than the old model - if this matters depends on where you preferably need or want to ride, but it also shouldn´t bother too much
The design of the exhaust pipe is a catastrophy - very unsexy and unmanly but very girly like
Parts more expensive if needed (LED lights, ABS parts, Display etc.)

If I had to, I would invest my money in the new model at this time. Except I could get the 200i very cheap.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

jmcdo13

• View Profile
damn,  I should have posted this question  a couple weeks ago. I am already deep in the process. I just emailed the dealership. The 200i is in the works. I hope that I will still be happy with it. Im sure that it will still be a huge up grade from the Chinese scoot. Thank you for all the advice.

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
I also bought a 2018 Like 200i, and chose that over the new 150 based on size and price.  While I do appreciate the improvements made in the new model it felt smaller to me, especially the leg room.  And I got an incredible deal on the 200: $1695+ fees and taxes, total was $2392 out the door.  Only problem I had was a SEVERELY out of round front tire which made the bike unrideable over 40mph.  Dealer replaced it and everything else has been fine.  Coming up on 600 miles now, and other than the need for a more comfortable seat I am very happy with my decision.  So, if it fits better and you can get a great deal, perhaps the 200i would be a good choice for you too.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 01:13:25 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
damn,  I should have posted this question  a couple weeks ago. I am already deep in the process. I just emailed the dealership. The 200i is in the works. I hope that I will still be happy with it. Im sure that it will still be a huge up grade from the Chinese scoot. Thank you for all the advice.
Nothing says you gotta be a nice guy....if you can change your order. Did they tell you about the new model 150i? ?
 My salesman never showed me the  LX model. Did the paperwork on a red one. Then while shopping my free helmet, spotted the blue white LX. Told him to rip up the papers and start over --- "I'm buying the LX!"
Are you in some legal manner committed to the 200i?
Sure would at least get a big knock down in price of any left over 200i's !
 Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
The 200i is nice but it's now at the end of it's run. You'll be fine with it but if you can get a 150i instead then it'll probably be worth it.

The 200i is good though :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
OK, to reply to your thread questions:

After 5 years with my 2013 LIKE200iLX I can report that there were no faults with it upon leaving the dealership. I don't know how much the dealer has to do to set up the scoot - there are paint dabs everywhere on the fasteners - applied at the factory after shooting on the fasteners.

If anything, I found them to be bleedin tight when I tried to loosen them for servicing!
A small % of  models which came off the line in 2012 calendar year developed faults in the TPS (throttle position sensor) which were, in my case, taken care of under warranty with a new throttle body. Nevertheless - the scooter never failed to start, run, or get me home even with the faulty TPS.
Reading this forum for 5 years >>> Have not heard of any other issues with the powertrain in the other model years. One shock came loose; one rear footpeg came loose: a plastic panel tab broke. And we have heard here of maybe 3 LIKE's with faulty tires/wheels.

Pretty darn good track record for what so many of us consider (around the world - for fun check out the LIKE club in the Philippines) a rock solid scooter. (doesn't seem to be much the dealer can do to screw up the LIKE200i!)

As for paying for extra years of warranty - beyond whatever ifs offered as standard warranty - I would NOT.
If this scoot is going to fail - it will be within those warranty years 99% of the time....and if not, parts are cheap.

You've got a great scooter! Easy to service. Uses less than a Qt of oil at changes. (so, I do it often!)
If going to do any rain riding - recommend swapping out those nylon Kendas for some Michelin City Grips.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Having assembled a few scooters out of the box, the deal usually fits the luggage rack, fits the front wheel, attaches the mirrors and does general checks that things are bolted on correctly!

Aside from that they don't do all that much to them! They should thoroughly check everything's OK.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
Kymco is offering a free extended 4 year warranty on the left over 200i probably to move them. 
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Having assembled a few scooters out of the box, the deal usually fits the luggage rack, fits the front wheel, attaches the mirrors and does general checks that things are bolted on correctly!

Aside from that they don't do all that much to them! They should thoroughly check everything's OK.
I helped uncrate my Piaggio Liberty150i  to look for the color I was after
All it needed was mirrors attached. I test sat it while it was still fixed to the wooden skid. (then bought it)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
I helped uncrate my Piaggio Liberty150i  to look for the color I was after
All it needed was mirrors attached. I test sat it while it was still fixed to the wooden skid. (then bought it)
Stig

It's good to see that Piaggio do it better. I've started saving for a Medley 300 now to eventually replace the Like 200.

The only stuff I uncrated were Lexmotos - sometimes the biggest selling brand in the UK, but doesn't exist outside of the country!

A block of wood goes between the front forks and the spindle holds the forks through the block of wood, hence locking the bike in place. It's not a bad system actually.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()