Author Topic: DO you really dislike shifting?  (Read 1299 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
DO you really dislike shifting?
« on: July 10, 2018, 11:47:54 AM »
Rode my son's CB500X the other day.  I'm not short, and that bike is tall! Don't know the seat height...but the whole bike is tall.
If I  buy it, I'll probably add the lowering kit. Maybe not - if it were to screw up the handling. This thing is dumb easy to ride. Engine is so docile. Can pull away with no throttle.

I read so often that people ride scooters because they hate shifting.
I miss shifting. Always enjoyed it. Probably would feel differently if I had to commute throufh a crowded city, which is also not fun on a scooter!

Anyone else like shifting?
"Snick, snick" and away you go! Cool!!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: DO you really dislike shifting?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 12:55:43 PM »
Yes and no - I've got no problem with gears out on the open road, and they'd probably suit the commute I ride nowadays a lot better.

However, when I was at my scooter-riding peak as a courier it was all city centre, stop-start and weaving all day long. In this environment I fell in love with the ease of twist-and-go.

It's been a couple of years now but I'd like to think that a gear box would still come naturally :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 01:26:05 PM »
I still have two motorcycles.  I don't mind shifting at all.  In stop and go traffic I prefer an Automatic but  otherwise I don't really have a preference except on mountain roads where I prefer shifting.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
Hmmm... That's a tough question.
Personally, I like the idea of having that one less thing on which to concentrate. I try to ride defensively, paying a certain amount of attention to what's on the road around me, and not having to shift removes one more thing from the equation, no matter how habitual or subconsciously it's done. Twist and go just simplifies things, I suppose.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 02:28:47 PM »
Got a couple motorcycles and a couple scooters.  They all have their uses.  Love riding the scooters around town and for short rides. But I've always enjoyed riding down a good back road, snicking into fourth as I enter that curve, powering through, and settling back to fifth.  Aahhh... 

Next week I'll be "up ta Camp" in Maine, running my KLR 650 up and down those mountain roads.  Be getting me plenty of back road riding in THEN, boy-ee!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2018, 02:32:45 PM by Gnzbrg »
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 04:18:31 PM »
One thought.....riding through town on expansive blvds....on a motorcycle, clutching etc. keeps me more in tune with my
surroundings. Twist and go is sometimes a brainless activity.
Just me probably. ...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 04:29:00 PM »
Shifting.......
It's just something to do on the big bike. Neither like/dislike here.....
different things affect different riders in their own way.
To me the shifting is just something that takes my away rather than adds to the riding enjoyment. (unless I'm in twisties AND competing 8))

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 04:31:07 PM »
I used to really like the mechanical power train where it took some skill to do it correctly especially when the manufacturers started adding more gears beyond four. However, it is hard to beat INFINITE numbers of ratios! I think that's why a lot of these scoots perform so well: they are always in the right gear!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

GLV55

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 09:16:19 PM »
Hmmm... That's a tough question.
Personally, I like the idea of having that one less thing on which to concentrate. I try to ride defensively, paying a certain amount of attention to what's on the road around me, and not having to shift removes one more thing from the equation, no matter how habitual or subconsciously it's done. Twist and go just simplifies things, I suppose.
I will second everything said here - sums it up perfectly for me.
2014 Lance PCH 150
2007 Kymco People 150 (totaled by a drunk, Oct. 2013)
Nampa, ID

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 09:50:18 PM »
I used to really like the mechanical power train where it took some skill to do it correctly especially when the manufacturers started adding more gears beyond four. However, it is hard to beat INFINITE numbers of ratios! I think that's why a lot of these scoots perform so well: they are always in the right gear!

Actually, they're not.  Coming out of a tight uphill hairpin most scooters just bog down at low RPM.  I rode some twisties with a couple of T max riders a few weeks ago.  They both complained about the tight hairpins.  On my Versys I could pick the right gear and just blast out of those corners.  My Majesty does the same thing.  It isn't really in the "right gear until I'm going around 40 or so.  My Super 8 also bogs down at times.  My Smax on the other hand has a great variator and if I'm going over about 18MPH with the throttle pinned it will be at or above 7000 RPM, right at peak torque.

The other problem with a CVT is it doesn't do engine braking nearly as well as a manual.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:11 PM »
I don't mind shifting and miss riding a motorbike at times.  The Honda CB500X is a great looking bike and should be more popular.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:55 PM »
I don't mind shifting and miss riding a motorbike at times.  The Honda CB500X is a great looking bike and should be more popular.
I like it, too. (esp. the upright riding position) He added a white front fender, adj. levers, and those skid things on the side, reflective rim tapes, and Tailblazer pulsing bulb--- after this photo. That's not a loud muffler.
Photo of us in the village, shortly after he bought it. (my old Forza)
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2018, 01:53:41 AM »
Klaviator has a point. Slow speed is a bit limited. It would be better if we had the option to stop the variation at the lowest speed (highest ratio) for the tight twistys and parades.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2018, 07:05:18 AM »
Surely a CVT with a correctly weighted variator should be in it's element - low speed power should be what it's good at!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »
Surely a CVT with a correctly weighted variator should be in it's element - low speed power should be what it's good at!

True, but most variators don't seem to do this well.  If you tune it for low speed power you will be running at higher RPMs at higher speeds at the cost of more engine wear and fuel mileage.  The Smax seems to be well tuned for this but it gets around 80 MPG vs the 100 MPG the PCX gets. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()