Author Topic: That "All-Important 600 Mile Service" is here!  (Read 1982 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
That "All-Important 600 Mile Service" is here!
« on: July 15, 2018, 02:31:32 PM »
On Friday (the 13th no less!) I turned 600 miles on my way home from work!
Now it's time for that service appointment. I'm not going to attempt it on my own, even though I feel like I could, but am going to make an appointment with the service department at my dealer.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I get Diana back from the shop.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: That "All-Important 600 Mile Service" is here!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:08:13 PM »
On Friday (the 13th no less!) I turned 600 miles on my way home from work!
Now it's time for that service appointment. I'm not going to attempt it on my own, even though I feel like I could, but am going to make an appointment with the service department at my dealer.

I'll let you all know how it goes when I get Diana back from the shop.

Does the manual specify that the valves  are to be checked at 600 miles?
If so, has the dealer agreed to do the valve check?
How much is the dealer charging for the 600 mile service?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:30:57 PM »
All of what Stig asked plus: why do you think the dealer will do a better job than you?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 10:26:18 PM »
Got my 600 mile service coming up, too.  I plan on doing the fluid changes, valve adjustment, and spark plug swap myself.  (More control over what goes into my new motor.)  I DO plan on having the dealer run the diagnostics and give it a good "once over".  Best of both worlds?...
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 03:09:29 AM »
Question is do they really check the valves though? 
2018 Kymco Like 150i

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 01:37:00 PM »
Okay, let me take these in order...
Stig asks:
Does the manual specify that the valves  are to be checked at 600 miles?
If so, has the dealer agreed to do the valve check?
How much is the dealer charging for the 600 mile service?
The manual specifies the following at 600 miles:
Check: Crankcase Breather
Replace: Oil, Oil Filter, Transmission Fluid
Valve Check N/A according to the Manual, so the dealer doesn't need to check. Oddly, no air filter or spark plug check either.

I have no idea of the cost. I'll find out later today when they call me back to tell me the appointment time.

Karl asks:
Why do you think the dealer will do a better job than you?
I don't think they will do a better job than I will. I decided when I bought it that the 600 mile inspection would be done by the dealer so that I wouldn't have to worry about any details, and to show them some loyalty for me getting such a great deal on the bike. I got it for a little less than their cost plus my trade-in. I figure a little goodwill will go a long way.
Gnzbrg touches on something that also matters to me. They're better equipped to do diagnostics than I am, and have all the necessary tools and equipment for that.

Snoopzilla asked:
Do they really check the valves though?
Since it isn't on the maintenance schedule, I honestly don't think they will, unless it's part of their diagnostics routine. I don't know that yet.
However, as I said, I will report on everything once I get my appointment time and get her back.

You guys have me nervous now...  ::)
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »
It'll be fine. Have faith in your dealer! No point otherwise.

...says the guy who's previous dealer broke my Suzuki 3 times.

1) clipped panels together incorrectly
2) didn't tighten head bearings
3) aligned handlebars incorrectly so steering lock/parking lights no longer worked
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 06:05:30 PM »
OK, as I thought. Fluids change and empty the puke tube.
Air filter and spark plug aren't going to be bad in 600 miles (maybe in 6000 for the filter, plugs last a long time these days)
Look things over, check tires,  and listen to it start and run.
My dealer wanted $378 for my LIKE200I 600 serv.
No dice.
Figured it couldn't be much more complicated than my VWs.

Whole mess'o scooters out there with plenty of miles on them with untouched valves.
Wouldn't sweat it at 600 miles.
(I would. But that's just me.)
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 07:30:54 PM »
Well, Evil, I am about to feed your paranoia! The track record for Kymco dealers is fairly poor and it is all on this forum. It is hard to find but it is well documented. Now, there ARE good dealers out there and they are documented here as well but they are way fewer than the nightmares. Kymco has NO tech school. They figure that since most new Kymco dealers also have other motorcycle lines as well as ATV's there is no need for a special tech school. That has some merit but there are differences that are not well explained in the service manual. Dealers are NOT required to have the analyzer tool! And most of them don't! And resist spending the 200 bucks on one! And fight tooth and nail until the customer gripes and pressure FORCE them to get one! The grand total of what dealer techs don't know about the different models is staggering. Dealers have not been required for quite some time to have any parts inventory since very few parts have ever been required. That's a good thing to know but if you ever NEED a part your dealer will have to order it and usually you will pay shipping unless you are willing to wait for a stock order....a loooong wait!

So how is your 600 mile service gonna turn out? Don't know. I could only guess and that would not be really fair. I hope it turns out well. I, personally, would never send my bike to any of them and never have. I would recommend you MAKE DARN SURE everything is right and not scratched up.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 08:40:34 PM »
I think general mechanical knowledge would get them pretty far, IF it were solid. What differences are you talking about?

I could imagine damage to the plastic in particular being easy if they aren't intimately familiar with that particular model. Sort of a design problem in my opinion.

The general impression that I've gotten is that they are extremely... lazy? incompetent? cheap?... about actually diagnosing problems. It sounds like more often then not, they'll just guess and throw parts at the problem (some times installing them incorrectly). And take their time doing it. And charge the customer for THEIR misdiagnosis.

It doesn't shock me then to learn that they resist buying the analyzer tool. That's a diagnostic tool after all.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 10:41:39 PM »
Hypo, you are on target! The service manuals are no help in telling anyone how  or in what sequence to remove body panels to get to a specific area. We, on this forum, have used general mechanical knowledge to meet and usually exceed easily any dealer shop. I think most of these guys are MMI grads if that that have little or no experience. I think the big problems are with the owners, always in a hurry and really tight with a buck. I thint one of the biggest problems with dealer techs is the same with aircraft mechanics: EGO. Pilots, motorcycle and scooter folks are operators of the respective equipment and generally do not know HOW their machines actually operate. So the mech and techs feel they are superior and can feed just about any bull and we will swallow it. Many times they can shovel a pant load on us and we will leave which is what they wanted in the first place!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 10:49:16 PM »
OK, as I thought. Fluids change and empty the puke tube.
Air filter and spark plug aren't going to be bad in 600 miles (maybe in 6000 for the filter, plugs last a long time these days)
Look things over, check tires,  and listen to it start and run.
My dealer wanted $378 for my LIKE200I 600 serv.
No dice.
Figured it couldn't be much more complicated than my VWs.

Whole mess'o scooters out there with plenty of miles on them with untouched valves.
Wouldn't sweat it at 600 miles.
(I would. But that's just me.)
Stig
Holy sh**e?!?!?   $378 for 600 miles service!?!?!!   Here I though $120 was bonkers for my girls Vespa Sprint 600 Mile service.  Funny thing is my first service for my VW Golf is only $65 and it uses 6 x the oil
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 11:28:41 PM »
Holy sh**e?!?!?   $378 for 600 miles service!?!?!!   Here I though $120 was bonkers for my girls Vespa Sprint 600 Mile service.  Funny thing is my first service for my VW Golf is only $65 and it uses 6 x the oil
They had sold several of my LIKE200i scooters - yet they said the cost is high "because they have to go through all that plastic to get to the engine."

I'd never seen the guts of a scooter in my life - but I was holding the feeler blade in the intake valve in 45mins. (now in @20 mins) Dealer was charging 3hrs labor.
Figured they weren't lying....but their serv. computer thinks all scoots are as bad as Burgmans or PCX's to service the valves.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2018, 11:33:51 PM »
They had sold several of my LIKE200i scooters - yet they said the cost is high "because they have to go through all that plastic to get to the engine."

I'd never seen the guts of a scooter in my life - but I was holding the feeler blade in the intake valve in 45mins. (now in @20 mins) Dealer was charging 3hrs labor.
Figured they weren't lying....but their serv. computer thinks all scoots are as bad as Burgmans or PCX's to service the valves.
Stig

Oh I get it now. So I am assuming they are more of a motorcycle/powersports dealer that sells some scoots too, but is more specialized in the motorcycle/powersports kind
Of place right?  There are some of them around here.  But I am lucky and
Have a place called scooterville, though you still don’t want to bring it in there for service all the time.
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2018, 11:54:22 PM »
Oh I get it now. So I am assuming they are more of a motorcycle/powersports dealer that sells some scoots too, but is more specialized in the motorcycle/powersports kind
Of place right?  There are some of them around here.  But I am lucky and
Have a place called scooterville, though you still don’t want to bring it in there for service all the time.
OK, I dug out the paperwork he printed up for me on April 20, 2013.
 I think this was the day I bought this scooter. "Say, how much is that first service?"
Price was itemized, printed out for me - $375.35.
Included valves, ride and components check.
And these new parts: NGK plug, airfilter, washer, 2 qts engine oil, 1 qt Honda gear oil, shop fees.
3.5 hrs of shop labor....$315.00

Yes, it's a big motorcycle dealer, but they do sell Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kymco scooters.

I was a little discouraged when I walked away from that service desk. $375 to service a little Taiwanese scooter.....I was hoping to save $ by owning a scooter!
Frankly, if I'd had that conversation with the service desk before I bought the scooter - I would not have purchased any scooter. Probably would have purchased a Honda motorcycle, like my son did.
Stig
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 11:58:25 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()