Author Topic: You want to ride, but you're no kid, so....  (Read 485 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
You want to ride, but you're no kid, so....
« on: July 25, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »
...to get back out there on two wheels you bought a scooter because it freaked your family less than a motorcycle would have.
Many of you never stopped riding - so you don't count here.

But some of us hadn't ridden in 30 or 40 years when we bought our scooter.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?
Stig

« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 07:18:29 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: You want to ride, but youre no kid, so....
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 12:51:48 PM »
Me and she! Perfect description! Introduced to really modern, reliable, snazzy scoots totally beyond Cushman or Vespa.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: You want to ride, but youre no kid, so....
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »
No one tell them that scooters are every bit as dangerous.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: You want to ride, but you're no kid, so....
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 08:20:27 PM »
Yep, Hypo, ya can get just as damaged or dead on a scoot as a motorcycle. With the scoot, I can hold it up, got a built-in fairing and on board storage! You also can get just as dead in a Cessna 150 as a Boeing 767!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:03:12 PM »
Yeah, but unless you go really BIG (300+ cc's)- most scooters do not compare with the speeds which most motorcycles travel. Nor are you trying to control as much horsepower as with a motorcycle.

I beleive that the largest % of members here are riding on less than 250cc's. And maybe a lot less.

And isn't too much speed the major cause of most serious 2-wheel offs?
Surely there are figures to show that 100 motorcyclists cause more injuries, and more serious injuries, than 100 scooter riders?

Stig
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 09:05:18 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 10:24:48 PM »
A little over six years ago I kept dropping hints on my wife that I like to get back onto two wheels. She wasn't buying it. One day while walking around one of the little shopping districts in our city we came upon a scooter. She said why don't you get one of those. At the time I wasn't thinking of a scooter as an option, but hey it's got two wheels and she approved of it. Next thing I know I am off to the local Vespa dealer. Then sticker shock! I just could not get myself to part with that much cash for a scooter. I went back and forth over the idea of buying a scooter or forgetting about two wheels altogether. After talking it over with the sales guy he suggested the Genuine Buddy 170i or the Like 200i. The Buddy I felt was a little small, but the Like fit me perfectly and it looked like a Vespa. The price cinched the deal for me at half the price of a Vespa. I picked it up the next day and quickly feel in love with riding a scooter. Reluctantly last summer I traded my Like for a motorcycle as I needed more power and since I am in my late 50s felt I may not have that much more time before I can no longer throw my leg over a bike to ride. I miss my scooter, but I know when the time comes and I can't swing a leg over a MC I'll be back on a scooter.

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 11:11:48 PM »
There might be some truth to that, and maybe you know that you personally would be driving faster and less cautiously with a more powerful bike.

Of course, there's 125cc motorcycles available too (although these days, you might need to buy used), but I'm guessing they'd be a harder sell.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 11:13:26 PM by hypophthalmus »

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()