Author Topic: Question about fuel injection scoots  (Read 922 times)

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
Re: Question about fuel injection scoots
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2018, 01:24:31 AM »
A question I have is: if having the pump in the fuel tank isn't necessary for cooling, why not make it external? I'm especially wondering for larger vehicles where dropping the fuel tank is a large hassle.

Jonnielights

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2018, 01:26:02 AM »
I drove all winter in NYC and my 200i never failed to start, not once, with temps. as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit.  I did make a point to take it out for a mile or two, every 3-5 days when it was the coldest, but drove regularly (about 20mi a day) once the temps. hit 15- 20F.  Also I occasionally add a fuel injector cleaner, once or twice a month, just a cap or two. As a daily commuter I often enough run the tank to the first, or more uncomfortably, to the second red line of the gas gauge, (there are just very few gas stations left in Manhattan anymore) and I have yet to have any problems, other then anxiety as a result.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 03:15:50 AM by Jonnielights »
2015 Kymco Like 200i LX- Gold with Black Stripes
2015 Honda CB500XA- Grey and Yellow
Queens, NYC

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2018, 01:48:11 AM »
A question I have is: if having the pump in the fuel tank isn't necessary for cooling, why not make it external? I'm especially wondering for larger vehicles where dropping the fuel tank is a large hassle.
  Simple answer: vapor lock. That was a problem even in the old mechanical fuel pump days. Putting the pump inside the tank eliminates a suction side and decreases the chance of vapor lock. SOME gasoline cars and trucks have an external pump. But they also have a low pressure IN TANK pump as well.

Many DIESEL trucks do not have an in tank fuel pump because diesel is not subject to vapor lock. Example: an f250 With a gasoline engine has an in tank fuel pump. But one with a Diesel engine has only external fuel pumps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2018, 01:49:21 AM »
I drove all winter in NYC and my 200i never failed to start, not once, with temps. as low as 0 degrees Fahrenheit.  I did make a point to take it out for a mile or two, every 3-5 days when it was the coldest, but drove regularly (about 20mi a day) once the temps. hit 15- 20F.  Also I occasionally add a fuel jet cleaner, once or twice a month, just a cap or two. As a daily commuter I often enough run the tank to the first, or more uncomfortably, to the second red line of the gas gauge, (there are just very few gas stations left in Manhattan anymore) and I have yet to have any problems, other then anxiety as a result.
You just illustrated the beauty of fuel injection.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2018, 01:54:24 AM »
Finally, although many may not care about it, it much easier to control emissions with fuel injection than it is with a carburetor. To illustrate: at our Ford dealership, in winter its common to have several cars running inside the shop with the doors closed and ONLY the exhaust fans running.
But if by chance ONE carbureted car comes in, the doors must be open   Or the exhaust will become unbearable.

2009 Xciting 250

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2018, 02:01:11 AM »
I've come to realize that fuel injection actually offers quite a wealth of information for diagnosis.

Not really that costly to fix either, if you can diagnose and replace the part yourself.

For my van, all I needed was a $10 OBDII bluetooth device and $5 of software. I think I could have gotten nicer software for $30 if I weren't so cheap.

It sounds like motorcycles come up a bit short with regards to this though -- I think the proprietary Kymco tool is some hundreds of dollars for something that probably isn't as good.
True. In the MAJORITY of cases once we become familiar with a vehicle be it a scooter or a pickup, a simple reading of the code , a check of the basics, and experience with what usually goes wrong with a particular brand will lead straight to the correct fix. It’s only the oddball problems that tend to be difficult to diagnose. As for cost, although an individual component may be fairly expensive, the repair costs over time are typically much lower than with a carburetor even if you have to pay someone.

2009 Xciting 250

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2018, 03:14:49 AM »
I've come to realize that fuel injection actually offers quite a wealth of information for diagnosis.

Not really that costly to fix either, if you can diagnose and replace the part yourself.

For my van, all I needed was a $10 OBDII bluetooth device and $5 of software. I think I could have gotten nicer software for $30 if I weren't so cheap.

It sounds like motorcycles come up a bit short with regards to this though -- I think the proprietary Kymco tool is some hundreds of dollars for something that probably isn't as good.

Yeah it’s a good thing they made obdII a standard thing for autos otherwise every manufacturer would have its own proprietary thing.  If only they’ll make a standard for motorcycle/scoot/ATVS....
2018 Kymco Like 150i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()