Author Topic: Joining the 21st century w/ LEDs  (Read 607 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Joining the 21st century w/ LEDs
« on: July 29, 2018, 06:19:39 PM »
I tried cheap LEDs a few yrs ago - but they fell apart and started blinking off and on -NOT a good thing for front running lights. People think you're turning!

So, today ordered 3 LEDs >  better quality amber front wedge lights for the running lights - and a dual purpose red rear bulb for the brake light.

The LIKE already has a massive tail light ( a + selling point to me) and very good front running lights - but figured it was time to try the improved LEDs.
Will post when I DIY.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
Re: Joining the 21st century w/ LEDs
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 07:17:20 PM »
I tried cheap LEDs a few yrs ago - but they fell apart and started blinking off and on -NOT a good thing for front running lights. People think you're turning!

So, today ordered 3 LEDs >  better quality amber front wedge lights for the running lights - and a dual purpose red rear bulb for the brake light.

The LIKE already has a massive tail light ( a + selling point to me) and very good front running lights - but figured it was time to try the improved LEDs.
Will post when I DIY.
Stig

[quote\]

Nice!  Let me know what you used.  Bought an led/euro turn signal kit from Scooterwest for my girlfriends Vespa sprint and its over paid garbage.  Her tail light is so dim it’s dangerous.  I love my led lights on my Like 150i so bright.  Except the headlight is a little dicey at night, I will load up a review of that soon.
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »

Will post when I DIY.
Stig

[quote\]

Nice!  Let me know what you used.  Bought an led/euro turn signal kit from Scooterwest for my girlfriends Vespa sprint and its over paid garbage.  Her tail light is so dim it’s dangerous.  I love my led lights on my Like 150i so bright.  Except the headlight is a little dicey at night, I will load up a review of that soon.

Headlight is dicey?!!
Figured that LED light would be like a bleedin' train!

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:28:26 PM »
Headlight is dicey?!!
Figured that LED light would be like a bleedin' train!

Stig

The headlight is a bleeding train with the brights on.  With just the regular the beam is concentrated on an area like 50-75 feet ahead, but right in front it’s just kind of not.  Nothing crazy bad but almost have to ride with high beams on when it gets dark to see both ahead and right in front.
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:24:45 AM »
My Burgman 400 had the same problem when delivered. I finally adjusted the beams down...made a big difference. Was then a great pair of lights for my daily dark rides.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 01:38:21 AM »
My Burgman 400 had the same problem when delivered. I finally adjusted the beams down...made a big difference. Was then a great pair of lights for my daily dark rides.
Stig

Yeah was wondering if I just needed to aim it.  Gonna have to figure that one out.  Nothing in the owners manual about how to aim headlight
2018 Kymco Like 150i

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 02:04:38 AM »
I would really love to add LED headlights to Diana, but I just can't find any that I have any confidence installing. I've read so many contradictory, confusing, and complicated things about LED headlights that I just have no confidence whatsoever. The main thing is, I can't get past the "oh the fans break down and the lights fail" or "they only look bright when you're looking at them, but don't put any light on the road" comments that I see on various forums, comment sections and reviews.

So I use the brightest Halogens I can get (The Sylvania Silver Series) and add LED running lights to make me more visible.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:06:46 AM »
Yeah was wondering if I just needed to aim it.  Gonna have to figure that one out.  Nothing in the owners manual about how to aim headlight
Under the headlight cowling should be a screw head - with screw body aligned fore and aft. Since screw is below the light, screwing IN pulls the light beam down. Screwing out raises it.  No adjustment for left/right aiming.
Bigger scoots often have a different arrangement.(reaching from under then up into the cowling with a tool)....but all have a way to change the aim of beam I think.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
Under the headlight cowling should be a screw head - with screw body aligned fore and aft. Since screw is below the light, screwing IN pulls the light beam down. Screwing out raises it.  No adjustment for left/right aiming.
Bigger scoots often have a different arrangement.(reaching from under then up into the cowling with a tool)....but all have a way to change the aim of beam I think.
Stig

https://ibb.co/haDgyo

This is what my adjustment looks like.  Still working on images but maybe this link will work. Almost
Looks like I loosen the screw and assume I pull forward to raise and push back to lower then tighten screw.  I will find out tonight
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 09:36:38 PM by Snoopzilla »
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2018, 09:51:24 PM »
https://ibb.co/haDgyo

This is what my adjustment looks like.  Still working on images but maybe this link will work. Almost
Looks like I loosen the screw and assume I pull forward to raise and push back to lower then tighten screw.  I will find out tonight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Kymco Like 150i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()