Author Topic: New Engine after 18,000 miles  (Read 16337 times)

rigpa

• View Profile
Re: New Engine after 18,000 miles
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2010, 02:52:43 PM »
hello and thanks.  so i don't need to use gasket sealer at all?

sid, are you saying put the first circlip in and then install the cylinder and then put the 2nd circlip in?

linda

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »
i got one more issue:

when i was trying to remove the cylinder i thought it would help if i removed the air filter housing for better access to the cylinder cover bolts.  well, i got the air filter hose off the carb, but that was it due to a stripped bolt.  Now i can't get the damn thing back on.  I've loosened the hoseclamp but the issue is actually getting the hose back onto the carb--it won't seem to go on.  i was wondering if i ran a hair dryer over it for a minute or two to make the plastic more malleable if that would help?  thoughts?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2010, 03:05:10 PM »
Put the first circlip in the piston, then put the wrist pin bearing in the conrod, then install the piston and wrist pin then the last circlip. If the gasket surfaces are clean and undamaged then you won't need a sealant. But I would prefer to hear from others on this though, I wouldn't want to give you bad advice.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:17 PM »
Just a dab of oil inside the hose or on the outside of the connector might be safer and easier . Good luck .
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 03:19:48 PM by juice »

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2010, 05:00:25 PM »
Yep, that's what Sid is saying.  ;) 

The hairdryer idea is a good one in my opinion.  Juice's advice good too.  Do both.

Either way on the gasket sealant.  Some sealants start to harden up so quick there's hardly enough time to apply it and then get piston into cylinder, head on, bolts in and tightened before it's too hard already.  Why not go without it this time. 

Main thing is tighten all head bolts as evenly as possible.  It'd be nice to have a torque wrench but can tighten by feel. 

Hey ZX guys (Sid) should the head bolts be re-tightened slightly after a warm up --cool down?   

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2010, 05:21:08 PM »
Yes, I think so, after a warm up and cool down, just check the bolts, 10lb/ft I think is the correct torque, eveness is the most important thing. Hair dryer is the best for those awkward airbox pipes, I recall a nightmare with a particular GPX, but, she was worth it. :)

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 08, 2010, 05:52:35 PM »
rock-n-roll, looks like my saturday is spoken for.  so, after i get the scoot back together, should i start her up and take her for a spin, let her cool down and tighten the bolts and then put those engine covers back on.  in other words, no problem if i don't have those covers on right away?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 08, 2010, 06:35:45 PM »
Yes, put the shrouds back on, they guide the air over the engine for cooling. When you get the engine back together, run it for a few minutes, let it cool, then check the bolts and you should be right.

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 08, 2010, 09:17:12 PM »
thanks.  i'll give it a go.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 08, 2010, 10:24:10 PM »
Good luck, if anything gives you any hassle, just be patient and you will be fine.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2010, 06:54:45 PM »
sorry i hadnt been around.... congrats..... sid is the man... ;)
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
Good News!  She's done.  I got the circlips in myself after practicing on the old piston.  Geez, is that hard.  Circlips were flying all over the place.  I did have to take the scoot a half block down the street to the guy who sells Motofinos (I know, I know) and have him install the the cylinder.  Couldn't figure out how to keep the rings in place and squeeze them and put the cylinder over them all at the same time. 

So, how do i break in this new cylinder?

also have some electrical/lighting issues, but i'll make a new thread after searching to see if it's already been talked about or no.

thanks for all your help.  it's wonderful!

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
i got one more question, i'll ask here.  it's about the cdi unit.  the holder was rubber and it's shot.  therefore, the cdi unit just hangs there.  sometimes i stuff it in wherever, usually sitting on the cylinder cover.  any thoughts about a permanent fix?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2010, 03:39:51 PM »
If you can still put it in the 'pouch', for want of a better word, use cable ties to strap it to  the original bracket.
Congrats on your engine. I won't advise on breaking in the new cylinder, I just ran mine as usual, but I think you aresupposed to run about half to three quarter throttle. Again, congratultions, now you can enjoy your scoot again.

rigpa

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
thanks, sid.  pouch is the perfect word and the pouch is sitting on my front porch.   zip ties sound good.  i'm pretty relieved to have the scooter back running.  now i gotta fix my left tail light bulb being out.  i hope i just need a new bulb.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()