Author Topic: Do you wear earplugs?  (Read 1058 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Do you wear earplugs?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
count me in the 100% yes camp...I listened to enough loud music when I was younger that i don't want to speed up the inevitable hearing loss...and about everything you read points to wind induced hearing damage while riding motorcycles / scooters. I also wear earplugs when I mow my lawn and use my trimmer..earplugs don't bother me at all.
Yes, full face helmet users are still at risk due to something referred to as "overpressure", even if they feel that they're experiencing less road noise.
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2018, 06:53:58 PM »
I wear them 99.9% of the time.  Sometimes on a real short ride I won't but that's rare. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

TroutBum

• 2012 Like 200i (sold)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 03:04:47 AM »
Waste of good cheese there, trout!
Stig

I find that after a single use the cheese doesn't hold it form. It maybe due to their age. I've had this pack a couple of years now.

Thinking about it, recycling would be a good use of resources. Stig, send me your snail mail address. I start sending you my once used ear plugs.  ;D

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2018, 03:44:36 PM »
Researched more into this. It's hard to find numbers, especially from people who aren't interested in selling you earplugs.

One article I found (https://ridermagazine.com/2011/05/13/hearing-protection-for-motorcyclists/) says that 55mph results in 90dB of noise. Another chart says that 95dB is fine for 4 hours. The article also says that 75-80mph results in 105dB, acceptable for roughly 1 hour.

This means that most of my earplug free trips have been fine for my hearing. But those 6 hour trips at mostly 80mph before I discovered earplugs were probably terrible.

Still, I might err more to the side of caution and start wearing them more often.

christianblessing

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2018, 11:58:03 AM »
I backed a project on Indiegogo called QuietOn. Active noise cancelling earbuds. They are super effective at cancelling wind buffeting and low frequency vehicle noise, but I can still hear essential ambient sounds and can carry on a conversation without removing them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Kymco X-Town 300
Kymco People 250
Kymco 200i
Vespa P125X
Yamaha N Max 155

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()