Author Topic: Removed the underseat bucket - Turn Signal woes  (Read 1386 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Removed the underseat bucket - Turn Signal woes
« on: August 13, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »
I've taken the bucket out from underneath the seat in an attempt to get to the turn signal wiring, and there is no place to make a connection to the standard turn signals in the bodywork! There doesn't even seem to be any place where a wire could come out to connect to the harness!
All I have managed to do is trace the wires from the pumpkin stalks back to where it disappears into the harness.

Is there anyone out there who knows anything at all who might be able to help me figure out how to hook up the existing in-body turn signals?

I'd post a photo if I thought I could take one good enough to even make anything out...
Help!!
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Removed the underseat bucket - Turn Signal woes
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 07:54:03 PM »
Oh, boy! Bright idea: Find where the relays and flasher module and activate a turn signal. Follow the noise. I will bet the relays are up front under the instrument panel behind headlights. That have hazard flashers?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 09:39:47 PM »
Don't know why, but this reminds me of this ----
Heard it one night on the radio in Boston:

Fellow walks into a tavern in Vermont one rainy night. Approaches 4 old guys playing cards, "Say, how do I get to New York city from here?"

"You can't." One of them says.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Stig: Har-dee-har-har...  :P
Karl: You're on to something there. And you're correct. All the bloody relays are up front. Dammit.  >:(
I sat down in despair in the garage (on the newly-repaired and stench-free flooring of the platform!) and picked up the tablet to look through the PDFs of the Service Manual. I ended up somehow on the bodypanel removal pages, and I saw it.

They showed the interior of the rear body panels.

If you'll look where the green arrow is pointing, you'll see the back panel that encloses the turn signal.

This is the view in Diana, with the luggage bucket off.
56630" border="0
I took that panel off, (two small phillips screws) and saw that there is nothing plugged into the circuit board.

That means there is a way to hook up the turn signals.

Here's a close-up of the empty plug connector:

If I can figure out exactly what kind of connector fits that plug, I can wire it to a pair of leads that have bullet connectors and plug that puppy directly into the existing harness. Wait... "bullet plug connector" you say? Why, yes! That's what the pumpkin stalk wiring uses to connect into the harness. I believe I can salvage those connectors, by soldering my leads on to those wires, and that will enable me to connect the normal turn signals!

I just need to figure out what the heck those plug connectors are, and then try to find a pair!

Any suggestions?

1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 01:06:05 PM »
Show the cell phone pix to a guy at an electronics supply counter....or Radio Shack nerd.
Or a teenager.
Someone with advanced gizmo knowledge.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
Brilliant, Stig!

Except for one thing. There are no more "electronics supply counters" anymore. Radio Shack has long closed all their brick-and-mortar stores, and the only teenagers I know are vacuous, empty-headed Xbox addicts. Well, that's three things, but...

I've looked up a few electronics suppliers online, and sent out a half-dozen emails. We shall see what kind of responses come in.

I'm not going to give up. No way, no how.

To be continued...

---
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 09:24:34 PM »
Try some local ham radio guys. Some are pretty sharp unlike me (KI4ZUQ). Computer repair guy?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 10:21:08 PM »
Try some local ham radio guys. Some are pretty sharp unlike me (KI4ZUQ). Computer repair guy?
Somebody...was it MJR??  gave us a link to a crazy good electrical supply house for motorcycles. Every kind of electrical fasteners you can imagine.
Anyone else remember?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2018, 01:01:24 AM »
 :D  if your scoot is the same wiring as my downtown 300i   the wire you are looking for is next to the headlight wire, when you take the front end off and unhook the lights ,  the wire is missing on the front end part only. I found a pin for the plug and wired the turn lights from there., did not touch the mirror light wires,.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2018, 04:57:19 PM »
:D  if your scoot is the same wiring as my downtown 300i   the wire you are looking for is next to the headlight wire, when you take the front end off and unhook the lights ,  the wire is missing on the front end part only. I found a pin for the plug and wired the turn lights from there., did not touch the mirror light wires,.

Problem with that is, I'm at the other end of the bike. I'm trying to connect the rear, not the front.

I can't connect the existing OEM turn signals without finding out what this plug connection is.

The electrical supply house to which Stig refers, is cycleterminal.com and I've already contacted him. He's not sure what it is, but pointed me to another place that might have something, and I am currently waiting to hear back from that place.

I think it's what they call a Molex JSC Connector, but I don't know which one, nor how to determine which one, without taking everything apart again, and measuring the precise dimensions of both the opening, the size of the prongs, and the distance between them. Even then, I am not certain I will be able to find exactly the right one.

I'm debating trying to contact a parts house in Europe, to ask if they have, or can get, that specific part of the wiring harness. That will give me two plugs, which I can connect to the rest of the harness. Unless I have to get the whole freaking harness, and then I don't know.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2018, 06:07:41 PM »
Probably good news:
Someone on an electronics forum where I've posed this same inquiry, has pointed me to the RC airplane community where this connector resembles very strongly the same type of connectors they use to hook up their batteries.
So, now I have to find an RC group nearby, and dump all this on them!
I'm like that infinite number of monkeys at the infinite number of typewriters with an infinite amount of time.
I don't necessarily have to know what I'm doing in order to accomplish something!
Stupor Mundi!!

---
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 09:05:51 PM »
Great idea! Those RC guys are like hams and here. They will welcome you like long lost!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 09:39:02 PM »
Great idea! Those RC guys are like hams and here. They will welcome you like long lost!

I once (over twenty-five years ago, in another state far, far away) tried to visit an RC airplane group with the intention of learning about and possibly joining. They were the rudest, most unfriendly, keep away from my stuff, I got mine you get yours, get your own types of people I have ever seen. A bunch of crotchety, cantankerous, grumpy, unfriendly old men I had ever seen.

Now that I am a crotchety, cantankerous, grumpy, unfriendly old man myself, I should fit right in if the local group is anything like that.

I've managed to find one, and I'm in the process of starting up communication (their website hasn't been updated in over a year) but there are several email addresses. So, if and when I hear back from them, I'll report.

And once I find out what this @&*$!# connector is, I'll post that too. I might end up making a "Euro Winker" tutorial for my fellow American owners. One can only hope...

---
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 01:00:07 AM »
Oy!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 07:27:46 PM »
Good news and bad news.

First, the bad news. I heard back from the email I sent to the RC flyers group. Here is their response in it's entirety:

"We can't help you. We're not motorcycle mechanics."

Now the good news...

A very nice guy, Christopher, from Vetco Electronics in Bellevue, Washington examined my drawing, photos, and measurements to find out what this plug and socket are. And he found them.

They even have them in stock. It's a JST-PH 2 pin connector. The female side of it is even pre-wired with 11" of 26AWG wire. Christopher said that the sketch I made almost exactly looks like the socket part they have in stock, and the measurements I gave him exactly match the manufacturer's engineering drawing.

So, I have six of them on order. (in case I screw some of them up)  The shipping isn't all that bad at $8.50, but it's worth it to me.
Here's the link to the part: https://vetco.net/products/jst-ph-connector-male-female-pair-pre-wired-2-pin

and here's the link to the company website: https://vetco.net/

We're making progress folks!

---
1982 Honda PA-50

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()