Author Topic: Maintenance: Miles or Months  (Read 3301 times)

Rhodan

• View Profile
Maintenance: Miles or Months
« on: September 03, 2018, 02:27:26 AM »
Question:  what is people's experience with the miles vs. months suggested maintenance schedule?
I've had my scooter for some time but haven't put a ton of miles on it (couple thousand).  According to the "months" part of the maintenance schedule, I'm overdue.  For example, I've had it more than 2 years and haven't done the 2 yr/12000 mile maintenance yet; it currently has about 5000 miles on it.

So...I'm going to have several things done at the dealer after riding season is basically over.  I'm wondering if I should be including that 2 yr service.  What are people's thoughts/experiences on this topic?  I realize I'm fully and solely liable for whatever mayhem I embark on. ;)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Maintenance: Miles or Months
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:36:14 AM »
Which services,  specifically,  are we talking about here?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »
The thing I'm most concerned about is the belt.  According to the owners manual that's the biggest difference between the 6000/1 yr service and the 12000/2yr service.

I'm going to have them do the 6000 service regardless; 5000 miles is close enough and I really am tardy on some things (spark plugs, air cleaner, brake fluid).  Of those, the brake fluid and air cleaner are the two I really want done.

I'm wondering if the drive belt should also be replaced due to the time vs. due to the miles.

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »
Just an addendum that the scoot has been running (and stopping) fine.  The only thing I've noticed at all is the throttle seems to take a little longer to fully engage the drive than it used to when starting out from a stop.  It could also be my imagination:  last time (this spring) I had it into the dealer for service and specifically asked to have that checked.  They reported back that it was responding normally.

I haven't been a total slacker.  I have had the oil/oil filter changed regularly and I do take time into consideration for that. 
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 01:25:12 PM by Rhodan »

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2018, 08:24:45 PM »
One more question:  It still has the original tires on it (it's a 2012 People GT 300i).  Ouch!  To be fair, I did ask my dealer earlier this year whether I should be putting on new tires and he said for city scooting, they should be fine a bit longer.  But...when I last inspected them I noticed the beginning of some checking/cracking so I'm going to replace them this Fall also.  It looks like Michelin City Grip is the most likely tire for the size I need.

Here's the question:  I know on motorcycles it's not uncommon to replace the wheel bearings every one or two tire changes.  Probably every two now that I think about it.  Is it common to do the same with Scoots?  I did do the wheel wiggle test when it was on the centerstand and everything still seems tight to me.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2018, 01:34:04 PM »
Wheel bearings on these seem to be exclusively ball bearings with two seals. My test when the wheel is off is visual: are the seals still there? Is there excess grease all over? Then physical: is the inner race easy to turn with a finger? Answers, yes, no, yes means leave it in until next time!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 02:00:08 PM »
Thanks, I'll definitely have them check that too then since the wheels will be off to change the tires out.

The good news is there's no current obvious signs it needs it but I've been a shockingly horrid custodian; time to give it some TLC.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 03:28:24 PM by Rhodan »

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 02:31:09 AM »
Called the dealer to schedule service.  On the question of the belt, the dealer basically left that up to me.  He did say that the belt replacements they've typically done are due to use, not age.

Getting Michelin City Grip tires and I'll have them check the wheel bearings while they're at it.  Thanks Crossbolt for that feedback.

Put a couple hundred miles on it while I've been on vacation.  Lots of fun.   8)  Definitely need to get that wind screen replaced though....  Currently running stock due to a car not watching where they were backing.  At 60 to 70 miles an hour, that's plenty blasty.  I found leaning forward at least took some of the pressure off the chest.

Anyone find aftermarket seats for the GT?  I thought Corbin made one but I couldn't find it when I looked this weekend.

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 12:34:41 AM »
Just got the scoot back from its 6000 mile service.   Wow!  Feels like a new bike again. 

I did decide to have them replace the drive belt.  When they got it off, the dealer said the old belt was still usable so it probably wasn't necessary.  I mention that in case anyone had the same question I did about miles vs. months.  The dealers feedback is months make more of a difference with fluids.  Not as much with other things.

While they were in there they cleaned/adjusted the pulley system.  Before the service, my GT had a lag between when I turned the throttle and when it started really going.   This was from a stopped position.  Now it's instant which is how it had been orignally.  I suspect that was the clean/adjust though, not the new belt.

New tires are great:  two thumbs up on the City Grip.  I really like them even though they're far from scrubbed in yet. 

I'm happy I finally got the brake fluid changed; it hadn't been in the entire time I've owned the GT.  I will try to not let it go that long again.  Honestly I can't feel the difference but stopping is even more important than going.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 07:04:37 AM »
Here's the question:  I know on motorcycles it's not uncommon to replace the wheel bearings every one or two tire changes.  Probably every two now that I think about it.  Is it common to do the same with Scoots?  I did do the wheel wiggle test when it was on the centerstand and everything still seems tight to me.

Just keep your eye open for play. Some of my scooters have eaten wheel bearings for breakfast, some not so much. There's only conventional wheel bearings on the front wheel, remember :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Texxan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2018, 10:28:42 PM »
Years...not months
10k not 3k

Not needed

oil/filter every 5k or once a year

A spark plug only lasts 6000 miles??
(were not talking Chumpion spark plugs here)

Kymco maintenance is a  profit after sale tactic

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 11:27:12 PM »
Some parts deteriorate with age. Here in California sun and smog will rot rubber so replacing tires and drive belts due to age is wise maintenance but spark plugs don't age and now that we have unleaded gasoline they rarely need cleaning or replacing, only adjusting because the center electrode burns away.

Oil does get contaminated with condensation just sitting, although in a scooter not as much as in the large crankcase of a car so age is probably not a factor. I suspect the time issue is mostly for dealer profit.

I say inspect the components and use your judgement as to replacing them. Brake fluid does absorb water and replacing it every two years will prevent wheel/master cylinder corrosion but otherwise will not affect brake operation. I open the bleeder and pump/pour new fluid in via the reservoir, takes me less than 10 minutes per side. ABS bikes definitely should have brake fluid changed every two years.

I never replaced a wheel bearing on a two wheeler and I have gone at least 200K miles on my various motor bikes. Those are sealed, lubed roller bearings with little weight on them. If no side play, no notchiness, leave them be.
2009 GV 250

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 02:08:02 AM »
Just keep your eye open for play. Some of my scooters have eaten wheel bearings for breakfast, some not so much. There's only conventional wheel bearings on the front wheel, remember :)

Sorry about this stupid question - What does “conventional bearing” mean ?

My scooter is a 125 Agility and when I ride on a curved road there is a slight noise which sounds like a bearing noise when I go around a curve. When I ride on a straight road, the noise disappear completely.

I already started wondering about the bearing brand on these scooters. Does it come with high quality bearings, or cheap Chinese crap ?

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 08:01:44 AM »
Sorry about this stupid question - What does “conventional bearing” mean ?

My scooter is a 125 Agility and when I ride on a curved road there is a slight noise which sounds like a bearing noise when I go around a curve. When I ride on a straight road, the noise disappear completely.

I already started wondering about the bearing brand on these scooters. Does it come with high quality bearings, or cheap Chinese crap ?

Yes, that was poorly worded. I mean, the front wheel has two bearings, sealed, the circular type. The rear wheel doesn't have any bearings itself as it just sits on a splined drive shaft - however the shaft has a bearing at the gearbox end, although, personally, I've never had one of these go.

From my time working with Chinese bikes, we had very few bearing problems - even Chinese bikes seem to put decent quality bearings in from scratch so I wouldn't worry. My Honda C90, on the other hand... used to EAT them. Every six months.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 04:34:01 PM »
Yes, that was poorly worded. I mean, the front wheel has two bearings, sealed, the circular type. The rear wheel doesn't have any bearings itself as it just sits on a splined drive shaft - however the shaft has a bearing at the gearbox end, although, personally, I've never had one of these go.

From my time working with Chinese bikes, we had very few bearing problems - even Chinese bikes seem to put decent quality bearings in from scratch so I wouldn't worry. My Honda C90, on the other hand... used to EAT them. Every six months.
When I removed my rear wheel of my LIKE200i for a new Michelin at @ 14,000miles, I took the wheel and new tire to a Vespa dealer and used the opportunity to have the Vespa mechanic use his press to replace the bearing in the rear fork. I don't remember that he charged me for it.
Purchased a very good quality bearing from ebay for @ $7. Japanese.....though it looked exactly like the Kymco bearing. For $7, I figured let's do it while the fork is in my hand, and he has the proper equipment for installing bearings in scooters!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()