Author Topic: My moped died and won't start ???  (Read 880 times)

tuko

• View Profile
My moped died and won't start ???
« on: September 03, 2018, 09:13:03 AM »
It's been a very long time since I've posted here and to be honest my moped has been faultless for several years with yearly general maintenance. BUT with that said last Thursday on my way to work the moped died in an intersection and wouldn't start afterwards.

So with it home in the garage, I've 1) checked for spark, yes, 2) checked for fuel delivery, yes it has plenty with the lines and filter being clear, 3) the automatic chock checked and registers 15oms 4) removed the carb and using the compressor blew out all passages, but I have to say that the internals of the carb appeared to be perfectly clean.

Still no luck, it won't start. I've killed the battery so it's on the charger right now. I can add that I even tried with starter gas and nothing.....I have to admit defeat as I can't see why it won't start right now. There's spark, so I can't see the Cdi being a problem, there's gas to the carb and fuel bowl is full of fuel. ???

With the spark plug out the motor turns over fine with no ill sounds from any part of the engine.

Anyways I'm hoping that maybe some or one of the experts here can shed some light on this starting problem and give me a few helpful tips/suggestions.

Thanks in advance,
Todd.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: My moped died and won't start ???
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 02:30:32 PM »
Run-stop switch in run position? You did say it had spark....
#2 plenty of fuel...lines are full....does that mean you can get free flow?
#3 electric choke reads 15 ohms but does it move when voltage is applied?
Is the float and float valve working properly?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 02:36:48 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »
It has pedals?

Did you pedal it home?

::)
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

tuko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 11:53:25 AM »
Sorry for the delay guys, been hectic around the house.

Yes to all the above questions except it does not have pedals, I had to push the thing back the 2 km to my house.  :'(

Only had a few minutes in the garage yesterday and I think that I will take the carb apart and give it a "better" inspection. What I did notice is that when I apply the throttle there was no gas entering the center chamber. There is fuel in the float chamber but it's not rising from there, so hopefully it's a plugged jet that I couldn't see earlier. Fingers crossed, we'll see on Monday when I'm back home.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
Glad you clarified that. I was afraid that Kymco had stopped making SCOOTERS and started making mere mopeds.
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

tuko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 03:19:19 PM »
Glad you clarified that. I was afraid that Kymco had stopped making SCOOTERS and started making mere mopeds.

Do you have anything intelligent to add to this thread? 

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:39:27 PM »
^
This, coming from the guy who doesn't know the difference between a scooter and a moped?  ::)
Son, please don't use passive-aggression on me.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 11:52:10 PM »
Gentlemen.
Helpful comments please.
The one thing which sets this forum apart from so, so many others.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

tuko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 02:01:40 PM »
^
This, coming from the guy who doesn't know the difference between a scooter and a moped?  ::)
Son, please don't use passive-aggression on me.

I'm too old to be your son, so don't talk down to me!
If you had asked where I lived I would have told you I live in Sweden. If you had asked what does the transportation department call "motor bike" (I'm using that word very loosely to describe a vehicle) that have engines under 50cc, I would have told you that they call them MOPED. My registration paperwork clearly has written MOPED. My drivers licence clearly has written MOPED in the description for the letter classification and finally the insurance coverage clearly has in it's description MOPED.

Therefore with all the usages of the word "moped" I call it a moped. BTW a scooter in Sweden is classed with a motor displacement of over 50cc.

Stig your right, as I clearly wrote in the OP "few helpful tips/suggestions". That's all I was looking for, I didn't ask for someone else's apparent humor, blind correction when they don't know the facts or sarcasm.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()