Author Topic: Scooter depreciation?  (Read 431 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Scooter depreciation?
« on: September 07, 2018, 01:47:47 AM »
Which scooter holds more of its purchase price?
I really have no idea.....other than to note how quickly Burgmans depreciate from their msrp.
As with most vehicles.....buying lightly used, or dealer left-overs  probably makes the most sense.
Perhaps, best to buy a scooter or motorcycle with the intention  of keeping it for years. They certainly are not good financial investments.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Rhodan

• View Profile
Re: Scooter depreciation?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 01:53:56 AM »
I think of them as a money pit.  But a fun money pit.

I bought my 2012 GT used in 2013.  It's definitely lost value  (est. 1000-1500).

Rhodan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 01:56:05 AM »
Around here used Vespas hold value pretty well.  New anything?  Fuggidaboutit.

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 02:43:10 AM »
I don't worry about it.  I plan on keeping my scooters until I have gotten my money's worth out of them.  I've got 31,500 miles on my Super 8 which I got for $2200 OTD.  If it falls apart into a pile of dust tomorrow I will have gotten $2200 worth of use out of it. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 03:12:28 AM »
Only one I can think of that holds value fairly decent is Vespas.  But maybe only slightly better then any of the other big 4. 
2018 Kymco Like 150i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 03:37:57 PM »
I would not walk across the street for a Vespa! That is a little strong and I know there are some dedicated Vespa riders, builders, restorers and genuine enthusiasts especially in the Denver area. I would not disparage them for their love, ever. But for me, this whole thing about two wheels is and emotional mystery of 58 years. Has nothing to do with practical business. Half the time it makes no sense! It would be nice to discover why the depreciation is so vertical for such a distance....
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »
I have to agree with Karl. I rode a Vespa in Rome for a little while and did not like it at all. It handled like crap on the cobblestones and all you are paying for is retro styling. Also when I lived in Rome, one of the scooter mechanics at the Porta Portese told me that they had a lot of problems with Vespas, also with Piaggio. He recommended that I should buy either a Honda or Kymco because of their 1)durability, 2) easy to get replacement parts, and 3) that they can take a beating without breaking down. I have to admit that the Aprilia that I owned was also a piece of junk. Had it for less than a year and traded it in. My 2 Hondas and so far my 2 Kymcos have been great bikes. Its just that here in the US, there is not a lot of experience with the different models of scooters are there are in Europe and Asia.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()