Author Topic: Finally!  (Read 1270 times)

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
Finally!
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:24:17 PM »
After a total of fifty-one days, my oil filter and associated parts arrived. The lovely young lady at the parts counter of my dealership called me this morning, letting me know they'd come in. I had to take one of my cats to the vet this morning, but after that, I went and picked everything up!  They were extremely apologetic, and I mentioned the "Dauphine Effect" regarding lack of parts, and there was this grizzled old geezer in there who asked me rather incredulously how I could possibly know about the Dauphine! Turned out he had bought one way back when.
Anyway, I should have the whole process completed by noon tomorrow.

So, the Hiflo I ordered will now become the spare. It's due in by Friday.
Fraking Whew!
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
Re: Finally!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 10:26:39 PM »
If this is the hiflo for the x400i, I recommend amazon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 11:24:38 PM »
My dealer gets these parts within a week...I don't know why it takes you so long....
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2018, 12:44:04 AM »
My local dealer says they(the HiFlo) are listed in the catalog but showed not in stock. I just told 'em thanks and ordered them from TBS and duplicated the order with Brooksbarn (or barnbrooks, I forgot). Ordered extra O-rings from the O-ring store. Put the surplus in storage and have enough for 3 more oil changes and one air filter change.

I'm used to planning ahead, but due to family issues, haven't put as many miles as usual. Of my 29 bikes, this is only the 4th one I've not put the 600 miles on and have it serviced the next day. Took me 6 weeks to get the 600 miles. Gettin' old sux. Was planning to need a new belt by spring of 2019, but looks like I'll be modding and polishing more than riding as I hang around and get cabin fever. Luna is so patient with me!!!!!

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2018, 01:48:24 AM »
Whining about getting old is not allowed!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 11:06:43 AM »
My dealer gets these parts within a week...I don't know why it takes you so long....

This is the way it unfolded: The dealer got the order from the Kymco USA online parts catalog where I ordered it in July. They contacted the distributor in Spartanburg, SC, who told them that there were no parts available to send and so they'd have to be ordered from Taiwan. Well and good. Except, I am of the opinion that the factory in Taiwan literally picked the slowest rowboat from China to ship the parts.

Aside from that bit of speculation, I really have no idea why it took 7 weeks to get one oil filter.

However, just so the record is complete, I also ordered a Hiflo from Brooksbarn on August 24. The delivery date I was given was September 8. So, I contacted them on the 9th, to be told that the delivery date was now the 13th, and if I didn't have it by then, wait until the 17th and they'd give me a refund. I told them I didn't want a refund, I wanted the filter I paid for. I was told they don't control shipping.

So, I'm really not sure why there are so many problems getting things shipped in a timely manner. It's not like it's the 19th century and things have to be sent by carrier pigeon and horse-drawn carriage.

In your estimation, why do you think your dealer gets parts in a week, when mine takes seven weeks?
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

AlexisStarlyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 11:09:17 AM »
I must say, if I order through amazon, i get it in like 2-3 days! Which is great for me, given I change it on my own, and I can know exactly when I’ll receive it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »
I am not sure, he orders OEM parts.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2018, 06:27:32 PM »
I am not sure, he orders OEM parts.

Well... Um. That's what we're talking about here, I thought.

OEM parts.

Are you in the US? Your sig indicates you're in Italy, if I'm reading it correctly. Wouldn't that mean you are under a different parts system? Don't forget, the 400i is a first-year bike in the US in 2018. It's been around three or four years in other countries.

Myself, I think that might have something to do with it.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2018, 08:15:27 PM »
Well... Um. That's what we're talking about here, I thought.

OEM parts.

Are you in the US? Your sig indicates you're in Italy, if I'm reading it correctly. Wouldn't that mean you are under a different parts system? Don't forget, the 400i is a first-year bike in the US in 2018. It's been around three or four years in other countries.

Myself, I think that might have something to do with it.

Providence RI (Rhode Island) is in the United States. The OLDER bikes (90's-2005) were in Italy according to that signature.

Clampett

• Uncle Jed
    • View Profile
    • My Maps
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 08:24:56 PM »
Whining about getting old is not allowed!
:o

Ahhhhh shucks cuz CB....I thought that was the duty of old farthings.....uh, folks.....

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »
Yeah, I see that now.

I guess I'm just confused over how I asked him how his dealer orders parts, and why he thinks his dealer gets parts in three days, when mine took 51 days. Don't know where he got aftermarket parts from. That threw me.

At least I'l have a spare when it comes time to do the next one!

Boy, I hope I didn't screw it up. I always worry about things like that.

Say, Clampett, when you did the gear oil in the trans, did 200ml fill it up to where it drained out of the port like the service manual says?  "The oil level is correct when oil flows from the bolt hole."

Mine didn't.

I ended up putting another 20ml in there just to be overcautious, and it still didn't flow from the bolt hole like the manual said it would. I even rotated the tires, propped up the front tire on a 2"x6" to level the bike more, and ran the motor for a few minutes, and it still didn't do it. Now I don't know that I have enough in there, even though I followed the procedure in the manual exactly. Test rode it about .5 miles, and everything felt and sounded right, but I just don't know for sure.

This kind of thing worries me.

---
1982 Honda PA-50

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 10:20:25 PM »
That will be the FIRST Kymco in recent history to give that fill instruction! Several including me used to the American differential fill method learned to put the EXACT amount in the gear box or you wind up with sticky gear lube everywhere!

I can see why it would take forever to get OEM parts since Kymco dealers are not required to stock ANY parts for ANY of the models. I was advised by a Regional Rep the reason for no stocking requirement was because the Kymco's were so reliable. I have to agree on the reliable part but not stocking consumables? That's nuts and just drives people elsewhere as it did me. Scooters are such a low priority with the dealers that actually have them it is surprising they have any at all. What should happen is manufacturer's floor plans like cars: they just park a bunch of cars at the dealers, as many as his lot will handle. Does not cost him a cent except on inventory tax. Kymco, on the other hand, requires the dealer to BUY every model! No wonder things are slow!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 10:37:34 PM by CROSSBOLT »
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 11:05:54 PM »
That will be the FIRST Kymco in recent history to give that fill instruction! Several including me used to the American differential fill method learned to put the EXACT amount in the gear box or you wind up with sticky gear lube everywhere!

I can see why it would take forever to get OEM parts since Kymco dealers are not required to stock ANY parts for ANY of the models. I was advised by a Regional Rep the reason for no stocking requirement was because the Kymco's were so reliable. I have to agree on the reliable part but not stocking consumables? That's nuts and just drives people elsewhere as it did me. Scooters are such a low priority with the dealers that actually have them it is surprising they have any at all. What should happen is manufacturer's floor plans like cars: they just park a bunch of cars at the dealers, as many as his lot will handle. Does not cost him a cent except on inventory tax. Kymco, on the other hand, requires the dealer to BUY every model! No wonder things are slow!
Never really knew how long it takes Kymco USA to send parts to my dealer.
My problem was trying to motivate the parts countermen to actually send the order ----because it was just a scooter. They had to gather enough orders. ...like a bunch of us want Kymco parts this week!
So, I go with monsterparts.com
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
Yeah, I see that now.

I guess I'm just confused over how I asked him how his dealer orders parts, and why he thinks his dealer gets parts in three days, when mine took 51 days. Don't know where he got aftermarket parts from. That threw me.

At least I'l have a spare when it comes time to do the next one!

Boy, I hope I didn't screw it up. I always worry about things like that.

Say, Clampett, when you did the gear oil in the trans, did 200ml fill it up to where it drained out of the port like the service manual says?  "The oil level is correct when oil flows from the bolt hole."

Mine didn't.

I ended up putting another 20ml in there just to be overcautious, and it still didn't flow from the bolt hole like the manual said it would. I even rotated the tires, propped up the front tire on a 2"x6" to level the bike more, and ran the motor for a few minutes, and it still didn't do it. Now I don't know that I have enough in there, even though I followed the procedure in the manual exactly. Test rode it about .5 miles, and everything felt and sounded right, but I just don't know for sure.

This kind of thing worries me.

I read your concerns about proper fill amount. ...
Is there any chance you are not using the correct fill hole?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()