Author Topic: Question  (Read 717 times)

David E

• View Profile
Question
« on: September 12, 2018, 09:38:28 PM »
So my Like 200i is vibrating a little more than usual.  It happens when I take off from a dead stop and throttle off slowly.   Now if I throttle off quickly, it doesn’t get a chance to vibrate.  When I say vibrate, I mean it shakes! 

I changed the oil for process of elimination and that didn’t work.   It has 1600 miles on it.   While riding it, it feels fine.   Any ideas? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Question
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 11:25:12 PM »
More description, please. More information necessary to even guess as to cause and correction.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 11:28:04 PM »
It shakes vigorously from a dead stop when taking off.  Not at idle but only when I accelerate slowly.    That’s all I can give you. 

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 11:36:41 PM »
Your clutch is causing this. It probably is "glazed" on the shoes and has deposits on the clutch bell. This can be dealt with by strong throttle on take off as you said. Or you can disassemble the CVT and sand the shoes and clutch bell.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 11:38:02 PM »
This is already happening with only 1600 miles?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 12:21:35 AM »
This is already happening with only 1600 miles?

Yes sir,
Pretty common problem...
It does not take long to put a little glaze on those clutch pads if one has not been vigorous enough with the throttle when pulling away from a stop --- or from a slow speed.

One way which some advocate to cure this now --- is to hold the brakes on - and rev the engine maybe 70% throttle --- for 5 seconds or so.
This spins the clutch pads against the bell and apparently cleans the pads.
I DO NOT like this method, although many swear by it. Seems like abuse to me....and probably only cures the chattering/grabbing/jerking clutch for a few miles.

This is NOT a fault in the scooter, to my mind. But is something some scooters seem prone to if one tries to ride off too gently. $8000 500lb 400cc Burgmans have the same problem with glazing clutch pads if one is too gentle.

To prevent it >>>> be a somewhat more aggressive with the throttle on your take-offs. Get those pads locked up, rather than slipping.

To fix it now >>>> open the belt cover, remove the clutch bell. Scrub it out, and lightly sand the glaze off of the clutch pads.
OR, try the rev. with brakes held method. (do NOT over do this! few seconds only - not 100% full throttle)

I have 14,000+ miles on my LIKE200i - and had this issue for only a short time - until I learned to give it the beans on each pull away!
It is not abusing anything if you don't over do it. I don't "whack" the throttle open - smooth and then aggressive.

Hope this helps.

Stig

*One tries to be smooth and not abuse the scooter....but it is not an electric motor, able to do smooth gentle take offs. That was the mistake I used to make. "Let's be smooth - and not jerk things about." which only backfired on me with a grabby/jerky clutch after a time.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 12:27:21 AM »
Yes sir,
Pretty common problem...
It does not take long to put a little glaze on those clutch pads if one has not been vigorous enough with the throttle when pulling away from a stop --- or from a slow speed.

One way which some advocate to cure this now --- is to hold the brakes on - and rev the engine maybe 70% throttle --- for 5 seconds or so.
This spins the clutch pads against the bell and apparently cleans the pads.
I DO NOT like this method, although many swear by it. Seems like abuse to me....and probably only cures the chattering/grabbing/jerking clutch for a few miles.

This is NOT a fault in the scooter, to my mind. But is something some scooters seem prone to if one tries to ride off too gently. $8000 500lb 400cc Burgmans have the same problem with glazing clutch pads if one is too gentle.

To prevent it >>>> be a somewhat more aggressive with the throttle on your take-offs. Get those pads locked up, rather than slipping.

To fix it now >>>> open the belt cover, remove the clutch bell. Scrub it out, and lightly sand the glaze off of the clutch pads.
OR, try the rev. with brakes held method. (do NOT over do this! few seconds only - not 100% full throttle)

I have 14,000+ miles on my LIKE200i - and had this issue for only a short time - until I learned to give it the beans on each pull away!
It is not abusing anything if you don't over do it. I don't "whack" the throttle open - smooth and then aggressive.

Hope this helps.

Stig

Thank you Stig.  I’m pretty good with taking things apart but I’ve never tackled this one.   Is there a write up somewhere for it?   

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 01:18:52 AM »

Thank you Stig.  I’m pretty good with taking things apart but I’ve never tackled this one.   Is there a write up somewhere for it?   

Not the same scooter obviously, but same process.
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 01:31:46 AM »

Take a look at the sticky on top of LIKE200i page: "Dr Pulley install"....it's all there with photos of a LIKE200i
Getting the belt cover off the first can be a bear. Often it is quite stuck! There are pry points...and best tapped from the muffler side by going thru wheel spokes.
Stig
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 01:38:01 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 01:36:38 AM »
[emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 10:34:27 AM »
Looks pretty easy.  Now to figure out what to use to hold onto the housing to remove it!   Lol.

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 06:26:10 PM »
Removing the nut on the clutch assembly can be difficult because it is very tight. I use a Harbor Freight corded impact wrench. Otherwise you will need to lock it in position with a strap wrench and use a  breaker bar to loosen it...then tighten it with a torque wrench to specs...or in my case, just use the impact wrench to tighten it. I like the corded impact because it won't over tighten the nut whereas an air impact can.
2009 GV 250

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 07:24:50 PM »
Removing the nut on the clutch assembly can be difficult because it is very tight. I use a Harbor Freight corded impact wrench. Otherwise you will need to lock it in position with a strap wrench and use a  breaker bar to loosen it...then tighten it with a torque wrench to specs...or in my case, just use the impact wrench to tighten it. I like the corded impact because it won't over tighten the nut whereas an air impact can.

Thank you!

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 07:58:44 PM »
Stuo, This sticky has a walk through of the procedure for his LIKE200i....
http://www.kymcoforum.com/index.php?topic=25938.0

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

stuo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 07:17:02 PM »
Thanks, Stig. The first time I used that $12 holding tool one of the tabs broke off due to a lousy weld so I muddle on with my impact wrench. Not very professional, I admit.
2009 GV 250

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()