Author Topic: Led vs halogen headlight  (Read 1630 times)

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
Led vs halogen headlight
« on: September 13, 2018, 01:05:59 AM »
Promised this a week ago or so and finally got around to snapping pics.  I do wish it would’ve been a little darker out but have to get up at 3:30 am for work, so this will have to do for now.   Vespa sprint halogen vs Kymco Like 150i headlight/running light and beam pattern.  Not the best pics and I didn’t realize until we put them away the Vespa was aimed right at the camera and my Like was off to the side a bit. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Led vs halogen headlight
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:26:14 AM »
That bottom picture is very interesting.
What a difference. ....!
Wonder what the wattage is for both -- obviously the color of the light is much different, too.
I don't lght glare from cars cresting a hill while coming at me.....would be brutal if it were LED.
No substitute for wattage.....vast difference between my LIKE's 35/35watt headlight, and the Liberty's 65/50watt headlight!

Thanks for that bottom picture!
 Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

EvilTessmacher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2018, 11:20:16 AM »
The OCD in me would go in and adjust that beam on the right until it was level. Heh...

FWIW, I've found that the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE Halogens are the best non-LED light's I've ever used. I have them on all of my vehicles. Can't recommend them highly enough.
Two things to consider...
1) The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse always gets the cheese.
2) Eagles may soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines.

---
2018 Kymco 400i - "Diana"
2013 Honda PCX - "Natasha"
1982 Honda PA-50

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 11:36:01 AM »
The OCD in me would go in and adjust that beam on the right until it was level. Heh...

FWIW, I've found that the Sylvania Silverstar ZXE Halogens are the best non-LED light's I've ever used. I have them on all of my vehicles. Can't recommend them highly enough.
No "level" adjuster on most scoots, or left/right for that matter.  You got up and down.
Bet his scoot was not perfectly level on the driveway.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
No "level" adjuster on most scoots, or left/right for that matter.  You got up and down.
Bet his scoot was not perfectly level on the driveway.
Stig

You are correct Stig.  Driveway is slanted
2018 Kymco Like 150i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:27:19 PM »
Snoop, what is the make, model and dealer source of that LED lamp?
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 10:27:00 PM »
Karl, it's in his new LIKE150i.
Owner's  manual probably gives #type,,,maybe not much else. Order from Kymco dealer.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 11:12:44 PM »

Yes like stig mentioned it’s the stock unit out of the Like 150i. I looked up replacement cost for it and all I could find was the whole assembly at a cost of $285 if memory serves right.  It’s pretty much an led projector unit. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:20:24 PM by Snoopzilla »
2018 Kymco Like 150i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 11:52:31 PM »
OK, a light designed to properly use an LED lamp. But they don't even list the lamp? That's nuts!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2018, 12:03:39 AM »
OK, a light designed to properly use an LED lamp. But they don't even list the lamp? That's nuts!

Here’s a close up (with part number if anyone is interested). Not sure if there is just a lamp replacement or not (there’s gotta be right?).  Been a little headache trying to find parts and I really would like a nice repair manual.  But am being patient....sometimes it’s the pain of being an early adopter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Kymco Like 150i

gctkaz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 07:50:57 PM »
For the last year+, I have been using LED headlights in my bikes - drop-in replacement for the stock halogen bulbs, and have been very pleased. You have to make sure you get one with the LED emitters in the proper placement to match where the halogen filaments would be.

Here's a pic of my H4 LED (admittedly on a different bike), but I have the same bulb installed on my Super 9. Low and high beam patterns are almost the same as stock with good cutoff, but a bit brighter and white.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 08:00:04 PM »
For the last year+, I have been using LED headlights in my bikes - drop-in replacement for the stock halogen bulbs, and have been very pleased. You have to make sure you get one with the LED emitters in the proper placement to match where the halogen filaments would be.

Here's a pic of my H4 LED (admittedly on a different bike), but I have the same bulb installed on my Super 9. Low and high beam patterns are almost the same as stock with good cutoff, but a bit brighter and white.

That's really good news! What brand, where got and part number, cost, please. How did you determine LED location? Was that AFTER you bought these H4 lamps?
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

DIRKHUNT

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 03:50:38 PM »
My Bajaj came with the 35/35 H4 as well, best mod I did was swap for the 55/35 H4 out of a Volvo.

35/35 at 55mph was useless
If the LED is a hard find for the Vespa, try the Volvo H4 bulb. It literally turned night into day.[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 01:20:03 PM »
The issue is useful beam pattern AND not blinding other drivers. You will minimize blinding others if the pattern is useable. Most LED replacements cast a flood, out of focus pattern.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

gctkaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 02:01:57 AM »
That's really good news! What brand, where got and part number, cost, please. How did you determine LED location? Was that AFTER you bought these H4 lamps?

The specific LED in question I purchased on eBay, from neverland-usa (bought a ton of other LEDs from the same seller for cars, etc.)
You have to be careful because not all of them are street-legal with cutoffs. I'll post a few pictures that I took from this bike, but the same LED is installed in my other bikes so the effect is similar. I did recently replace them with an updated, brighter model from the recently re-branded company.

I was aware of cutoff issues before I purchased, so I had to choose one that was advertised as no glare, though with Chinese stuff it's often a matter of trust in the manufacturer's word.

Here are the pictures that I posted on another forum:
(limit 4 attachments so I will split across two posts)
This one just shows the H4 bulb, with passive heatsink. I think you can see the model number on the box.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()