Author Topic: Dyna beads question....  (Read 712 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Dyna beads question....
« on: September 14, 2018, 10:39:02 PM »
Thinking of doing the Dyna Beads thing to my 4 scooter tires this fall.
Will I notice anything at my 30 > 40mph cruising speeds?
My tires are 12", 2 ea. ; and a 16" & a 14".

Thanks,
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

David E

• View Profile
Re: Dyna beads question....
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2018, 10:56:07 PM »
I use them religiously in my bigger bike.   I love them.  I’m not sure if it makes a difference but the tires I use them in are a 160 and 300.   Don’t notice anything with them other then they do their job. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 01:08:06 AM »
I loved them when I was using dyna beads. They got expensive so I switched to BB's. Dyna beads also got scarce around here. And expensive! They do their thing as you speed up and you notice "Nuu-THING!" Like Schultz!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

PaulF

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 03:15:13 AM »
Get me up to speed on this Dyna bead thingy.  What is it suppose to do?

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
So Glas you asked, PaulF! Its gotta be one of the great gifts of all time:perfect balance of tire and wheel with minimum of effort. Dyna Beads are dense, small spheres of ceramic material that will actually fit through a tire valve stem. Put enough in a tire/wheel assembly and they will guarantee perfect balance without anything else, no wheel weights, no lead weights wrapped around spokes, no nothing showing on the outside of the wheel! You can put them in yourself through the valve stem. I put BB's in mine when I change the tire since they won't fit through the stem. The great thing about Dyna Beads being ceramic they won't rust while inside the tire since most everyone uses compressed air. I am using nitrogen so the BB's won't rust. Try 'em! You'll love 'em!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 05:30:29 PM »
So Glas you asked, PaulF! Its gotta be one of the great gifts of all time:perfect balance of tire and wheel with minimum of effort. Dyna Beads are dense, small spheres of ceramic material that will actually fit through a tire valve stem. Put enough in a tire/wheel assembly and they will guarantee perfect balance without anything else, no wheel weights, no lead weights wrapped around spokes, no nothing showing on the outside of the wheel! You can put them in yourself through the valve stem. I put BB's in mine when I change the tire since they won't fit through the stem. The great thing about Dyna Beads being ceramic they won't rust while inside the tire since most everyone uses compressed air. I am using nitrogen so the BB's won't rust. Try 'em! You'll love 'em!
So, if I'm reading right . 2 $12.50 2oz packs will do my 4 scooter tires?
Trick to getting 'em in?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 09:35:32 PM »
Get an infant snot sucker squeeze bulb and some neoprene tubing to fit both the snot sucker and valve stem. Say that five times real fast! Remove the Schrader, put your beads in the sucker, hook up the tube and play with it patiently for about 20 minutes. You'll get most of 'em in there. S'posed to take 1 oz per tire. Check the wheel weights and round up in Dyna Beads.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

vintagegarage

• 2014 Kymco Agility 50
    • View Profile
    • Vintage Garage
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 12:02:27 PM »
Stig,
  I seem to be the only dissenter.. I tried Dyna beads and saw no difference in anything, except that the scooter was very slightly harder to push around the shop.  In my book they are a waste of time and money.. I ended up breaking the tire bead, pushing the bead down away from the rim, and slipping the flat attachment of my shop vac into the space between the rim and the bead, sucking them out, and throwing them away.. they are all marketing hype IMHO.  Apparently only one man's opinion though.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2018, 01:28:29 PM »
I must admit I was very skeptical when first intoduced to the idea of balancing with stuff inside the tire. We needed new tires all around on our motor home before leaving south Texas 2007 for another job elsewhere. The tire shop in Mission made housecalls! I asked how were they gonna balance the wheels. They said with balance bags....which looked an awful lot like sand! Needless to say they worked very well! Not only were the tires a big improvement but there was NO vibration. And that was from the "balance sand!"
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

David E

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 01:35:19 PM »
I must admit I was very skeptical when first intoduced to the idea of balancing with stuff inside the tire. We needed new tires all around on our motor home before leaving south Texas 2007 for another job elsewhere. The tire shop in Mission made housecalls! I asked how were they gonna balance the wheels. They said with balance bags....which looked an awful lot like sand! Needless to say they worked very well! Not only were the tires a big improvement but there was NO vibration. And that was from the "balance sand!"

Very interesting Crossbolt.  I’ve been using the dyna beeds for 7 years now in my bigger bike and have had no issues.  Love them.   I might have to give them a shot in the scooter as well one day. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hypophthalmus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 04:44:51 PM »
Is there any advantage over static balancing the wheels with weights?

It seems to me that balancing the wheel is the the easiest part of changing the tire anyways.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2018, 06:59:43 PM »
Big advantage over static balancer, in my opinion, is it is so simple and quick. Just dump in when changing the tire and you are done! It is dynamically balanced every time you take off! "They" say that one ounce per wheel for motorcycles so I used that for scooters to start with. That is until I started using them on the Downtown. The first one had 1.5 ounces of wheel weights stuck on by the factory. So I used 2.0 ounces of Dyna Beads. All went smoothly so I guess the theory was correct. I been using 2 ounces of BB's ever since. Now in Stig's case with the Like, I would use 2 ounces just to be sure since the factory does not balance those wheels. 2 ounces worked wonders on my wife's Like. You know how the back end bounces when you rev it on the centerstand? It will kinda hop once then smooth out with Dyna Beads. Yes, balancing is easier than spooning tires on or off a rim but then almost anything is easier than that!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 12:45:41 PM »
This should explain WHY they work....

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2018, 11:33:24 AM »
Vintagegarage,
Your recent post here was removed because it contained inappropriate content and spam

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2018, 01:29:57 PM »
Oh, nuts! What did I miss? I looked at a couple of links....am I gonna get sick? Thanks, Stig, for keeping a good watch.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()