Author Topic: Burnt belt smell after riding my 200i. Is this normal?  (Read 2037 times)

Draco

• View Profile
Burnt belt smell after riding my 200i. Is this normal?
« on: September 19, 2018, 12:51:38 AM »
Since I've bought my 2015 Like 200i, I've ridden it three times, each time about 50 miles, and each ride is a varied speed ride -- anywhere from loafing along at 30 MPH and sometimes getting it up near 50 MPH.  After each ride I notice the smell of burning belt -- now this is just a guess.  But this is the first CVT vehicle I've ever owned -- I've had  52 motorcycles in my 40+ years of riding and never smelled anything quite like this.  I don't notice any smoke.  No slipping.  No unusual noises.  I only have 200 miles on this scooter.  Is this smell normal for CVT drive vehicles?
2015 Like 200i

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
Re: Burnt belt smell after riding my 200i. Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »
Like vacuum belt burning smell or exhaust coating burning smell? (May still have that exhaust coating stuff not quite burned off)
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Draco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2018, 01:03:10 AM »
Like vacuum belt burning smell or exhaust coating burning smell? (May still have that exhaust coating stuff not quite burned off)
Not sure Snoop.  Just something I never smelled before on any of my bikes.  And this is the first CVT vehicle I've owned.  That's why I'm guessing CVT belt.  But the scooter doesn't seem to be self-destructing -- it runs just fine.
2015 Like 200i

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2018, 01:10:26 AM »
Not sure Snoop.  Just something I never smelled before on any of my bikes.  And this is the first CVT vehicle I've owned.  That's why I'm guessing CVT belt.
My guess would be the exhaust coating is still burning off.  Otherwise you would get the familiar smell of burnt rubber if it was the belt. Does it feel like the belt is slipping or anything? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Draco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 01:23:01 AM »
My guess would be the exhaust coating is still burning off.  Otherwise you would get the familiar smell of burnt rubber if it was the belt. Does it feel like the belt is slipping or anything? 
It does smell more like burning rubber than anything else.  Like I said above:  no slippage, no power loss, no smoke, no unusual noises.  Just smell of burning rubber/belt when I end my ride.
2015 Like 200i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 01:40:10 AM »
Scoot rev easily even at light throttle  on the center stand?
Front and rear wheel turn freely by hand?
New scooter will smell a bit .....but burnt sweeper belt smell is not common
Ride it to the dealer and give them a smell?
If the belt is righteously being cooked, for whatever reason, do not put yourself in jeopardy should it fail.
Stig

PS: are you comfortable removing the underseat bucket...getting a look at the engine?
Flashlight inspection under the scoot for a hose touching something hot?
Is the rear "gearbox" exceedingly hot after a ride....a possible indication of lack of lubrication (gear oil level nearly empty?)

« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:49:24 AM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:54:07 AM »
Sometimes the belt on my Like200 used to smell a bit after a long, hard ride. It still did it when the belt was at 20,000. I wouldn't worry too much but stop and give it a break if it becomes a proper stink!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Draco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 01:46:42 PM »
Scoot rev easily even at light throttle  on the center stand?
Front and rear wheel turn freely by hand?
New scooter will smell a bit .....but burnt sweeper belt smell is not common
Ride it to the dealer and give them a smell?
If the belt is righteously being cooked, for whatever reason, do not put yourself in jeopardy should it fail.
Stig

PS: are you comfortable removing the underseat bucket...getting a look at the engine?
Flashlight inspection under the scoot for a hose touching something hot?
Is the rear "gearbox" exceedingly hot after a ride....a possible indication of lack of lubrication (gear oil level nearly empty?)
Dealer is 140 miles from here -- only way to get there is via interstate.  I bought it used.

Yes, both wheels move freely when on centerstand.
2015 Like 200i

Draco

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2018, 01:48:28 PM »
Sometimes the belt on my Like200 used to smell a bit after a long, hard ride. It still did it when the belt was at 20,000. I wouldn't worry too much but stop and give it a break if it becomes a proper stink!
It's not a strong smell at all -- I never smelled it while riding.  Only after stopping.  And even after stopping it is not a strong smell.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 01:52:09 PM by Draco »
2015 Like 200i

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 09:26:34 AM »
It's not a strong smell at all -- I never smelled it while riding.  Only after stopping.  And even after stopping it is not a strong smell.

My personal opinion is that you don't have anything to worry about :)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

Draco

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 01:26:38 PM »
My personal opinion is that you don't have anything to worry about :)
I think I agree with you.  I'll update this thread if something changes.
2015 Like 200i

cakebrake

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 01:01:21 AM »
have you checked your exhaust bolts?  Some of mine came out after about 2 years, might cause a cover to be resting on exhaust.

As far as the belt, if you suspect it, it wouldn't be that hard to look at it without messing anything up

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()