Author Topic: Scooter...or moped....??  (Read 5084 times)

Lowrider

• View Profile
Scooter...or moped....??
« on: August 12, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »
Just wondering which one you prefer and why.....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Scooter...or moped....??
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:46:35 AM »
..i reckon i like the term scooter best..

..when i hear moped...i think of a...motorized (mo) bicycle-looking thing, with pedals (ped)...

..a scooter is of a different breed...

;D

peace
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Calothrix

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:07:51 AM »
Agree with the Slinger of Words.  When I think of a moped, I envision a motorized bicycle that a 13 or 14 year old kid rides with a tall pennant on the back!

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:12:44 AM »
..i remember when they first showed up here in my area..

..i was about 15 years old...

..everybody wanted one!!!!

:D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

Lowrider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 03:51:29 AM »
yeah lol, thats what im tryin to do around my area, start a scooter revolution haha

theres too many bloody mopeds around here anyways..

LONG LIVE THE SCOOTER!!

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 04:45:09 AM »
I think you will find this place tends to be SCOOTERS>>> centric and not the Moped Army,

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:47 AM »
 ;D   ;D    ;D   ;)   No Doubt!
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:39 AM »
Postmen in Croatia drive traditionally Slovenian mopeds "Tomos".

4 speed, 50 cc.

They drive them even when it's deep snow. :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 11:12:08 AM »
got to agree with word....a new shop had opened up here, told they sold malossi parts had in stock, blah, blah, nlah.... name is briton bees... cool ass peds man,for real!!( one of em has a tomos? looks like a bobber motorcycle, looks cool as sh**..cool sh** BUT i had stopped in th check out the operation/parts supply...they work on mopeds, even have a ride every sat at 4.i asked about joining that sat ride around..   THEY TOLD ME NO!!!!!!!   "you ride a scooter, we ride mopeds"..W.T.F??? ASSHOLE!!...BUILT, those things are hitting 40-45,(the few that was there)..he thought i should be estatic about hitting 49-51 with my 14mm carb,stop and be happy.....OH HELL NO, NOT NOW ANYWAY...LMAO ;D    hadnt been back there since, "since i have a scooter"..(oh yeah, no stocked malossi parts either)          BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE TWO TERMS..........
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

winginman

• View Profile
    • Accugen DNA Service
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 01:36:40 PM »
While I traditionally think of a moped as the bike thing with a motor and pedals and a scooter as the step through motorized two wheelers we ride, I read somewhere while doing research on the scooter licensing laws that moped stands for mobile pedestrian and includes all of what we think of as scooters and mopeds.  Anyone else heard this definition?  Just thought I would throw that in for fun.  I still think of mopeds as the ones with pedals, but then I really hate to hear those motorized chair things called scooters as well...  ;D

I love my Kymco Xciting step through motorcycle. (STM... )  :D
Jim
09 Kymco 500Ri (His)
04 Aprilia S500 (Hers)
01 Honda GL1800 (Ours)
DNA Paternity Testing www.accugendna.com

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 04:58:38 PM »
The LEGAL definition of a Moped and Scooter are frequently very similar... if not the same. In CA we have power-driven cycles and motorcycles

A motorcycle is a vehicle whose motor displaces more than 150 cubic centimeters and has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider. It is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and weighs less than 1,500 pounds.

A motor-driven cycle is a motorcycle whose motor displaces less than 150 cubic centimeters. (no mention of pedals at all)  This is the 50 to 149 cc scooters we think of.

What is a moped or motorized bicycle?

* There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
    * Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
    * Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:
          o Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
          o Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
          o Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

What is a motorized skateboard or motorized scooter?

* Effective 1/1/2005, a motorized scooter is any two-wheeled device that has handlebars, has a floorboard that is designed to be stood upon when riding.
    * May have a driver seat that does not interfer with the ability to stand and ride and may also be designed to be powered by human propulsion.
    * Powered by electricity or other source.

Driver's License Requirements

Motorized scooter

Effective 1/1/2005, a Class C driver license or driver permit is required.

Motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, motorized bicycle/moped (Section 406(a) VC)

* Must obtain an M-1 or M-2 endorsement on a driver's license.
    * M-1 allows the driver to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle and moped
    * M-2 allows for operation of a moped or motorized bicycle only.
    * To obtain an M-1 or M-2 endorsement, the driver must:
          o Pass the appropriate written exam
          o Pass riding skills test (DMV will accept certificate of competence from an approved novice motorcyclist training program instead of skills test, such as the California Motorcyclist Safety Program).
          o If the individual is under 21 years of age, mandatory successful completion of a Basic Rider education course approved by the CHP is required, such as the Basic Rider course available through the California Motorcyclist Safety Program.

Motorized Bicycle (Section 406(b) VC)

* Driver's License not required but rider must be at least 16 years of age.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 05:32:01 PM »
The LEGAL definition of a Moped and Scooter are frequently very similar... if not the same. In CA we have power-driven cycles and motorcycles

A motorcycle is a vehicle whose motor displaces more than 150 cubic centimeters and has a seat or saddle for the use of the rider. It is designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and weighs less than 1,500 pounds.

A motor-driven cycle is a motorcycle whose motor displaces less than 150 cubic centimeters. (no mention of pedals at all)  This is the 50 to 149 cc scooters we think of.

What is a moped or motorized bicycle?

* There are two types of motorized bicycles, defined in the California Vehicle Code (VC) Sections 406(a) and 406(b).
    * Section 406(a) VC refers to a moped or motorized bicycle as any two or three wheeled device having fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power, or having no pedals if powered solely by electrical energy, has an automatic transmission, and a motor which produces less than 2 gross brake horespower and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than 30 miles per hour on level ground.
    * Section 406(b) VC refers to a motorized bicycle as a device that has fully operative pedals for propulsion by human power and has an electric motor that:
          o Has a power output of not more than 1,000 watts;
          o Is incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground; and
          o Is incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power is used to propel the motorized bicycle faster than 20 miles per hour.

What is a motorized skateboard or motorized scooter?

* Effective 1/1/2005, a motorized scooter is any two-wheeled device that has handlebars, has a floorboard that is designed to be stood upon when riding.
    * May have a driver seat that does not interfer with the ability to stand and ride and may also be designed to be powered by human propulsion.