Author Topic: NGK Iridium V OEM Spark Plugs - Do they make a difference????  (Read 11820 times)

jbcinzio

• I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll....
    • View Profile
NGK Iridium V OEM Spark Plugs - Do they make a difference????
« on: August 16, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »
Hey guys,

I got my 1,000 Km Service done today, pretty reasonable @ $101.00.

The Like 50 4T is much smoother, accelerates slightly better and generally feels like it's got more torque to play with in the mid-range.

My question to you all is what kind of spark plugs do you prefer to use, and is there any point to using something like an NGK Iridium plug?

Your thoughts........

Josh
This message was posted using 100% recycled electrons.

juice

• View Profile
Re: NGK Iridium V OEM Spark Plugs - Do they make a difference????
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 02:01:29 PM »
absolutly!

art

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 02:27:09 PM »
  I did not think they were worth the extra cost when I used to ride offroad bikes. But for the 50cc scooter seems to be a great match if trying to get every bit of performancs out of it that you can.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

thebatman

• The Bat lives on... like the fkn Energizer Bunny
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 11:52:30 AM »
should have tried that by now...gotta get me one of those plugs....
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:
"A goal without a plan is just a dream"......

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:34:44 PM »
Average user on an average bike will not see any difference with hyper-blah-blah expensive spark plugs.

During 90s, spark plugs with several gold plated electrodes were all the hype and I was among suckers who paid in gold to buy them.

Looking in retrospect, it was a complete waste of money.

I also used to spend 30 US$ for plugs, and then realized when switched to 3 US$ plugs, that there is no difference other than keeping 27 US$ to buy some chow for my cats. It just takes being honest to yourself and admit it.

Buy the cheapest new plug within factory specs every 5.000 kms for 2strokes and every 10.000 kms for 4strokes, throw away the old one and forget about plugs. Even though they might last longer than 5/10K kms, they are so cheap it is not worth even thinking about them as being a source of some problem on a bike.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 01:44:51 PM by axy »
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 02:14:52 PM »
Sorry about your gold plated plug experience but iridium plugs are vastly superior . It has to do with the fine wire electrodes , they give improved combustion and they don't foul in 2 strokes .
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 02:18:38 PM by juice »

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »
5000km on a plug???????????????? in my world, i change around every1500...went 2000 and started fouling some, was lean then also....no way for the 5000km....not gonna happpen       i have also heard good things about iridium plugs from different sources....
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

jbcinzio

• I was the second gunman on the grassy knoll....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys.

In Australia, The OEM NGK Plugs cost me about $5 (retail, from my Kymco service centre so it's probably a $3 part).

The NGK Iridium Plugs from my local "Parts Boys" shop will cost me about $22, but I can get them on ebay for about $17 (Delivered).

Decisions decisions....

I guess even if they don't improve the performance at all, they will still last longer (apparently)

BTW, I'm looking at ordering one of those "Joe Costa" Variators, Any words of wisdom or past experiences or rumors of failure or stories of stratospheric performance gains (or any advice at all?).

No one I've spoken to locally has even heard of them, let alone bolted one on so any help would be appreciated seeing as I'm about to spend $200!

Josh.
This message was posted using 100% recycled electrons.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 08:56:13 PM »
Have a look at www.scooterinvasion.net they had a look at those variator, I am posting from my phone so I cant post a link.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

thebatman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 09:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys. In Australia, The OEM NGK Plugs cost me about $5 (retail, from my Kymco service centre so it's probably a $3 part). The NGK Iridium Plugs from my local "Parts Boys" shop will cost me about $22, but I can get them on ebay for about $17 (Delivered). Decisions decisions.... I guess even if they don't improve the performance at all, they will still last longer (apparently) BTW, I'm looking at ordering one of those "Joe Costa" Variators, Any words of wisdom or past experiences or rumors of failure or stories of stratospheric performance gains (or any advice at all?). No one I've spoken to locally has even heard of them, let alone bolted one on so any help would be appreciated seeing as I'm about to spend $200! Josh.
                    HOLY ARMED ROBBERY BATMAN:WHOA, THATS CRAZY.. even at a motorcycle/scooter shop here they are only $11..dam, id mail u one.
"THE BAT"MAN...
Says:

art

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
 Ya a little under $10 at my local auto store.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 09:04:39 PM »
Haha, the only problew with having any money is everyone else wants it.
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 09:45:48 PM »
I bought my Iridium at a dealer for $8.00 but I saw NAPA had them for about the same price. Just put the number in the NAPA online and to a non-specific vehicle, competitive search. The non-specif take you away from the "it fits in a ...' question" and the competitive does the look-up by the vendor part number and not the NAPA number. Once you have the NAPA number, you can order it online or your local NAPA parts store.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 03:23:29 AM »
I tend to agree with Axy about the fancy plugs, However: I was told by a shop owner the iridium plugs take less voltage to fire so. . .  if you got problems in that department the iridium plug may indeed help. 

On the other hand, using one may mask voltage problems? 

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 08:04:45 AM »
5000km on a plug???????????????? in my world, i change around every1500...went 2000 and started fouling some, was lean then also....no way for the 5000km....not gonna happpen       i have also heard good things about iridium plugs from different sources....

Had a number of 2stroke scoots, and changed plugs every 5000 kms. Usually NGK, but also Champion and some other brands.
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()