Author Topic: NGK Iridium V OEM Spark Plugs - Do they make a difference????  (Read 11566 times)

axy

• View Profile
Re: NGK Iridium V OEM Spark Plugs - Do they make a difference????
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 08:10:47 AM »
Sorry about your gold plated plug experience but iridium plugs are vastly superior . It has to do with the fine wire electrodes , they give improved combustion and they don't foul in 2 strokes .

No spark is going to foul in 2 strokes if the rest of the engine is OK.
If you have worn piston rings, piston, if you have wrong mixture and try to fix that with spark plugs, that brings a whole different set of problems.

Fancy spark plugs are a gimmick, a fad, but that kind of fad has its own audience. I always say that if spending a few bucks more will ensure one's peace of mind, it's worth it. It is all about psychology - people feel better if they pay more, because they think they have a "premium good" with them just because the price is higher.

The spark plug story is just as old as synthetic vs. mineral oil discussion. People have started exaggerating so much with Internet and stuff that they change oil every 500 or 1000 kms, while 3-5000 kms change intervals for scoots with modern oils are just as good. Also, people use expensive synthetic oils in small scoots, while air cooled motorcycle engines that spin to 12.000 rpms and develop 150+ hp /1300 cc do just good using semi-synthetic oils that is changed every 8.000 kms.

Once again, people are free to decide for themselves, but that does not change hard facts.

The only thing I can promise is that fancy spark plug / synthetic oil thread will resurface next week on this and every other scooter/car forum again, again there will be someone realistic like me, and someone who swears in unparalelled quality of fancy plugs and esther-nanotech-synt oils...
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

juice

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »
Is there ANYONE on this forum who has TRIED the iridium plugs that is disappointed , dissatisfied or feels like they are not superior ? I rest my case .

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
   Can anyone tell me the Iridium equivalent for the Kymco Super 9 plug?  The NGK part number for the stock plug is NGK-BR8HSA and the best place to get them?

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 01:41:02 PM »
Is there ANYONE on this forum who has TRIED the iridium plugs that is disappointed , dissatisfied or feels like they are not superior ? I rest my case .

I have tried, was very satisfied and feel they are equal to any other spark plug I ever used. Also feel they are superior.

In price.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 01:45:35 PM »
   Can anyone tell me the Iridium equivalent for the Kymco Super 9 plug?  The NGK part number for the stock plug is NGK-BR8HSA and the best place to get them?

BPR8HIX

ebay or Amazon.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

art

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 06:01:03 PM »
The bpr 8hix Is correct. I believed much the same as axy from my expierience in my dirt bike days,but I just started running them in my kitted 50cc bike and there was an improvement  ??? and only a few bucks more what the hell.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 07:42:48 PM »
The bpr 8hix Is correct. I believed much the same as axy from my expierience in my dirt bike days,but I just started running them in my kitted 50cc bike and there was an improvement  ??? and only a few bucks more what the hell.

Kitted bikes are a whole different story!

If we are talking about 2 strokes, kitted 2 strokes require higher mixture of oil and gasoline than stock machines, almost double percentage (usually 2-4 % vs. 1.5-2% for stocks). One of the newbie kitting mistakes is not adjusting oil pump to inject more oil into gasoline, resulting in worn piston, cyl and rings, very quickly and blocked/dead little engine.

Under these circumstances, it is vital to have a strong spark with adequate temperature constant of the spark plug to achieve self-cleaning.

Kitted bikes also run at least +1000 rpm compared to stock bikes, that also requires different spark plug behavior/type.
---
Kymco Agility 125 2008

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »
  Thanks everyone,very helpfull!

Glennza

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 11:02:10 PM »
Hey guys,

I got my 1,000 Km Service done today, pretty reasonable @ $101.00.

My service also cost $101. Coincidence or are we going to the same place? GC Motorcycles in Adelaide. Are we neighbours?

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 11:16:20 PM »
Hmm, they have a fuel tap for me, their supplier had none, then he rang back saying he found one in a box of parts. :)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2010, 02:31:56 AM »
I splurged for the $8.39 and picked up the Denso iridium plug for my agility 50.  Have only had it in for a week now so I'm trying not to jump to any early conclusions about the performance until I have some more time to ride and see how it goes. 

That being said, so far I haven't noticed any significant difference over the stock NGK plug I was using before.  Then again, my scoot is stock - but has been derestricted so it might be a different story for those who have gone for the performance mods.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2010, 03:30:52 AM »
  Ha! Hey oswalders time for some mods to match the plug  ;D. That was my findings with stock and slightly modded dirt bikes,but my kitted bike was night and day  :o  I didn't believe in them what so ever. Now I will spring for them on my scoots. They are suposed to last longer also.  :-\

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 03:35:03 AM »
Ha! Hey oswalders time for some mods to match the plug

..yup!!...

;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

oswaldters

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
Oh no - peer pressure!

Sure, I know, everyone's doing it....

Just try it once.......

A little won't hurt....

art

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2010, 06:00:38 PM »
  Ha! Caution!!! it is addicting!!!  ;)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()