Author Topic: Super 9 headlight upgrade?  (Read 7142 times)

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
Super 9 headlight upgrade?
« on: August 18, 2010, 08:43:37 AM »
  Is there an alternative bulb,say and LED out there to fit the Super 9 that will be better than factory,and if so where do you get it? I don't want to modify the factory wiring if avoidable.If not,what's the best source for factory replacements?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:54:24 AM by dont_tread_on _me »

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
Re: Super 9 headlight upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 11:46:28 AM »
 I found a bulb at Walmart last night to fit it.Does anyone know if running a Halogen bulb will hurt anything?

art

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »
 I think iv'e heard for some models the heat is not nice to your reflective background and cover not sure about the s9
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

Flamehawk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:18:56 AM »
Tried it before, it will melt the plastic!  Now, you can get a slightly higher wattage bulb.  Also, anyone notices how the two yellow lights on the front fering panel are just for looks, ans that there aren't any functioning bulbs in there. 

Now, they're starting to come out with headlight bulbs made out of LEDs.  Those stay nice and cool but i have not tried them.

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:00 AM »
Tried it before, it will melt the plastic!  Now, you can get a slightly higher wattage bulb.  Also, anyone notices how the two yellow lights on the front fering panel are just for looks, ans that there aren't any functioning bulbs in there. 

Now, they're starting to come out with headlight bulbs made out of LEDs.  Those stay nice and cool but i have not tried them.
  Definately don't want damage the plastic! Ok I need to figure out what LED if any would work in there.They are more efficient and a lot cooler.I have several weapon mounted flashilights using them and the batteries last much longer as well.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »
  Welcome to the forum flamehawk Thanks for chiming in. The yellow lights are where the blinkers every where else in the world would be. next time you have it opened up check it out. It doesn't take much to make it right. The leads are long enouph on most from the factory,but you will need to mod the reflectors to fit.
  The headlight bulb I think is a 35x35w some were useing the new blue shade not all liked it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 02:47:09 PM by art »
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

dont_tread_on_me

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 11:25:19 PM »
  Well I've had a hologen in there for a few days with no ill effect so far.My battery is about to take a dump,so I think this bulb might be draining it faster maybe IDK,but it's kinda dim until I hold down the dimmer button.I didn't switch back to the old bulb yet to see if that was it or not,but I'm going to get a battery tonight and replace it with a 55 watter I found at Autozone.
  Hopefully It'll be better than ever,this one isn't Halgoen so it should be ok for certain.I've had two bulbs in about 14,000 miles,not sure if that's good or bad,but when I changed it the first time,the beam was way high.I figured out if you pop the bulb out of the socket at the bottom it points down and works much better!  ;D

buzzbomb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 07:15:59 AM »
I owned my Super 9 for about 3 hours before I changed out the turn signals to the "Rest Of The World" setup and took off  those goofy lights on the arms. Looks WAY better, wish I had a pic.
  I have been playing around with my headlight, trying to swap in an HID setup. This has proved to be a lot more difficult than it first appears, as the stock light receives alternating current from the stator. I have built ( not me personally but my good buddy Mike- thanks Mike!) a rectifier- voltage regulator to run the HID ballast, but so far it still won't work- too much A/C in the output yet. we are working on this yet. I really like the idea of an LED lamp. but the junk on FleaBay just doesn't look good enough. I am still researching that option.
 LED headlamps are by far WAY more efficient and better looking when you see them work.

BTW- your stock headlamp is halogen- I don't think they make them any other way. You must have a dimmer switch; mine has only one speed- dim.

sidthesloth

• Kymco ZX50
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 09:16:10 AM »
On my ZX50, it is a 35/35 watt globe, I put in a dimmer switch and a halogen globe, though it was 35/35 I don't think it was any brighter. It blew the low beam in a relatively short time. I put that down to the fact that it is a scooter and the roads around here are crap (too much vibration). Since putting the original globe back in, I think it is a little better cast of light. I do have a blue halogen globe to go in, that is supposed to be ultra white. I think halogen is ok for these scoots, but I would not increase wattage as it may overload your charging system and be too much heat for the lens and reflector.
Damn, I had my scoot apart today, should've put the globe in while I was there. Did put a bike speedo on though, see just how fast she does go. :)
ZX50, 47mm cyl. kit, TZR50 CDI. Michelin Pilot Sport tyres,
Next performance mod; pumping the tyres up.

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
I have noticed that my super 9 headlight has only one light, and not 3 like i have seen. is this a usual pair with the external blinkers? i want to see if i can get a normal lens and assembly, maybe i'll call a dealer.

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 11:30:41 PM »
my lights have three
ALL STOCK

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »
Ya wanna trade?  ;) I'll have to send a pic. My s9 has no high beam switch the spot on the handlebars is covered by like a black plastic piece

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 10:26:56 AM »
Looks just like this with the pinecone reflectors on the sides. Kinda hard to see when I'm goin wot at night

0BARK4322

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2015, 11:43:10 PM »
Is that the stock headlight.........WHATTTTTT THEEEE
ALL STOCK

Scootsuper9

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2015, 11:17:56 AM »
Ya unfortunately. Can't see at night haha

An Error Has Occurred!