Author Topic: Batteries and how long they should last  (Read 11255 times)

ts1

• View Profile
Re: Batteries and how long they should last
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2010, 07:55:49 AM »
And bikes with (2 cylinders of an) airplane-engine: Gunbus (street legal in EU!).

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2010, 08:58:17 AM »
And bikes with (2 cylinders of an) airplane-engine: Gunbus (street legal in EU!).

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

OldGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2010, 02:53:16 PM »
Whoops, left one other suggestion out. Is the battery clean, particularly on top? Grime on the top can create a high resistance path between the posts causing the battery to discharge over time.

and Ferrari powered ones:

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:00:31 PM by OldGuy »
OldGuy
Wanna be GrandVista rider

Inside every old person is a young person wondering,
"What the heck happened?"

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »
So far in this discussion no one has mentioned that idle speed affects charging.  I found my Xciting seemed to be having charging problems when I first got it.  I noticed the idle speed was 500 rpm below manual specification.  I increased it and problems went away in short order. 

I carried a phillips screwdriver around with me for several weeks to fine tune it.  Make sure engine is completely warmed up before adjusting the idle speed.  And it will vary a small amount depending on the weather and temperature. 

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 03:57:06 PM »
The X500 doesn't have the easy-to-turn thumbscrew attachment that the P250 has?  Wow!

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2010, 04:10:08 PM »
So far in this discussion no one has mentioned that idle speed affects charging.  I found my Xciting seemed to be having charging problems when I first got it.  I noticed the idle speed was 500 rpm below manual specification.  I increased it and problems went away in short order. 

I carried a phillips screwdriver around with me for several weeks to fine tune it.  Make sure engine is completely warmed up before adjusting the idle speed.  And it will vary a small amount depending on the weather and temperature. 

Usually, when idle is below rpms where it should be, it can be noticed, especially during cold and damp morning drives, by engine shutdown when you stop at the sign or turn somewhere. So, most people tend to increase idle before it can be manifested as inadequate battery charging. You are among rare patient ones. :) :) :)
---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »
Right axy.  Actually I was also having occasional stall out problems too, during first few weeks I owned the scooter.  Increasing idle cured both.  ;)

Now the battery is good and strong each and every start.

I had taken it to a local battery shop where they load tested the battery, telling me it was ok but wasn't receiving charge at idle speed.  That's when I went and read up what the idle speed should be.

Hoolander2

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 04:34:52 PM »
The X500 doesn't have the easy-to-turn thumbscrew attachment that the P250 has?  Wow!
  Mine doesn't.  Guess the Xciting is a REAL machine. . .  ;D

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 05:30:08 PM »

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2010, 05:41:56 PM »
Funny -- I didn't see it on either diagram. On my P250, it's an black, asterisk-shaped bit of plastic that fits around the idle screw's head. Easy to grip and turn by hand for quickie idle adjustments.

ts1

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2010, 06:06:10 PM »
Oh, then I didn't understand you.
Yes, you need a screw driver.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
Funny -- I didn't see it on either diagram. On my P250, it's an black, asterisk-shaped bit of plastic that fits around the idle screw's head. Easy to grip and turn by hand for quickie idle adjustments.

..all my idle screws are kinda recessed...

..i want me one of those asteriks!!!

;D
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »
That's funny that they'd put that on the P250, and maybe on nothing else... then again, a set of jumper cables comes with the GV250, and no other model, as far as I know...

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 06:40:51 PM »
Is it possible that this discussion about the idle speed mean you are adjusting two different things?  One is the Throttle Stop Screw and the other is the Pilot Screw.

The Throttle Stop only effects the idle speed in that it changes the minimum position for the throttle cable. 

The Pilot screw adjusts the air/fuel mixture (of the bike at idle rpms ... as set by the Throttle Stop Screw)

jprestonian

• View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »
The "throttle stop screw" is the idle speed adjustment, as it is on all carburetor-equipped engines.

The "pilot screw" is, as you say, the fuel-air mixture adjustment, which unless you change altitudes often (and radically, at that) will likely never need adjusting post-PDI.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()