Author Topic: Stalling  (Read 8298 times)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Stalling
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 01:16:43 AM »
..there are some dealer servicing horror stories here..

..but there are some dealers that will back their products as well..
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2010, 03:55:36 AM »
So my P S 250 has about 5,000 miles on it, and I've just run into my first problem.  I've noticed for a while that when the bike is warming up, it seems like it has been revving a little low.  Two weeks ago, it actually stalled while it was warming up, after running for about 8 seconds.  In the past week, the problem has gotten worse, and it now sounds like it's going to stall for about a minute when you start it after it's been cold, unless you give it a little gas.  Two nights ago, the bike was cold and I had just pulled away down the block and came to a stop sign; when I stopped at the stop sign I actually stalled.

So, I think it's idling too low and I was planning on adjusting the idle screw on the carburetor a little bit.  This is the first time I've worked on my bike besides basic maintenance, so I wanted to see what you guys thought first.

I don't know if this is related to my first problem, but there's one other strange thing I've always noticed with my bike.  When I ride it for a while, and I stop to go into the store or have a meal or something, and it cools down a bit, and then I go back out and start it up again, the rear wheel sometimes spins when it's still on the center stand and I haven't given it any gas.  Sometimes, it gets going quite fast, and I have to put on the rear brake before I take it off the center stand.  If I let it sit on the center stand long enough, and the let the choke go down, it stops.  I never worried about this too much before.  Should I?  Anyone else experience this?  Thanks!!!

..most of these actions are commom...some relavent to temperatuer and weather conditions...

..my scoot runs pretty consistant..

..but not the same..every day...

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2010, 03:59:10 AM »
My scooter consistently runs rough, sounds like it's going to die, and sometimes does die, under specific conditions.  It's more than the vicissitudes of daily existence, there's something going on... :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2010, 04:05:41 AM »
..first really technical question would be...

..have you done any plug chops to confirm what your fuel mix is...

.. at when you are experiencing these failures??

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »
I don't know what a plug chop is, so no, I haven't done them.

I get the problem after the auto-choke comes down, but before the bike is really warmed up and at it's optimal temperature.  It lasts maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute if I keep the bike going.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:28 AM »
..that's about what mine does...upon initial start-up...

but once she's up and running, everything flows....

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 01:18:17 AM »
...plug chops are when you run your scoot...for a good length of time at a certain throttle position...then kill the engine..immediately stop, holding that throttle position, remove your plug and observe the condition of the firing ring and electrodes...

spooker

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 01:30:48 AM »
So you think I should not worry about occasional stalling?  It bugs me in particular, because I commute just about 6 blocks, so I'm usually in that initial warm-up period, except during my 10 hour weekend rides :)

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 01:32:27 AM »
..well, try adjusting the idle mix screw...

..might smooth out your commute a bit...

..or maybe warm your scoot up a cpl times before striking out....

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()