Author Topic: Agility City 50 poor performance  (Read 5050 times)

Fonzie

• View Profile
Agility City 50 poor performance
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:34:54 PM »
Hi. Just bought my son an Agility City 50. Low mileage one mature owner from new. My problem is, it would only pull 27mph (43km/h). I derestricted it by fitting the larger main jet, replacement variator collar and cut the red/violet wire on the CDI unit. I now pulls 34mph (54km/h) which is what it should do in restricted form.
I have adjusted the valve clearances, fitted a new plug, checked the air filter, replaced the variator rollers, cleaned the carb etc etc. Everything seems fine.
Has anyone else had a similar problem. If so, how did you resolve it?

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
Re: Agility City 50 poor performance
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:58:28 PM »
..umm...the cdi...what color wires go into the connector??

..oh, and Welcome to th' Forum, Fonzie!!

..Heyy!!...
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:05:55 PM »
..i gotta run out for a lil while, but if you could give more specific information...

..year of scoot...

..actual kilometers..

..roller wts, jet size...etc..and the cdi info, i'll hit you back in about 30 mins...

..I have adjusted the valve clearances...  .04mm is the spec...

peace
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 12:05:56 AM by wordslinger »

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 03:21:53 AM »
sounds like something went wrong when you cut the wire on the cdi box.
on my kymco scoot you dont cut the wire you cut the box it self. mmm  :-\

Fonzie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 07:52:24 AM »
2008 model. 3000kms. The rollers are the original ones (6g I think).
The main jet is #86.
I cut the violet/purple wire to the CDI as per Kymco's instructions (the CDI cut is for Agility 50 models: the Agility City 50 has a different CDI unit).

axy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 08:01:34 AM »
Hi. Just bought my son an Agility City 50. Low mileage one mature owner from new. My problem is, it would only pull 27mph (43km/h). I derestricted it by fitting the larger main jet, replacement variator collar and cut the red/violet wire on the CDI unit. I now pulls 34mph (54km/h) which is what it should do in restricted form.
I have adjusted the valve clearances, fitted a new plug, checked the air filter, replaced the variator rollers, cleaned the carb etc etc. Everything seems fine.
Has anyone else had a similar problem. If so, how did you resolve it?

50 cc scoots with larger wheels have poorer performance and acceleration due to unsprung mass compared to their counterparts with smaller wheels.
Take a look at Gilera DNA, it had "sporty" look and larger wheels and was not as quick as Aprilia SR50 or Piaggio NRG 50 despite the same engine, and therefore never really caught on.

However, the numbers you post seem to be quite low-ish. On the other hand, is your scoot 2stroke or 4 stroke?
If it's 4 stroke, from my experience with stock 50 cc 4 stroke scoots, I would not expect anything much better than true 54 km/h...

---
Kymco People GT300i 2017 ABS Euro4
Kymco Agility 125 2008

(Past: Kymco People 250S, Piaggio Beverly 200, Kawasaki ZR-7S, Yamaha TW125, Kymco Cobra Cross 50, Peugeot Zenith 50, Piaggio NRG 50 mc2 72 cc Naraku kit)

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 06:22:36 PM »
   It seems we did have someone with the same problem,You cut only one wire? If so i think he had to buy another unrestricted cdi.
   I have found the taller tire scoots to be more stable and handle quite good once tuned and soak up those pot holes and ruts much better With a higher top speed potential than the smaller tired scoots.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

Fonzie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 12:27:53 AM »
I had another play with it today and found that the standard main jet was #80 and the larger one was only #82. I fitted a #90 and it now pulls 37mph (59km/h). Something weird is also happening. When I am going at full speed and put my hand very close to the air filter intake, it actually gains about 2mph! To me, that would suggest it is getting too much air or not enough fuel. I may try a little larger jet size.
By the way, the workshop manual shows that the valve clearances should be 0.04mm, but Kymco have told me this was a misprint and they should be set to 0.10mm.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:50:44 AM »
..how th' hell you get your hand down there while riding??

???

...dunno who you talked to at kymco, but the valve spec IS .04mm...

..and yeah, u might be a bit lean...

..you would benefit from some 5 gram rollers also...a free-flow air filter and a 1000 contra (torque drive) spring...

Fonzie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 01:29:14 AM »
Sorry, but the valve clearance is 0.10. I have it in writing from the Kymco importers in the UK. I have also spoken to their technical dept. 0.04 is too small and risks burnt out valves.
The air intake on my model can be turned sideways, so it's easy to get your hand on it whilst riding. I fitted some 5g rollers today. It helps it rev a little higher than before. I also replaced the rear clutch spring.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 01:51:44 AM »
..must have a COMPLETELY different engine than what we have in the states then...

..all our A50s set at .04mm...

art

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 04:04:39 AM »
Ya most old honda's .04 quite a difference Does it sound allright? You can hear a clacky valve. Is this an imperial mesurement ? Not that i'd know how to convert  ;D
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

blue

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 07:02:28 PM »
lol o my a valve cap like that you should realy hear it go clatter clatter then bang;;;;
my 50 is only .04 and I have been driveing it for 4 years now and all is good. it must be a big motor
or something.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 10:58:57 PM »
...been settin my '08 at .04mm for goin' on 52,000 kms...hmmm...

stuh7

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 01:34:34 PM »
not to start an argument but i too got told 0.10 by my local dealer style motorcycles in bramley england
but like wordslinger and the other gods of kymco i know a lot more people who do it to 0.04.
could it be a fuel thing ie in england we have 97octane and 99 octane or am i just talking s**t? either way mine easly go's to the 50mph mark on a slight down hill and does 40-45 on the flat. but down to 20 up hill and that is straight form the dealer (with them deristricting it and playing with it) 
I may be small but look how far i will go!!!

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()