Author Topic: oil on clutch  (Read 1155 times)

preacher son

• FTW
    • View Profile
oil on clutch
« on: October 23, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
2009 MXU 150, 1500 miles on it, bought for my gdaughter. It will not pull a small hill from dead stop. Been looking for answers and all lead to clutch

When i pulled cover off there was oil in the clutch case, everything i saw was this is suppose to be dry. Am i right or wrong? Possible seal or bearing gone bad?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: oil on clutch
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
I've a scooter...but sure don't think that there is supposed to be oil on the workings under that CVT belt cover. Engine or gear oil from front or rear shaft seal leaking into the area it sounds like. Unless leaking into the cover from above?? Airfilter flooded?....but those covers are usually very well sealed to keep water out.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 05:30:24 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

preacher son

• FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 05:58:46 PM »
Thanks for reply Stig. After pulling clutch and belt i cleaned everything best i could and sanded the clutch fiber shoes and cleaned the bell housing. Put back together and test drove, no doubt that is suppose to be dry. Im thinkin coming from engine or tranny shaft. I got to get a compact to get the front pully off.............of course LOL.  Dont ya love it when you buy something for a great price only to find out why when ya get home LOL  Oh wellllllll

Preacher Son

vespbretta

• "Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 08:47:06 PM »
It for sure comes either from engine- or tranny shaft. So it´s either dirty Motor- or clean Gearoil. And it´s expectable and quiet normal after nine year of not using/riding it.
1500miles is literally nothing in nine years. Expect other plastic- and rubber parts also to be worn out or maybe at the end of it´s lifespan.
Seals wear not only by not being lubed with regulary usage but also by aging with the years. Also depends on the quality of the seals of course.

And if I were you I would change both shaft seals at the same time not only the actually leaking one...  ;) Good investment into the future.
Cheers,
Robo

Kymco Like LX 200i white/blue 2014; FACO Rear Crash Bars; Kymco Front Crash Bar; Puig Windshield Traffic;  Shido Battery LTX9-BS LION; 13gr. Dr. Pulley sliders and sliding pieces; Throttle control; Full synth. 10W-50 Motor- & Synth Gearoil; modified Topcase; Italian Badges and Stickers

preacher son

• FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 08:52:08 PM »
Thanks  vespbretta, good advice and i will take it.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 07:49:07 AM »
The good news is that scooter engines are relatively easy to split in half and get to the crank, once you get the variator off. It'll probably just be the gasket set and seals, which aren't expensive.

Best of luck with sorting it out!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

preacher son

• FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 12:33:45 PM »
Welp i tell ya Viper i have never enjoyed splitting cases, thats more involved then i care for but sometimes ya aint got a choice lol

I picked this atv up for 500 guess i cant complain, already went a round with the cid? that powers the starter. When i got it there was a button cut in to side going directly to the solenoid.  I traced the wires, cut loose from cdi and wired solenoid direct to battery, now the handlebar button works starter again. The lights are also not getting power but she dont ride at night. Same thing with the steering plastic bushing that was missing. I made my own

Finding 'affordable' parts seems to be the challenge here.   

Reminds me of my Harley chopper days LOL

Preacher Son

boo

• I hate censorship people manipulate you
    • View Profile
a common problem with scooters is
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 01:12:17 PM »
the crankshaft seal leaking. It happened to me. The engine does not have to be torn down to replace and install a new one.
300GTI black
Pro 2A - member GOA & NRA

preacher son

• FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »
Thank you boo, you just made my day, i was starting to think about liquid nail LMAO

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
Re: a common problem with scooters is
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 09:06:07 AM »
the crankshaft seal leaking. It happened to me. The engine does not have to be torn down to replace and install a new one.

That's great news! How do you do it?

The bad news is that I've clearly done this unnecessarily in the past :|
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

boo

• View Profile
Re: a common problem with scooters is
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 10:38:44 AM »
That's great news! How do you do it?

The bad news is that I've clearly done this unnecessarily in the past :|

Viper, when my GT was fairly new, it had oil in the variator housing. It was dripping on my garage floor. I took it to the dealer where I bought it. At the time it was under warranty. They inspected it and told me it was the crank seal leaking. They said this happens even with new scoots some times. They have a way of pulling the old seal and tapping a new one in. I did not watch them do it but, I did ask them if they had to tear the engine apart to do the job. They said no. It was not too much of a job. They said it took as long to remove and replace the variator housing as it did to replace the seal. Wish I could have been there to watch the procedure. I assumed they used a hook and slider tool to remove the damaged seal.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:42:19 AM by boo »
300GTI black

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
Viper, when my GT was fairly new, it had oil in the variator housing. It was dripping on my garage floor. I took it to the dealer where I bought it. At the time it was under warranty. They inspected it and told me it was the crank seal leaking. They said this happens even with new scoots some times. They have a way of pulling the old seal and tapping a new one in. I did not watch them do it but, I did ask them if they had to tear the engine apart to do the job. They said no. It was not too much of a job. They said it took as long to remove and replace the variator housing as it did to replace the seal. Wish I could have been there to watch the procedure. I assumed they used a hook and slider tool to remove the damaged seal.
Yeah, I've seen at least one video of them being pulled and re-seated on a scooter. Might have been on the Burgman forum. Apparently not a big deal at all. No case splitting needed.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 01:32:48 PM »
Awesome knowledge at work! Thanks all.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

preacher son

• FTW
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 02:19:39 PM »
Finally got my air impact wrench so will be on this project soon.  Need to order seal before i tear it apart so my grand daughter can ride it over Thanksgiving. I  have it cleaned up enough she will be fine for a little bit.  Will post my experience when i get it done  ;)

boo

• View Profile
Just thought of something else
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2018, 12:15:02 AM »
It is important to know exactly where the oil is coming from.
Take the variator housing off. Clean the inside good. Ride the scoot and get the oil hot. Park it and watch for drips or runs.
On a side note, the axle housing is vented into the variator housing through the breather filter. If the axle housing has had an excess amount of oil put in it, it can burp the oil into the air filter saturating it. That in turn will put oil in your variator housing. Just something to check. At least that is how it is on my GT.
Good luck.
300GTI black

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()