Author Topic: Break in  (Read 1384 times)

ignited

• View Profile
Break in
« on: October 27, 2018, 06:35:19 PM »
Controversial I know. Looking for a preponderance of opinion. Soft as per the manual or hard like much of the available science suggests?
Kymco Venox 250 Light Cruiser Motorcycle
Kymco Super 8 150X
Honda Ruckus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: Break in
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2018, 07:15:30 PM »
Who built your engine?
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

ignited

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2018, 07:45:30 PM »
Thanks Stig. Yeah I know, but I've been reading a lot. Turns out the first 20 miles might be the most important not the first 600 . . . and one would hope the set up guy at the dealership was not tempted to "see what she could do" unless of course it turns out that is what's best for seating the rings etc. which many engineers postulate is indeed the case. I'm following the manual's directive yet asking the question to people who may have the knowledge.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 05:39:10 PM by ignited »
Kymco Super 8 150X
Honda Ruckus

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2018, 10:22:47 PM »
Thanks Stig. Yeah I know, but I've been reading a lot. Turns out the first 20 miles might be the most important not the first 600 . . . and one would hope the set up guy at the dealership was not tempted to "see what she could do" unless of course it turns out that is what's best for seating the valves etc. which many engineers postulate is indeed the case. I'm following the manual's directive yet asking the question to people who may have the knowledge.
Completely understand your dilemma. ......
So, doubt very much that you can damage the longevity of an engine by following the manufacturer's recommendations.

Plenty of guys will prove otherwise with their "40years" of experience.......but that, perhaps, is only proof of how well most engines are built. Even tormenting them won't break most of them.
Just my $.02.
(One other point.....few owners will keep a scooter long enough to see the long term effects of poorly handled break-in procedures )
I think my Burgman's break-in lasted 1,000 miles.
Stig
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 10:32:01 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 12:27:15 AM »
Seems to take a Downtown 300i about 7000 miles to fully break in!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2018, 06:32:35 PM »
 ;D ;D  my rings are broken in in 25 miles ,  I have a steep hill 2 miles from home , and I run up the hill at WOT over 60 MPH from stop at the bottom,  turn around and hit the top of the hill at 60 MPH closed throttle,  at 25 miles I go home and change the oil HOT.,  then I ride like normal  stig style,  never had to add oil between oil changes and lots of power at all speeds,  my kymco 300i is at 87,000 KM.    the only thing go wrong is the REG.  that did in the stator, because I KEPT ON RIDING TO LONG with a bad REG.,   hind site is 20-20  ITS, SNOWING HERE   can I send it to anyone who wants a early white Xmas,.   

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 02:45:15 AM »
Manufacturers break in instructions are nearly impossible to follow on any small bike.  I took it reasonably easy on my Super 8 the first few hundred miles but didn't stick to the manufacturers guidelines.  With over 32,000 miles on it now I guess I didn't damage the motor during the break in period 8)
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 10:29:15 AM »
Manufacturers break in instructions are nearly impossible to follow on any small bike.
Yep, at the recommended 4,000RPM limit---- one cannot safely ride a new Burgman 400 out of a parking lot for the first few weeks.
But, a good jr high try is appreciated.....

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 11:31:02 AM »
Keep in mind that owners manuals are written more by lawyers than by the engineers.  Then add in some pretty poor translating into English in some cases.  Following the manual's break in procedure to the letter may actually harm your motor.  I try to take it easy at first then gradually run it harder.  It's best to vary the RPM and load on the motor and gradually increase both as the miles accumulate.  Sticking strictly by the guidelines makes no sense from an engineering standpoint.  It's not like something magical happens at a certain number of miles so that you can now safely run at XX more RPMs. 

Also keep in mind that they try to keep things simple in the manuals.  It's just like the MSF who teaches some incorrect stuff in the interest of keeping things simple for beginners. 

I have owned many bikes over the last 38 years.  I haven't had any issues despite NEVER following the break in procedures to the letter.

Some people like to run their bikes hard right away as a break in procedure.  Engines are built good enough that this probably won't harm them but I wouldn't do it. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 11:33:53 AM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

ignited

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 05:39:52 PM »
Kymco Super 8 150X
Honda Ruckus

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()