Author Topic: About to order new Xtown 300i  (Read 2795 times)

john grinsel

• View Profile
About to order new Xtown 300i
« on: November 10, 2018, 12:49:11 AM »
I usually get a new bike every year----I will be 80 on my next birthday, had over 75 new bikes/scooter, ridden over 1.5 million miles since 1955---like to use bike/scooter for every transportation need.   Experience with rubber band drive scooter--about 10 new since 1990----400,000 miles, only one broken drive belt (Helix in VA).   Do own service and tire work--bike goes to dealer for re-call or warranty-----this year have Honda CB300F, it has been Maine to CA, James Bay Road in Quebec----tired of open chain.  Like the enclosed drive train of modern scooter and the dry feet thing in rain.   Recent maxi--scooters=4 Helix/1 Reflex/2 Burgman 400's/2 Honda SilverWing 600's(they were getting too top heavy for me).

So going to give Kymco a try this time---$4000 price Xtown 300i abs, very attractive----only thing missing is parking brake...and windshield that works-----did some research today on phone, know dealer where I will buy, Dalton, GA-----2019''s are available,, colors grey or blue.

Think I can use fork gatters I already have/bolt one of the two top boxes I have directly to rear spoiler(my dog always goes with me in box) I may be able to use GIVI hump bag I already have.....dog can ride there, too.   Will try Laminar Lip (bolted) to start with on windshield.

Two year warranty is attractive, although I hope nothing breaks.   Have   no fear of Kymco engines (after all BMW/Kawsaki/Suzuki and Yamaha in some models have Kymco hearts.....and in Korea, Daelim 250 scooter has/had Kymco powertrain.

Hope there will be heading for Xtown 300i   on this forum.  Wish me luck----this scooter insures for the same rate (low) I pay with Allstate for the CB300F

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: About to order new Xtown 300i
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 01:04:46 AM »
Good for you!
Nothing like that new scooter engine cooling down smell after your first good ride!
Please place your vote for the x300i in the poll atop General heading.
I will forward the poll to forum admin. for his action in December.
Also, would enjoy hearing more about your buying and riding experience with this interesting new Kymco  model.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2018, 01:18:33 AM »
Yes, John! With an intro such as yours I am tempted to say something incredibly outrageous considering your experience like: When do you plan to take the Basic Rider Course! But I will save that for later when you find out how many of us here are really insane! We have an octogenarian here from Canada named De dee who is currently in love with an Italian Piaggio 350 while he chases an electrical in his Downtown 300i. Will be eagerly waiting to hear what you have to say about the XT 300i ABS. Welcome to the really great fun nut farm!

By the way, I am on my second DT300i since the first one was stolen and wrecked. Firts one had 20000 miles when sticky fingers got it. The dope tried to start it by pulling it behind a Suburban.....with a rope tied to the forks!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2018, 07:15:08 PM »
You could also consider the 400i, it has a parking brake  ;D. It is a very comfortable cruiser.

Dean

Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2018, 10:56:31 PM »
Parking brake? Awright!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 01:49:32 AM »
$2000 for parking brake---I can live without it  Did for years with vespa...but they could/should be parked in gear

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 03:06:27 AM »
$2000 for parking brake---I can live without it  Did for years with vespa...but they could/should be parked in gear
Keep two or three heavy rubber bands on your right turn signal. With scoot on the side stand, apply front brake and slide one of the bands onto the grip & lever. Save your $ for nice cheese & good wine.
The best bands come from broccoli bunches fresh at Di Palo's, in Little Italy, NYC (or Zingone Brothers, the Upper West Side, is good, too)
 Tell Guido Stig says, "Hi!"

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2018, 01:31:16 AM »
I will try rubberband idea as parking brake when necessary or in parking situations where bike could roll away.

Like to add to my original post---had new Yamaha TMAX---mabe best riding/handling maxi scooter, as Miles  rolled up, sold as I figured maint. cost would be high  at 30,000 miles.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2018, 08:05:01 AM »
Hi!

Hope this works out well for you with the Kymco. I don't think you'll have any problem with the motor.

I rode cheap bikes to destruction for about 10 years, and to be fair, only killed one properly - it's amazing how robust they can be with continued maintenance, even when nudging 60,000 miles. The one I properly destroyed was a freak occurence - cam chain tensioner failed at 24K causing an uneconomical repair. I did like that scooter very much (Wangye SB125T-23B)
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 02:16:02 PM »
Heavy rubber band good idea. I use velcro drop cord straps. Either beats $2000!
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2018, 06:38:12 PM »
Went this morning to arrange pick up/payment/and arrange sale of my CB300F.

Scooter I will be getting is 2019 model XTown 300i abs---colors for blue and some sort of matte grey. price is up  $2-300-----no left over 2018 white were available leftover.

Blue ok with me.

Will take me awhile to get used to new scooter, build a tool kit for trip security, hopefully mount my Bestem box without buying Givi Rack (which Givi does not have in stock anyway).
.  Add front mudflap, install cruise control/throttle stop (have all of this from other bikes). Insurance from Allstate (full coverage for at least first year about $140 from them)

And as I do with all displacement stuff....paint throttle marks on twist grip---lets me know I am not running wide open when I do not have to.

Have figured out way home no freeway for first miles....to give engine a break. 50 miles

Windshield and buffeting....hopefully I can work out---2 point clamp on spoiler from Puig. Is what I have found.   First ride and then decide.

In stall  "Ride-On" in both front and rear tire.  Tires stay balanced this way and stuff can/may seal small punctures.  Been using this stuff for several years now.

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 03:09:59 AM »
john grinsel, wow, what a history with bikes!  I sure hope I'm still actively riding when I approach 80 (early 50's now). As Stig said earlier, would love to hear some stories about the bikes and adventures you've had over the years.

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy your new Kymco.
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
In the morning, Sat, deliver old bike to be sold and pick up new scooter----ride back roads home, to give new engine a break.  Bought insurance today---25 degrees F this AM, hope it is a little warmer in the morning tomorrow, but as long time high mileage rider have the stufff to stay warm on 35-40 mile trip down the freeway---Darien pants over long underwear, Darien Jacket with feather jacket, have lots of gloves---helmet with face shield.   Only wimps trailer new bikes home.  I bought the Kymco to ride, be interesting to see how much ridden in 2019 and how it stays the course.  Will be paying with credit card.

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2018, 10:31:36 PM »
Picked up new xtown 300i this AM. Kinda lite up blue, 2019 model, price up$2-300 up---out the door--taxes, lic, freight ended up being about$4900 out the door.

Scooter is big,  Burgman 400 size almost.  Heavy but well balanced----rode 50 miles back roads to avoid freeway and give new engine a break.

Performance, broken in will be fine, 6,000 rpm=about 60mph.  Nut and screw valve adjustment---no shims=great

Drive line take up=smooth.

Have to figure out octane requirments as there are two....and Kymco seems to use the one

the Europeans use

Windshield does not shield enough in my book---but no or little buffeting, right now cold air hits you in the shoulders---Puig spoiler will not fix that probably----wider Givi Shield may.  Time will tell

Think I can mount my $40 Bestem box without buying expensive luggage rack.  Foam grips and throttle stop already on.  Tomorrow comes box mounting and front mudflap instal.

At68 inches leg position a little cramped/short.   Under seat storage no very big.l

I am so far satisfied with purchase and dealer...even happy-er when they sell my other bike, Honda 2017 CB300F.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2018, 12:45:20 AM »
If the engine is anything like the 300 gti, it purred nicely on 93 octane.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()