Author Topic: dr pulley slider weights  (Read 12292 times)

ispud

• View Profile
dr pulley slider weights
« on: August 25, 2010, 09:30:32 PM »
Just read a post that mentioned them twice.  What do they do for you?  How much are they?  Easy enough to install?  I will google.

:)>>

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
Re: dr pulley slider weights
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »
They replace the roller weights in your variator. They wear better, supposedly.

I have 20g weights in my P250... probably too light, but I like the change in the performance for in-town riding, so far. Very fast take-off acceleration. Top speed has been reduced by several MPH indicated, though.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 11:24:52 PM »
  One if the best replacments you can get,because of there design they do not get flat spots and wear more even,can be a little tricky to install the right way.
Kymco peoples too many ;) I'm not an expert just a full time hobbiest.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 05:59:31 PM »
  One if the best replacments you can get,because of there design they do not get flat spots and wear more even,can be a little tricky to install the right way.

I have installed them incorrectly, you will be limited as to your top speed and I think it makes the variator sound funny.

art

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
Ha! you would'nt think there were that many ways to do it wrong, I did them all  ;D  Didn't have a guide with the first set i picked up.

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:47:42 PM »
I think they are in wrong again.   ::)

I recently read about a Vespa rider that put the ROLLERS in the wrong way and it chewed up his variator.  It matters which end of the slider or roller faces which direction.  The nylon is there to prevent he weight from causing damage to the slide ramps in the variator.

http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic70762

art

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
  Hmm! That is interesting,never thought about it. The smaller bikes have about the same space either side but one is a bit more protected. The larger bike so seem to be less protected on one side.
  Those do look like they may not be the correct width for the veriater though. I suppose you would want to run the protected side opposite the spin direction  ???   :D

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »
These are what th e rollers looked like:

art

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 12:32:05 AM »
  Ya haven't played with those yet. I could see a down side there they are made to slip over different inner weight's and position would  deffinatly matter if they are sloshing around in there. :D  but standard rollers do have one side more covered than the other.

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 09:29:15 PM »
I would want to increase my low end performance if I do this.  Can you quantify the increase - I know that might be tuff to do.  I probably top speed at 60 mph for about 10 percent of my riding - mostly around 40/45 mph.  How much top end do you lose?  And mine is 2009 ps250 - anyone know exactly what ones I would want to get?  And the pictures are of stock rollers? (the green ones)

TechGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:38:12 PM »
I would want to increase my low end performance if I do this.  Can you quantify the increase - I know that might be tuff to do.  I probably top speed at 60 mph for about 10 percent of my riding - mostly around 40/45 mph.  How much top end do you lose?  And mine is 2009 ps250 - anyone know exactly what ones I would want to get?  And the pictures are of stock rollers? (the green ones)

The green ones shown above are from a Vespa.  The ones below are from my Kymco P250 (same as P250s ... and B&W and GV if I remember correctly). 

I installed "23x18 21gram" sliders. Preston installed the 20 g ones. I can exceed 80 indicated easily.  I like the low-end acceleration but it's not racing fast....  it's just faster than most cages fast. I bought mine for 40 including tax and shipping. It took two days for me to get them in the mail.

In reference to the previous post, the slider and rollers (both types) have one end where the inner metal sleeve show and the other end with a nylon covering. This is where I (and the rider in the Modern Vespa posting I referenced) went wrong.  The nylon covers the end of slider/roller and prevents the inner metal sleeve from causing damage to the variators ramps. You can see in the image below, the metal on the end of the sliders shows wear.  The "nylon" end of the slider should be in that location.

SO, what I learned today is that for my scoot (and most others I assume) the nylon is facing you when you place them in left side of the variator.  

This is another correct image from the makers website.  What confused me is this show the right side of the variator but the instructions show the left.  What I didn't consider was they show different ends of the sliders... nylon in my illustration vs metal in this photo.

jprestonian

• 2007 Kymco People 250, 2011 Honda PCX
    • View Profile
    • a scooter called wanda
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:42:00 PM »
Tough to quantify, without a track/timer set up, yeah.

I went with 20g Dr Pulley weights in my 2007 P250 -- I wanted heavier, but that was the heaviest I could find. They are probably 5g lighter than the stock weights.

0-50MPH is like being shot out of a cannon.

I lost about 4-5MPH off the top end. Current top speed: 79MPH.

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
The "nylon" end of the slider should be in that location.

SO, what I learned today is that for my scoot (and most others I assume) the nylon is facing you when you place them in left side of the variator.  

..that's common to any rollers that have a similar edging...

..excellent post!!
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

wordslinger

• undead primate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2010, 11:44:55 PM »
..the purpose is to reduce wear on the "pushed" end of the roller / slider...

;)
..every mod (action) necessitates a (reaction) mod..

ispud

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 02:22:52 PM »
sounds like 20 grams for me - I like the sound of shot out of a cannon - although my scooter already has real good acceleration compared to my 200 Aprilia which is kinda doggy (6 seconds to 40 mph from standstill).  I will order some next week and refer to pictures and info here when I go to  put them in.  One other question - when I tried to get my cover off the variator I could not get one on the bolts out - it was the one upper left (as I recall) - I could not get to it with the tools I have - anyone have a tip to get this one out?

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()