Author Topic: kymco drive belt slipping  (Read 1544 times)

rls

• View Profile
kymco drive belt slipping
« on: November 22, 2018, 02:03:49 AM »
I was having trouble with drive belt slipping.   Finally worked up courage to get into checking it out.  Found water inside cover for clutch and drive belt.   Forgive my ignorance.    what would be next steps I need to take?  How did water get in?  What do I need to do to Fix the problem?  thanks for all the help in advance!!

MJR

• View Profile
Re: kymco drive belt slipping
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 03:20:15 AM »
Have you been riding in the rain, washing the bike, or fording any rivers/lakes?
'03 Clipper Yellow Honda Reflex
'03 Coast Cyan Atlantic 500
'14 White MyRoad 700i
'09 Mirage White Burgman 650
'06 Oort Gray Burgman 650 project
'05 Sonic Silver Burgman 650 project
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650, rebuilt/upgraded CVT w/Polish adapter
'03 Space Blue Burgman 650 parts bike

rls

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 03:32:13 AM »
I did wash it, then it sat for a few days...road a few times (4 or 5x's) then al of sudden started slipping.     been sitting outside in weather lately, moved to garage (heated) sat for couple days.   Rode the side by side and it worked for few hours no problem then started slipping again.......from previous post torn into it and took cvt cover loose and drained about 3 ounces water from housing

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »
check the filter  in the tranny,  it may be plugged,  the fins on the driving pulley should keep the water out, my 2011 downtown 300i has no filter and I have been in heavy down pore, with no slippage at any time  87,000 km and still smiling, 

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
I thought water should drain naturally from that housing. Is something strange going on?
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2018, 11:23:39 AM »
  if the filter has lots of dust in it,   it will hold more water, and it looks clean but full of dust,

rls

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
thanks for the help and suggestions, ill check filter.  get back soon if filter not the problem

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2018, 07:08:28 PM »
Sorry about replying here, I’m just an owner of a 125 Agility  :-[

Today I removed my Agility’s dust cover for the first time, and noticed the following :

1. There is no water drain outlet at the lowest point of the cover / housing.

2. The Agility comes with a gasket  between the cover and main housing. If the gasket is missing, I think water might accumilating inside the cover, just by washing the scooter.

3. The cover has a dust outlet opening more or less at the center (bottom) of the cover, but this opening (hole) is not at the lowest point of the cover. Which means if you ever ride in deep water, the water might get inside, and will be trapped inside the cover. Depending on what the cover at your scooter looks like, I think water might even get splashed into to the dust outlet when you ride in rainy conditions as well.

I think the solution would be just to drill a small utlet hole at the lowest point of the dust cover.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 07:10:36 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2018, 09:04:10 AM »

I think the solution would be just to drill a small utlet hole at the lowest point of the dust cover.

Drilling a hole will just let more rainwater in.  Better to try to stay out of the water in the first place! Installing the cover with a clean gasket helps to keep things dry, no gasket sealer required. Water won't hurt it, but it runs better when dry.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 09:58:11 AM »
Drilling a hole will just let more rainwater in. 

Not nessarily, but yes, stay away from riding in deep water.

Don’t forget - the box gets quite hot on the inside and heat expansion takes place inside the box. When the box cools down after a ride cool, moist air get sucked into the box. By time moist start building up inside the box and without a small drain hole at the lowest point the water can not escape.

Before I retired we experienced a similar problem on industrial sealed electric motors. Due to heat expansion moist got sucked into the motors, and the lack of drain holes at the lowest point caused many motor failures. The problems were solved by drilling small drain holes at the lowest point of the sealed motors.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2018, 09:24:00 AM »
without a small drain hole at the lowest point the water can not escape

There's large vents fore and aft on most Kymco drive cases.  Still, as you say, avoid the temptation to ride in deep water!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 01:30:49 AM by JJJoseph »

Trucker jay

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2018, 04:36:41 PM »
On my gti300 the original belt was contaminated with oil or grease.  The belt started slipping in the rain with only 3,000 or so miles on it maybe less.  Installed new belt and was good for
15,000 miles till it got out of spec.  I put the original belt back on while I waited for the new belt yeap still slipped.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()