Author Topic: For I Have Gone A Thousand Miles  (Read 1943 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: For I Have Gone A Thousand Miles
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2018, 08:29:33 PM »
I read that if you're seeing metal particles after the second or third oil change....."skip the magnets,  and start saving for an engine rebuild."
Still, some swear by them.....and a big one down there might help trip those L turn lights!
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 04:38:54 AM »
From what I have read, one problem with many magnetic drain oil plugs is that they can come loose and bounce around in the crankcase.  The process Dimple uses will guarantee that doesn't happen with their plugs.

I'll be back home on 28Dec18.  I can get you the specs you need at that time.

Thanks, I will appreciate the specs.

I think the possibility of a bouncing magnet inside the crankcase can easily be avoided in this case just by inslalling a thin steel plate or washer between the magnet and the spring. The spring will press down on the thin steel plate or washer, which will keep the magnet in place.

Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 05:57:18 AM »
I read that if you're seeing metal particles after the second or third oil change....."skip the magnets,  and start saving for an engine rebuild."
Still, some swear by them.....and a big one down there might help trip those L turn lights!
Stig

Seeing small metal particles / dust on a drain plug magnet is very common - even on any given brand new engine. The only reasons why people don't see small metal particles on engines without magnetic drain plugs are :
1. The metal particles / dust get caught at the oil filter.
2. There is no magnet at the drain plug - so the metal particles / dust can not be seen during oil changes.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:00:50 AM by scooterfan »

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 06:21:48 PM »
Dimple also makes "super" magnets intended on be place on the outside of an oil filter. That may work for you.

I agree that metal particles are unfortunately part of in-use motor oil.  Fortunately, some particles are too small to do damage; some are too large to enter close tolerance machined surfaces.  But the "right size" particles can do a lot of damage over a period of time.  The Dimple magnet gets metallic dust out even when if the engine isn't running!

I'll volunteer to take pictures of my scooter magnet during a future oil change and may spring for an oil analysis and share the results sometime in 2019.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »

Dimple also makes "super" magnets intended on be place on the outside of an oil filter. That may work for you.

I'll volunteer to take pictures of my scooter magnet during a future oil change and may spring for an oil analysis and share the results sometime in 2019.

Thanks - I was thinking about the "super" magnets for oil filters as well - but I am not sure whether those magnets are smaller, and whether it would have less magnetic power than the magnets which get installed at drain plugs ?

Whatever the case, I would really appreciate magnet measurements on your plug. There is no need to rush though. Please take your time and just take measurements whenever the oil needs to be changed again.

Thanks again.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2018, 06:20:36 PM »
For Scooterfan
We have just about turned every corner on this thread!  I will send you the measurements but I also think I still have an extra spring loaded drain plug.  I can send it to you - free.  I'll never need it and it would save you the trouble of taking your scooter out of operation.  Send me an e-mail with your name and e-mail.  For me:  Duddy03 = Dale Yaeger  dcyaeger67@gmail.com. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2018, 10:05:42 AM »
For Scooterfan
We have just about turned every corner on this thread!  I will send you the measurements but I also think I still have an extra spring loaded drain plug.  I can send it to you - free.  I'll never need it and it would save you the trouble of taking your scooter out of operation.  Send me an e-mail with your name and e-mail.  For me:  Duddy03 = Dale Yaeger  dcyaeger67@gmail.com. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Thanks, I really appreciate your offer by I'm from South Africa and Shipment cost to South Africa is quite expensive. I don't  expect you to spend money on expensive shipment cost by sending components to me.

I already ordered a spare Plug and at this stage it is already on it's way from China. I  hope the plug will fit, but I will only know for sure when the plug arrives in two or three weeks from now.
If the plug doesn't fit I will let you know, and pay for the shipment cost for sending your plug to me.
Again, thanks for your offer.

Thanks for the good wishes, a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you too.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2018, 12:59:24 AM »
Thanks, I really appreciate your offer by I'm from South Africa and Shipment cost to South Africa is quite expensive. I don't  expect you to spend money on expensive shipment cost by sending components to me.

I already ordered a spare Plug and at this stage it is already on it's way from China. I  hope the plug will fit, but I will only know for sure when the plug arrives in two or three weeks from now.
If the plug doesn't fit I will let you know, and pay for the shipment cost for sending your plug to me.
Again, thanks for your offer.

Thanks for the good wishes, a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to you too.

For Scooterfan

I have the dimensions on the 200i right side oil drain plug:  29 mm X 1.5 thread X 7 mm length.  The diameter and bolt length were both measured with the Dimple ruler.  I used the Dimple gauge on the thread: the O-ring had to be removed to get 2 teeth on the threads.  See the attachments.  I also took a picture of the opening in the screen and measured the distance in mm.  The O-ring measured 35 mm, side to side.  Let me know if you need any other information.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:12:42 AM by Duddy03 »

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2018, 01:15:38 AM »
These seem to be typical GY6 oil screen kits. Bought a spare kit for my LIKE200i. ...spring, O ring, cap, screen. Ebay prices range from $3 to @$9. Think I paid  $7 for the kit from USA seller.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2018, 12:49:43 PM »
For Scooterfan

I have the dimensions on the 200i right side oil drain plug:  29 mm X 1.5 thread X 7 mm length.  The diameter and bolt length were both measured with the Dimple ruler.  I used the Dimple gauge on the thread: the O-ring had to be removed to get 2 teeth on the threads.  See the attachments.  I also took a picture of the opening in the screen and measured the distance in mm.  The O-ring measured 35 mm, side to side.  Let me know if you need any other information.

Hi Duddy03,
Thanks, I really appreciate the measurements. If possible' I will appreciate the OD (Outer Dimension) of the magnet as well.
Maybe the supplier will be willing to send me a similar loose magnet to be installed by myself.

Thanks again.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
The magnet is on the scooter, so I can't measure it right now.  But from the picture the magnet appears to be 12 or 13 mm across.  The screen opening is about 17 mm, so you should be fine.  However, since the opening of the screen is inserted into the engine crankcase, the magnet would require an epoxy glue, I suspect.  The other approach might be to try to "sew" steel threads across the screen opening after the magnet is placed in the screen to lock it into position.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2018, 06:07:29 PM »
Gnzbrg…..are you hanging in there?

(probably gone another thousand miles)
 :)

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio