Author Topic: For I Have Gone A Thousand Miles  (Read 1939 times)

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
For I Have Gone A Thousand Miles
« on: November 30, 2018, 10:59:34 PM »
   Alrighty then, hit the thousand mile mark today on my 2018 Like 200i.  Runs true, starts every time, there's been no problems other than an out of round front tire, replaced by the dealer under warranty.  So here's the regimen:

100 miles: change motor oil.  200 miles: change gear oil, adjust valves.  300: change motor oil. 600:change motor oil.  800: check valves, replace plug, check air filter.  1000 miles: change motor and gear oil.  And that's it!  Easy as pie...
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: For I Have Gone A Thousand Miles
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 11:08:24 PM »
'Nother Stig! That scoot will lsat forever!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:15:35 AM »

100 miles: change motor oil.  200 miles: change gear oil, adjust valves.  300: change motor oil. 600:change motor oil.  800: check valves, replace plug, check air filter.  1000 miles: change motor and gear oil.  And that's it!  Easy as pie...

Very interesting reading.
Do the agents check valves clearances at 200 miles, again at 800 miles, and change spark plugs at 800 miles on all different size engines ?
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

LidoCA

• I LIKE chinese plastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 08:28:04 PM »
 I changed the motor oil and gear oil when I first took delivery. Then at the 600 mile mark. I checked the valves at the 600 mile mark. I checked them every 2k miles like the manual states at first. Now I check the valves every 4k miles. They haven't moved since the 2000 mile check. I change the oils every 1000 miles.
Steve
I have ridden well over 17 miles on my scooters.

2013 LIKE 200i LX.
2016 Yamaha SMax
2014 Yamaha Majesty
La Mirada, Ca.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2018, 05:03:42 AM »

I checked the valves at the 600 mile mark. I checked them every 2k miles like the manual states at first. Now I check the valves every 4k miles. They haven't moved since the 2000 mile check.

To my understaning the correct gap settings for these 200cc engines is 0.1mm. On smallish gaps like 0.1mm I can understand why the manufacturer recommend valve clearance checks / adjustments every 2k miles. The manufacturer obviosly rather “play safe” by recommending clearance adjustments more often.

If the manufacturer recommend valve clearance checks at 2k miles on an engine with a 0.1mm gap setting, it obviously means valve clearance checks on smaller engines (i.e. 50cc engines with a 0.01 /0.02mm gap) should be done more often.
The smaller the recommended gap, the more often valve clearances need to be checked.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2018, 01:07:34 PM »
   Alrighty then, hit the thousand mile mark today on my 2018 Like 200i.  Runs true, starts every time, there's been no problems other than an out of round front tire, replaced by the dealer under warranty.  So here's the regimen:

OK, just curious,  after your first 1000 miles, what will your servicing schedule look like?
Thanks for your post.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Gnzbrg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:12:19 PM »
OK, just curious,  after your first 1000 miles, what will your servicing schedule look like?
Thanks for your post.
Stig

Thinking motor oil change every 500 miles, gear oil every 1000, inspect valves and air cleaner every 1000, (adjust or replace as needed).  Check the belt and brakes every 2000.  Lather, rinse, repeat.
2018 Like 200i
2011 Ruckus
2007 KLR 650
2000 Vulcan 1500Fi
  😎👍

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 06:44:35 AM »

Thinking motor oil change every 500 miles, .........

I like the idea of getting the motor oil changed more often. It definitely can’t hurt.
The only problem I can think of - the thread at the plugs holes might eventually wear out if the plugs get removed that often. Special care should be taken when the plugs get tightened.

I am also thinking of changing the motor oil more often - at least untill I find a high quality magnetic drain plug. Hopefully I will be able to find a suitable Dimple plug somewhere.

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
For scooterfan
The president of Dimple Products, Richard Jodoin, made a super magnet for my Like 200i  - the spring-loaded side.  He kept the do-nothing screen filter intact.  Because it picks up a fair amount of metallic "dust" I am interested in getting another one for the left side and then using this plug to change the oil, most of the time.

A product purchase from Dimple (http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/) includes a free metric bolt and thread gauge that I use all the time.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2018, 04:41:37 PM »
For scooterfan
The president of Dimple Products, Richard Jodoin, made a super magnet for my Like 200i  - the spring-loaded side.  He kept the do-nothing screen filter intact.  Because it picks up a fair amount of metallic "dust" I am interested in getting another one for the left side and then using this plug to change the oil, most of the time.

A product purchase from Dimple (http://www.drainplugmagnets.com/) includes a free metric bolt and thread gauge that I use all the time.

Thanks for the link, but for some or other reason I do not get access to the link. Maybe it's because I'm sitting at the wrong side of the pond.

But yes, I really like those Dimple plugs- the best I've ever seen. I imported a couple of those, and use it at several of my vehicles.

Do you know the correct thread and plug size of a suitable Dimple plug on your scoot ?

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2018, 09:47:41 PM »
Try using www.Magneticoildrainplugs.co.uk.  The right side (oil screen) oil drain plug was modified by Dimple and returned to me.  I guess I didn't jot down the specs on it and I am now in London with my grandkids.  The left side plug is probably the one which would be best to replace anyway.  The original is a M12 (dia.) X 1.5 pitch X 15 length.  But you may have to purchase a M12 mm X 1.5 X 18 mm.  The Stateside price is $35.  By the way, the gear lube drain plug is M8 X 1.25 X 12. 

This forum has been cool on the subject of drain plug magnets.  But the key to a long lasting engine is the combination of the best oil and the best filtration.  But with the Like 200i, the air filter doesn't get dirty and the oil doesn't get properly filtered.  The world's best magnetic oil drain plug may provide us with some help.  The attached is basically an advertisement from Dimple. 

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 10:47:41 PM »

Try using www.Magneticoildrainplugs.co.uk.  The right side (oil screen) oil drain plug was modified by Dimple and returned to me.  I guess I didn't jot down the specs on it and I am now in London with my grandkids.  The left side plug is probably the one which would be best to replace anyway.  The original is a M12 (dia.) X 1.5 pitch X 15 length.  But you may have to purchase a M12 mm X 1.5 X 18 mm.  The Stateside price is $35.  By the way, the gear lube drain plug is M8 X 1.25 X 12. 

According to the service manuals the engines have oil pumps.  I do not know whether the spring loaded oil screens are located at the suction, or outlet side of the oil pumps - but I think the best position to install a magnetic drain plug will be at the big plug just below the oil screen - like yours.
The reason for my thoughts - I guess the screen is at the suction side of the oil pump, but it actually doesn't matter whether the oil screen is at the suction- or outlet side.  The oil pump causes a permanent oil circulation when the engine is running, therefore chances are better that metal dust will be picked up sooner in the oil screen area.

I think another big plus about having a magnet just below the spring - it looks like the spring actually gets in contact with the magnet. Which means the spring itself will also attracts metal dust, and the magnet becomes even more effective.

By the way - did you have to sent your own plug to the magnet supplier to install the magnet ?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 12:38:08 AM by scooterfan »

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 07:52:22 PM »
I have to change my recommendation - the plug with the spring would make the most sense.  The neodymium magnet is strong enough to magnetize the oil screen.  This would increase the value of the Dimple oil drain plug.

My original KYMCO plug was sent to Dimple Products, modified by them and returned.  I have the feeling that other like items are now available for sale from their warehouse.  But, sorry, I can't be sure of that.

In regard to oil drain intervals, the most common is 800 to 1,000 miles.  I would love to extend that for my Like 200i to 1,500 miles after doing some professional oil analysis.  But the cost of oil analysis on the scooter (as I do for my truck) would cost more than the most expensive synthetic motor oil change.  The oil sample itself would take nearly half of the entire crankcase contents (800 mL).  I'll keep you posted and you might one day hear me say, "Please DON"T do what I did to my scooter."

By the way I don't ride the scooter in cold or rainy weather.  And 90% of the riding is at speeds lower than 35 mph.  The bike is not used in severe service.

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 03:40:51 AM »
For scooterfan

If you change oil again I would appreciate if you could take OD dimentions of the neodymium magnet.
I ordered a spare plug from China and hope it will fit. My intention is to contact the magnet supplyer and try to get hold of a loose neodymium magnet. I will then modyfy the spare plug to install the magnet myself.
If the supplier has plugs with magnets that will fit in stock, I will order a plug from them.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:46:08 AM by scooterfan »

Duddy03

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 06:25:09 PM »
From what I have read, one problem with many magnetic drain oil plugs is that they can come loose and bounce around in the crankcase.  The process Dimple uses will guarantee that doesn't happen with their plugs.

I'll be back home on 28Dec18.  I can get you the specs you need at that time.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()