Author Topic: Video of my morning commute.  (Read 647 times)

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
Video of my morning commute.
« on: December 09, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
Typical morning commute for me.

Just kidding.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Video of my morning commute.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2018, 08:35:32 PM »
Glad to hear YOU WERE JUST KIDDING! 'Sides, I knew that was not anywhere near where we met for lunch in August! Har, har!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2018, 10:38:27 PM »
Glad to hear YOU WERE JUST KIDDING! 'Sides, I knew that was not anywhere near where we met for lunch in August! Har, har!

If we ever meet for lunch in Italy, my riding may be a bit more like that.  While that is not the typical Italian scooter rider, they do ride much more aggressively over there than we do here.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Iahawk

• Eastern Iowa, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:18:28 AM »
Holy crap!  While that guy obviously has some serious skills, good reflexes and vision...he also has a death wish! He made about 1000 'assumptions' of other drivers actions...and on this ride he guessed right...but the time will come when he guesses wrong and all it takes is for one car to brake hard or change lanes into him and he's toast.

I was glad that most of the comments called out his ridiculously irresponsible riding. Fun (cringeworthy) to watch...but man...
2010 People S200 - sold after 8 wonderful years!
2014 Ninja 300
1996 Honda Helix
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
It would be fun to see how he would fare if he was transplanted to Saigon for his morning commute.  They are all crazy in our minds!
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 02:48:49 PM »
Speeds seem to be much slower in Saigon.  Bikes are much smaller and slower.

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 02:49:06 PM »
Having lived and ridden 40 years outside of US, commuted in Tokyo/Seoul/Stuttgart/Geissen/Wurzburg/Vicenzia-----that is the way it is if you want to get anyplace.

American riders typically lack real skills to do this on bike/scooter.   While this video is extreme, you need to move to get there.

I watched macho man Marines on their Harleys get smoked by little Japanese girls on 50cc scooters, high heels, too---in Japanese traffic.   One thing in foreign traffic----there is no Bubba in his dually pickup, who might try to shoot you if you get ahead

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 03:21:00 PM »
Having lived and ridden 40 years outside of US, commuted in Tokyo/Seoul/Stuttgart/Geissen/Wurzburg/Vicenzia-----that is the way it is if you want to get anyplace.

American riders typically lack real skills to do this on bike/scooter.   While this video is extreme, you need to move to get there.

I watched macho man Marines on their Harleys get smoked by little Japanese girls on 50cc scooters, high heels, too---in Japanese traffic.   One thing in foreign traffic----there is no Bubba in his dually pickup, who might try to shoot you if you get ahead

Another thing is that in this video the drivers there are used to this kind of riding.  I doubt that there are a bunch of drivers texting like there are here either. 

I also agree that most American riders don't have the skills to do what this guy did so they label him as crazy.  I certainly don't have those skills.  I have never lived anyplace where I could practice or get the experience in that kind of traffic.  I doubt I'd would ever have ridden quite aggressively as this guy did in the video but if I look into my past I can remember times I pushed just as hard, if not harder than this guy except it was on twisty mountain roads, not city traffic.

I have driven a lot in Sicily, although I never had the chance to ride there.  I preferred the more aggressive traffic over there over the semi comatose brain dead driving we typically see here. 
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 04:24:00 AM »
To be honest, its crazy driving like that a lot in Italy, although that guy was acting like an impatient idiot. He looked like he was driving around Naples. I learned very quickly to keep moving and go with the flow. It really honed my scooter skills.. ;D

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2018, 08:30:23 AM »
Having been a scooter courier for a couple of years, there's a lot here that I recognise, although I never wanted to die quite as urgently as this chap does. Also, we had targets, this guy just likes going quickly.

There's a lot of quick-thinking skills on display here. However, there's also a lot of moves that are only possible because the bike is powerful, and spaces he can't get through because the bike is wide. In a race against a slim 110 CVT or step through, I honestly believe he would have lost.

It's high risk though. I did only 2 years as a courier, clocking 23,000 miles, 2000 drops and pretty much took a brand new scooter to it's grave through hard work. I crashed 3 or 4 times. One of them could have been particularly nasty (bike vs. bus) but I had enough presence of mind to launch myself into somebody's front garden through a privet hedge instead. I had to be pull out of hedge suspension by the bus driver, whilst the bike left a bike-shaped hole in the hedge and charged into somebody's front garden. The fact that I rode with a full-face helmet, almost always visor down, probably saved my sight in hindsight as well. Happy days!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 11:40:13 AM »
Having been a scooter courier for a couple of years, there's a lot here that I recognise, although I never wanted to die quite as urgently as this chap does. Also, we had targets, this guy just likes going quickly.

There's a lot of quick-thinking skills on display here. However, there's also a lot of moves that are only possible because the bike is powerful, and spaces he can't get through because the bike is wide. In a race against a slim 110 CVT or step through, I honestly believe he would have lost.

It's high risk though. I did only 2 years as a courier, clocking 23,000 miles, 2000 drops and pretty much took a brand new scooter to it's grave through hard work. I crashed 3 or 4 times. One of them could have been particularly nasty (bike vs. bus) but I had enough presence of mind to launch myself into somebody's front garden through a privet hedge instead. I had to be pull out of hedge suspension by the bus driver, whilst the bike left a bike-shaped hole in the hedge and charged into somebody's front garden. The fact that I rode with a full-face helmet, almost always visor down, probably saved my sight in hindsight as well. Happy days!
You rode your own scooter or was it from the delivery company?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using Tapatalk
Agility City 125

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 12:35:23 PM »
You rode your own scooter or was it from the delivery company?

It was mine. We were "self employed". So my small business, capital expenditure, taxes, insurance. Weird setup but it worked for those of us who could get our heads around the maths!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

jeeves

• Dubrovnik, Croatia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 02:24:57 PM »
It was mine. We were "self employed". So my small business, capital expenditure, taxes, insurance. Weird setup but it worked for those of us who could get our heads around the maths!
[emoji106]
Took a look at Deliveroo on Wikipedia.

Agility City 125

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()