Author Topic: DIY Tool kit to keep a Kymco scooter going ?  (Read 1716 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
DIY Tool kit to keep a Kymco scooter going ?
« on: December 17, 2018, 12:40:09 PM »
I decided to build up my own "tool kit" to keep my scoot going by doing all maintenance and repairs myself.
After doing a lot of reading at this Forum ,and watching several YouTube videos about ways to solve possible problems - it became clear that just by keeping a few new basic components in stock, I should be able to save a lot of money and time n future just by keeping a few new parts in stock. My own experience with my scoot already proved that I could have saved a lot of time and energy if I was just in possession of some new components - just to "plug in, test, and play".

So here is my list of "must have's" in my scoot's "tool kit" to keep the scoot going  the DIY way. Some of the components on the list can easily be tested when things start going wrong, but on some components the easiest way to "test" is just to plug in a new component, and see if the new component makes any difference. I already started ordering some new components for my Kymco "DIY / standby tool kit" - some components still need to be ordered:

1.  Aftermarket CDI. (Ordered already)
2. Voltage regulator. (ordered already)
3.  Ignition coil . (Ordered already)
4.  Upgraded stator ( still need to be investigated and ordered)
5.  Ignition switch ( still need to be investigated and ordered)
6.  Starter external Solenoid (ordered already)
7.  Spark plug (got one already).

I know it might sound stupid to get these components in advance as part as a "tool kit", but I think it will make my life a lot easier by just just "plug in and test"  the DIY way.
I will appreciate more comments about "must have" comments to keep the scoots going the easier DIY way.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:43:22 PM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Re: DIY Tool kit to keep a Kymco scooter going ?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 01:04:51 PM »
Belt?
Spin in an Iridium NGK or Denso - and good for the life of most scooter (owners).
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 03:07:59 PM »
Planning ahead - if the bike ever goes over you will probably need brake levers.  Sucks to be waiting for one when the wind took your scoot over!
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

john grinsel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 04:46:44 PM »
As veteran of over 1.5million 2 wheel miles, over 400,000 miles of that on rubber band drive scooters, carrying parts, other than drive belt kinda stupid as you can never predict what is going to go wrong---need parts=that is what dealers and warranty are for.

Real DIY tool kit should include---wrenches to get wheels off, tire repair kit, pump and allen wrenches to fit the needs of the bike in addition to JIS screw drivers, regular wrenches (sockets, too). Walking sucks.

Anything extra are "shop tools"

Ride a lot and not worry best way for transportation and fun.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 05:49:17 PM »
John, your backside must be one, gigantic callous! 1.5 M miles!
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »
As veteran of over 1.5million 2 wheel miles, over 400,000 miles of that on rubber band drive scooters, carrying parts, other than drive belt kinda stupid as you can never predict what is going to go wrong---need parts=that is what dealers and warranty are for.

Real DIY tool kit should include---wrenches to get wheels off, tire repair kit, pump and allen wrenches to fit the needs of the bike in addition to JIS screw drivers, regular wrenches (sockets, too). Walking sucks.

Anything extra are "shop tools"

Ride a lot and not worry best way for transportation and fun.

I do not agree - having read a lot and watching a number of videos regarding these scooters it became clear that the scooters are quite solid and only a few components actually get faulty. Those components are dirt cheap when imported from China, and to my mind it makes a lot of sense just to keep the components in stock - as "diagnostic tools", as well as replacement parts.

During the previous week I wasted three days working on the scooter - trying to solve a problem which turned out to be a CDI failure. Before I discovered that the CDI was faulty, I followed the usual advice at the Forum:
- "Check the fuel lines for leaks or cracks"
-  "The fuel filter might be dirty"
-  "The carburetor might be dirty"
-  "Loose connections or broken wires"
-  "Spark plug might be faulty"
-  "Ignition coil might be faulty"
- "Ignition switch might be faulty"

Let me put it this way - my scooter is nine years old and I discovered that the fuel hoses and wiring on my scooter still looks brand new. I soon realized there should be no reason to worry about possible cracked hoses, or faulty wires on a nine year old scooter. The usual advice did not solve my problem, and  I even wasted a couple of hours just to discover that the carburetor was perfectly clean.

In short - if I only had a spare CDI in my possession, I would just plug it in to check long before I got involved in stripping the carb to see if it was dirty. After all - just plugging in a new CDI is a lot easier, and take less time than stripping the carb.
It became clear to me that by just having a few new components as part of my "Kymco tool kit" it would become extremely easy to keep the scooter going myself.

On some scooters and motorcycles "diagnostic tools / scanners" can be use to trace faulty components. Diagnostic tools can not be used on my scooter - so my intention is to use new parts as "diagnostic tools" to trace faulty components a lot easier. Therefore I prefer to refer to those components as my "Kymco tool kit".

And yes, I have lots and lots of "real' tools.  I started collecting those tools about 45 years ago to work on all my vehicles and motorcycles.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 06:20:03 PM by scooterfan »

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 06:33:17 PM »
Belt?
Spin in an Iridium NGK or Denso - and good for the life of most scooter (owners).
Stig

Thanks, I forgot about the belt but will place an order in future.
I tried to find an Iridium plug locally without luck - so I bought a new standard plug. When I removed the "old" plug I discovered that it is still brand new. I think the dealer probably installed a new plug just before I bought the scooter.
So for the time being I am actually sitting with two new standard plugs which will keep me going for a while....

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 06:34:56 PM »
Planning ahead - if the bike ever goes over you will probably need brake levers.  Sucks to be waiting for one when the wind took your scoot over!

Thanks for mentioning the wind - I never thought about that !

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 09:53:19 PM »
Thanks, I forgot about the belt but will place an order in future.
I tried to find an Iridium plug locally without luck - so I bought a new standard plug. When I removed the "old" plug I discovered that it is still brand new. I think the dealer probably installed a new plug just before I bought the scooter.
So for the time being I am actually sitting with two new standard plugs which will keep me going for a while....
If I stop by any of the nearby national chain autoparts stores and ask for a specific Iridium
plug...they can have it in 24 hrs or less from their distribution warehouse. Cost @$7.50
 Sometimes I can just order them by phone, without a visit.
Only the weird Honda Forza plug had to come from the U.K.
Stig
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 09:55:18 PM by Stig »
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
I always kept my variator removal tool under the seat, but when I posted that previously there were some people who thought it was overkill. It saved my bacon, once, 600 miles from home, however!
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

scooterfan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 02:03:45 PM »
I always kept my variator removal tool under the seat, but when I posted that previously there were some people who thought it was overkill. It saved my bacon, once, 600 miles from home, however!

Thanks for sharing. I am new to variators and would like to know:

1. Is a special tool needed to remove a variator ?
2. What kind of problem did you experience on your variator 600 miles away from home ?

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »
One way to learn more about scooters is to watch the many youtube videos on servicing them - especially the belt and clutch servicing. There you will see a few different "holding" tools used to remove things under the belt cover.
Youtube has lots of scooter "how-to's"...
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 09:41:57 AM »

Thanks for sharing. I am new to variators and would like to know:

1. Is a special tool needed to remove a variator ?
2. What kind of problem did you experience on your variator 600 miles away from home ?

I had a snapped belt and had to remove the variator to install the new one. I also removed it later in the trip (2500 miles) to swap the rollers over when I fancied they were losing their edge. There's a generic tool - it's about £20, and I have a big 17mm six-point spanner to take the variator nut off. At least, I think it's 17mm...

https://www.euroscooterparts.co.uk/other-components/tools/universal-locking-holding-tool-variator-alternator-clutch.html
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 09:43:47 AM by Viper254 »
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

JJJoseph

• Kymco Sento
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2019, 01:46:55 AM »
There's a generic tool - it's about £20, and I have a big 17mm six-point spanner to take the variator nut off. At least, I think it's 17mm...

A simple battery-powered impact wrench is enough to service the variator and clutch.  No other special tools needed.  They're not expensive.

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »
A simple battery-powered impact wrench is enough to service the variator and clutch.  No other special tools needed.  They're not expensive.

Had no idea that a battery-powered one existed - thanks for the tip - I'll look into it.
Rides;

Honda C70C (red, 1983)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()