Author Topic: Vespa or....?  (Read 251 times)

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
Vespa or....?
« on: December 17, 2018, 04:52:10 PM »
Took my wife to dinner & to see the Xmas decorations in my coffee village last night - and spotted this little guy parked in the dark behind a restaurant. Thought it was a Kymco - but looking at the dash made me certain it was a water cooled Vespa 50cc (speedo marked to 50mph, temp. gauge).

Kind of excited to see another scooter - and a Vespa at that. With 34 miles on the odo, so it must be a local....so maybe we'll meet!?
But looking at the photos this morning - I do not see a "Vespa" anywhere on it. Not the dash or even the grips.

This must surely be a pretty sharp Vespa knock-off?!
Yes?

Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
Re: Vespa or....?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:34:52 PM »
That’s a Chinese copy of a Vespa.  Can tell by the ignition switch, gauges, wheels and front suspension
2018 Kymco Like 150i

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 05:37:01 PM »
I fear those little wheels....When I borrowed my friends 150 vespa in Rome, I was travelling across the Piazza Venezia in a light rain and did a spectacular wipe out going round the corner of the cobblestone road. NOT a fan of the kiddie wheels and they always felt a little unstable at times going across rough pavement. Stig, You did the right thing with getting the Liberty.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 10:05:01 PM »
I fear those little wheels....When I borrowed my friends 150 vespa in Rome, I was travelling across the Piazza Venezia in a light rain and did a spectacular wipe out going round the corner of the cobblestone road. NOT a fan of the kiddie wheels and they always felt a little unstable at times going across rough pavement. Stig, You did the right thing with getting the Liberty.

Dean
The bazzillions of Vespa die-hards will take issue with your small wheel findings😊
I've never seen a more rabid bunch of brand defenders.
Whatever blows your kilt up, I say
Stig

Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()