Author Topic: Replacing my Super 8 with a Like 150i  (Read 1294 times)

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing my Super 8 with a Like 150i
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 07:05:15 AM »

While fuel injection is more complex to diagnose and repair, the truth of the matter is that in most cases it’s MUCH MORE reliable compared with the average carburetor. That part of the scooter is virtually maintenance free. Use clean fuel, replace fuel filter on schedule, that’s about it for the fuel system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think in countries like the US carbs might be seen as "less reliable" for two main reasons:

1. Most available gasoline gets mixed with Ethanol.
2. Most scooters and motorcycles do not get used during long, cold winters.

Ethanol itself is corrosive, starts breaking down within a relatively short period - and will easily gum up a carb if the scooter
doesn't  get used during a long winter. To my mind leaving a mixture of Ethanol and gasoline inside a carb bowl for a couple of months during winter could easily become a sure recipe for carburetor problems.
It would be interesting to know whether scooters in countries like the US comes with fuel hoses and fuel tanks which are suitable for ethanol ? As far as I know special hoses and fuel tanks needs to be used when Ethanol gets mixed with gasoline -  because ordinary hoses disintegrate and ordinary fuel tanks do rust  if an owner do not care about preventative treatment. This can obviously cause problems as well.

In countries with warmer climates, (like South Africa) scooters and motorcycles get used 365 days per year, and our gasoline does not get mixed with Ethanol. Which means chances are very slim that gasoline will get stale inside carburetor bowls, and we hardly ever have carburetor problems. Whenever carburetors give problems after many years, it usually just need carb kits which are dirt cheap.
Having said this - my previous bike was a Honda NC700, which came with a FI system which never gave any problems. But I am aware of two cases on these bikes where the computers on the FI systems had to be replaced under guarantee. The pure idea of replacing a very expensive computer out of my own pocket gave me the shivers.

I must admit - I always liked "fiddling" on my motorcycles, and the idea of doing things myself just gives me some extra "freedom".  At least I can ride knowing that I can keep myself mobile.
Maybe that's the main reason why I prefer carburetors.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:24:14 AM by scooterfan »
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Forbes1964

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 11:07:20 AM »

I think in countries like the US carbs might be seen as "less reliable" for two main reasons:

1. Most available gasoline gets mixed with Ethanol.
2. Most scooters and motorcycles do not get used during long, cold winters.

Ethanol itself is corrosive, starts breaking down within a relatively short period - and will easily gum up a carb if the scooter
doesn't  get used during a long winter. To my mind leaving a mixture of Ethanol and gasoline inside a carb bowl for a couple of months during winter could easily become a sure recipe for carburetor problems.
It would be interesting to know whether scooters in countries like the US comes with fuel hoses and fuel tanks which are suitable for ethanol ? As far as I know special hoses and fuel tanks needs to be used when Ethanol gets mixed with gasoline -  because ordinary hoses disintegrate and ordinary fuel tanks do rust  if an owner do not care about preventative treatment. This can obviously cause problems as well.

In countries with warmer climates, (like South Africa) scooters and motorcycles get used 365 days per year, and our gasoline does not get mixed with Ethanol. Which means chances are very slim that gasoline will get stale inside carburetor bowls, and we hardly ever have carburetor problems. Whenever carburetors give problems after many years, it usually just need carb kits which are dirt cheap.
Having said this - my previous bike was a Honda NC700, which came with a FI system which never gave any problems. But I am aware of two cases on these bikes where the computers on the FI systems had to be replaced under guarantee. The pure idea of replacing a very expensive computer out of my own pocket gave me the shivers.

I must admit - I always liked "fiddling" on my motorcycles, and the idea of doing things myself just gives me some extra "freedom".  At least I can ride knowing that I can keep myself mobile.
Maybe that's the main reason why I prefer carburetors.
I’m an auto mechanic, so I understand the desire to fiddle with the carburetor and performing other adjustments. I miss doing those things on cars too. But to be honest. The lack of a NEED to fiddle demonstrates the improved reliability. With a car, the use of fuel injection pretty much means the hood never needs to be opened for fuel adjustment purposes. But carburetors had to be adjusted periodically even under the best circumstances . I suspect it’s the same with scooters. Having said that, I do like showing the YOUNGSTERS my magic skills in being able to adjust a carburetor and even replace points and condenser. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2009 Xciting 250

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2019, 04:11:58 AM »
Max Motorsports seems to be a great dealer.  Everyone there was friendly and helpful and buying was a very low pressure affair.  They also have a great selection. 

So far I like the scooter.  Engine performance is a bit less than I hoped for but then it's not broken in yet and I haven't really opened it up yet.  Seems to be quicker than my Super 8 but not as fast as my Smax was.  The brakes are awesome.  handling?  feels good around town but until I get it out on some twisty mountain roads I'll wait to pass judgement on that.

I considered the red but went with white.  I was a little concerned it would be harder to photograph but I'm not concerned about that anymore.

I have the same exact color and everything.  It does get faster after break in, and I haven’t really gotten on it much, but yeah it isn’t a drag racer that’s for sure, seems like it’s got taller gears, been surprised by hitting 71 mph, but not as snappy as my old scoot or my girlfriends Vespa Sprint (close though), But has higher top speed. 
2018 Kymco Like 150i

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2019, 04:30:16 AM »
71 MPH out of an aircooled 150!
That is really nice......must be a very expensive Japanese scooter.
No?...Taiwanese engineering and Chinese construction.
Hmmmm.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 11:33:54 AM »
WOW, fantastic look bike dealership & sunny weather at Christmas!
We don't have either in the UK. Scooter dealers tend to be small back street shops. There are one or two good motorbike dealers but nothing on that scale!  ;) 8)

Snoopzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 09:24:02 PM »
71 MPH out of an aircooled 150!
That is really nice......must be a very expensive Japanese scooter.
No?...Taiwanese engineering and Chinese construction.
Hmmmm.
Stig

I know right?  And guess who’s scooter starts quicker and runs smoother in the Minnesota winter weather?  The Vespa Sprint or my Like 150i?  Yep, Taiwanese engineering at its finest.  I have 0 regrets on not getting the Vespa now (except maybe resale value, but I will be riding this thing into the ground)
2018 Kymco Like 150i

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2019, 10:06:25 PM »
I now have over 500 miles on my Like.  I did a 195 mile ride on Saturday leading a group of seven bikes.  The other bikes ranged from a Z125 to a Tmax and a couple of KLR650s.

We rode a mix of city traffic, four lane roads and some twisty two lane roads.

So how is the Like 150i?

Well, it's a lot of fun, reasonably comfortable and I love the looks.

It is not a 71MPH scooter.  This was going down a long steep hill.

Based on reports from people with GPS the Speedo reads 2-3 MPH high.  On level ground I can get around 62-66 on the speedo.  This probably depends on the wind.

I've been getting 70-73 MPG. 

I let a few other people ride it and they loved it.  One guy who never rode a scooter before said he will sell his sportster and buy a scooter.  Another firend who rides a Tmax  said he wanted one but his wife would kill him if he bought another bike.

A picture if me riding it.

So I'm a little disappointed in the engine performance but still glad I bought it.  I'm guessing I'll put at least 5,000 miles on it this year.  I may do the scooter cannonball on it in 2020.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:10:00 PM by klaviator »
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 02:07:52 AM »
(except maybe resale value, but I will be riding this thing into the ground)
[/quote]
Absolutely my intentions as well.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 05:47:26 PM »
Would you guys recommend a Like 150 over an Smax 150? I am thinking of getting a second scooter for my home area and was wondering about longevity.

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 07:34:41 PM »
Would you guys recommend a Like 150 over an Smax 150? I am thinking of getting a second scooter for my home area and was wondering about longevity.

Dean

I had an Smax and now I have the Like 150i.  They are both great scooters.  Which one you should buy depends on what you are looking for.

If you want performance it's no contest.  The Smax wins hands down.  Better acceleration, higher top speed and even better gas mileage. 

The Like is less expensive.  If you get a 2018 model it's about $1100 less.  The difference is less for 2019.

I would expect the Smax to be more reliable and last longer.  It's a Yamaha and it's liquid cooled.  The Like has basically the same motor as my 2009 Super 8 and I have 32,600+ miles on my Super 8.  How many miles do you plan on putting on it?

If you are tall, the Like has better ergonomics.  I think the Like has a slightly better ride but both are pretty harsh.

The Like has ABS, the Smax doesn't.  The Like has four color choices, the Smax one.

Sit on both of them, ride them if you can.  That may make your choice easier.

I could have bought another Smax but chose to get the Like.  The Smax is a bigger and heavier scooter and I wanted the smaller size and less weight of the Like.  I also have some bigger and faster bikes to ride if I want the speed. 

I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 09:08:41 PM »
Klav, thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it

Dean
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

klaviator

• Huntsville, Alabama
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 10:07:16 PM »
Klav, thank you very much for your input, I appreciate it

Dean

You are welcome.  I just noticed that you already have a couple of bigger scooters.  I'd go with the Like.  There is something fun about a tiny lightweight scooter that bigger bikes just can't duplicate.  The Smax is a great scooter but it loses some of that tiny scooter feel.
I Ride Therefore I Am

Rocket City, Al

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()