Author Topic: Kymco 300i grinding clutch sound  (Read 1108 times)

Megahed77

• View Profile
Kymco 300i grinding clutch sound
« on: December 23, 2018, 05:35:19 PM »
Hello im new to this forum , i was wondering i bought a kymco 300i 2014 used it has 17k km on the clock ,I dont know how to describe the sound but there is a strange sound that comes randomly from the clutch area whenever I accelerate its like grinding metal or when you keep the sidestand on the floor and move with it , it comes and goes randomly , ive had the clutch pads, belt , rollers changed but the sound didnt go away.

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Kymco 300i grinding clutch sound
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 02:11:18 AM »
Check the oil in the gearbox.
Karl

Three motorcycles 1960-1977 (restored a 1955 BSA)
Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i
Navy tech, Ships Engineer, pilot and aircraft mechanic

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 08:29:04 AM »
Hello im new to this forum , i was wondering i bought a kymco 300i 2014 used it has 17k km on the clock ,I dont know how to describe the sound but there is a strange sound that comes randomly from the clutch area whenever I accelerate its like grinding metal or when you keep the sidestand on the floor and move with it , it comes and goes randomly , ive had the clutch pads, belt , rollers changed but the sound didnt go away.
You have to open it all up and have a lopk inside, check for signs of metal to metal contact.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Megahed77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 10:43:08 AM »
I’ve changed both oils engine and gearbox according to the recommended viscosities in the service manual still there is that sound thing is , it comes and goes randomly especially when accelerating quickly

Megahed77

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 10:44:28 AM »
You have to open it all up and have a lopk inside, check for signs of metal to metal contact.

Any idea what could cause that ? And where to look for ?

kneeslider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
You'll have to take it to a workshop for them to open it up.

2019 Yamaha X-Max 250

Megahed77

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 07:33:50 PM »
I’ve already changed it according to the service manual but the sound still appears

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 07:53:08 PM »
I would check the washers, - they are different thicknesses , on the driving  pulley,  you may have one in the wrong place,  and would cause some-thing to rub together,  you are reading in Km.s  , are you in Canada ottawa area,  can help if you are,

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 08:07:44 PM »
I’ve already changed it according to the service manual but the sound still appears
1. How much oil came out when you changed it?
2. How much oil did you put back in? What kind/weight oil did you put back in?
3. What did the old oil look like?

That is the nature of what I was asking...
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

Megahed77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 09:32:47 PM »
1. How much oil came out when you changed it?
2. How much oil did you put back in? What kind/weight oil did you put back in?
3. What did the old oil look like?

That is the nature of what I was asking...
A little less than what is supposed to come out it looked a bit blackish probably burnt  ive put 0.23L in it SAE 80w-90 oil

Megahed77

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 09:36:50 PM »
I would check the washers, - they are different thicknesses , on the driving  pulley,  you may have one in the wrong place,  and would cause some-thing to rub together,  you are reading in Km.s  , are you in Canada ottawa area,  can help if you are,
Nope I’m not unfortunately im from Egypt , do you mean the rollers ? Ive changed those too , this makes sense as i placed them myself ill check on them again , eventhough i made sure ive placed them right hopefully its something not that serious

CROSSBOLT

• West Tennessee, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 12:31:24 AM »
A little less than what is supposed to come out it looked a bit blackish probably burnt  ive put 0.23L in it SAE 80w-90 oil

That's what I was looking too see! Good show. Probably not the gears, then. I think de dee is on the right track. There usually two washers up front that have a bevel on the inside which should face a radius on the shaft coming out of the engine. It also is critical to have as much slack in the belt when the front pulley halves are assembled and the shaft nut tightened.
Karl

Agility 50
Yager 200i
Downtown 300i

de dee

• 2011 300i downtown 82,265 KM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »

That's what I was looking too see! Good show. Probably not the gears, then. I think de dee is on the right track. There usually two washers up front that have a bevel on the inside which should face a radius on the shaft coming out of the engine. It also is critical to have as much slack in the belt when the front pulley halves are assembled and the shaft nut tightened.
put some grease on shaft,  and flat washer , install pulley and boss install belt ,install outer pulley ,and install bevaled washer cupped to inside,  and last nut with lock tite blue on threads, last check bearing in outer cover it may be the problem all along

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()