Author Topic: Considering a 50cc family scooter - derestricting  (Read 3498 times)

mdeni

• View Profile
Considering a 50cc family scooter - derestricting
« on: December 27, 2018, 01:19:56 PM »
I am considering a 50cc family scooter. Family in the sence that anyone can drive it legally with no special license. Thus the 50cc limit.

Initially cheap scooter is the choice because of peace of mind in terms of stealing, and vandalism.

That said I live in a relatively flat city with 5km distances that need to be covered. A 50cc scooter needs only 1 registration and then nothing. It is pure utility and no wasted cache. 10euro/dollars per year insurance and that is it.

In the shops the Chinese brands are not a safe buy for me. I would like a reliable bike. Hense looking at Kymco. We are rather tall people 190+cm/6'2"inch, and a larger scooter is a must.

My choices are:

The Kymco Agility 16+ 50cc 2t Euro2 for around 1900euro/dollar
www.kymco.com.cy/en/kymco-scooters/kymco-50cc-scooters/98-agility-16-50-2t

And the Kymco Like 50 4t euro4 for arround 1700euro/dollar.
www.moto.it/listino/kymco/like-50/like-50-4t-2009-18/9Ku17x

I have ridden Kawasaki 650, Yamaha fzr and similar.

I can't try these scooters to find out if they are fast enough for normal driving. Whichever I get I plan on derestricting immediately to get normal and safe performance on the road. After a year or so an upgrade kit would be put for a larger bore.

My questions,
1. are the Kymcos mentioned easy to derestrict?
2. Is the Kymco Like 50cc 4t unsafely slow?
3. Can the Agility 16+ 50cc 2t be made reliably 72cc?
4. Is a 72cc 2t faster than 90cc 4t?
5. What would you choose in my place and why?

Any manuals or tutorials for derestricting new kymcos?

P.S.
Liability insurance is mandatory. And a good thing! No other expenses for 50cc.

That is why a 90 4t or 72 2t registered as 50cc is a very good option, if it can travel at 60kmh reliably, and 60kmh on small hills.

P.P.S.
I am not looking to get a used scooter, they hold too much value in my country, and after 10 years it will be 50% of the price. Especially for a 2t which god knows how it was lubricated.

Kymco has a very good servicing and parts availability at my country. All deliveries use them, all parking validators use them. And generally the consensus is that they are very reliable. And on top of that a lot of aftermarket parts are available for them.

The Agility 16. But it is the new version from Agility City. And uses the same 2t as all Kymcos. The Like is also the 50cc 4t that is used in all Kymco models.

My only concern is that the 4t is euro 4, and can be upgraded. But will I be able to transport myself on a 50cc 4t for a year? Or will it be dreadfully slow, especially on a hill. I have seen this video:

My opinion is that this is horrible performance. 32kmh/20mph uphill seems deadly on a public road! But will it be that slow when derestricted? Euro 4 means the cleanest possible scooter, 2t euro 2 bans are starting to appear in some EU cities.

That is why I am torn between the choices. Should I manage somehow not to die on a 4t for a while until the upgrade, or go for a 2t and risk a ban, but have normal performance for a year, and upgrade then to excellent performance.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 09:28:00 AM by mdeni »

Fogie

• View Profile
Re: Considering a 50cc family scooter
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 03:16:48 PM »
I can't offer much help with your question, but I have to compliment you on how well you've articulated it.
2012 Kymco Frost (Yager) 200i - Toronto, Canada

eamartin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 04:58:32 PM »
50cc, 6'2", uphill - That sounds like a bad combination leading to disappointment, even unrestricted.  My Super 8 2T 50 barely crests a long gradual hill at 20mph and I only weight 150 lbs.  Of course I am not familiar with the specific models you mention.

leomagnus

• Providence, RI
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 05:41:32 PM »
Does the 150 engine on the Super 8 swap out with the 50cc engine model of the Super 8? That might be a possibility. Not sure what changes would have to be made, but it may be a cheap possibility.
Rome, Italy
'97 Honda SH50
'98 Aprilia SR50
'01 Gilera Runner 180
'05 Honda SH150
I have minor knowledge on basic maintenance based of many conversations with scooter mechanics in Rome, Italy.

Warwick, RI, USA
'12 Kymco People GTi 300
'18 Kymco Xciting 400i ABS
'22 Kymco AK550 ABS

Louder North

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 07:37:15 PM »
That was a long hill (in the video) and it didn't even get to 60 kph on the flat... you have to realize that the 50 cc category is  'designed' to go slow and has been engineered to not go faster than x kph depending on the local laws.  You might need to borrow someone else's 50 cc so that you can determine what you are willing to tolerate in terms of 'slowness'.  My 50 cc Aprilia SR50, which has been derestricted, will get to 85 kph on the flat and it will be revving 9000 rpm at that speed. Both 4T and 2T can be derestricted depending on the technology used to slow it down - ranges from removing a ring in the variator, to removing a ring welded into the exhaust, re-programming the ECU (computer for fuel injected scoots), bigger carburetor and/or bigger jets, performance exhaust for 2T. Then again, if your family includes younger or inexperienced riders, you may want it to go slow....
2009 Kymco Frost (aka Yager 200i)
10,000 km
bought used in 2018
2007 Aprilia SR50 (Morini motor)
2013 Aprilia SR50 (Piaggio motor)
1986 BMW R80

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 09:42:50 PM »
Here's a different view:
50cc.....seem best for college campus use.
If you're really interested in both safety & keeping costs down - and avoiding attracting thieves  - why not take a stroll around and talk with owners of Chinese scooters who are surviving on your city streets. If properly maintained and the correct brand purchased - these can be good bargains for 40>60% of the cost of a new Kymco 50. You'll only be keeping it for 3 or 4 years - putting limited miles on it - parking it in the rain, etc.?

Rather than the hassle & expense of building a safe city scooter from a Kymco 50 - why not look at a $2500 55 MPH scooter - and get the family properly licensed and trained?

Just a thought - we see so many less than thrilled 50cc owners.

Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

mdeni

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 09:20:00 AM »
I have been a passenger on a SR50 derestricted with Gianelli pipe. It carried 200kg of people to 80kmh indicated easily.
As i can see here:

https://www.pedparts.co.uk/blog/stage-6-pro-replica-exhaust-triumphs-exhaust-shootout
The restrictions are keeping the scooters slow, and with a normal non resonance pipe they have over 6hp@7500rpm. Which is plenty enough for driving a single person uphill at a fast pace of over 50kmh, or a level road to over 60kmh.

I can't offer much help with your question, but I have to compliment you on how well you've articulated it.
Thank you. That is rather nice of you.

Does the 150 engine on the Super 8 swap out with the 50cc engine model of the Super 8? That might be a possibility. Not sure what changes would have to be made, but it may be a cheap possibility.
Perhaps, but that is some serious modifications.

That was a long hill (in the video) and it didn't even get to 60 kph on the flat... you have to realize that the 50 cc category is  'designed' to go slow and has been engineered to not go faster than x kph depending on the local laws.  You might need to borrow someone else's 50 cc so that you can determine what you are willing to tolerate in terms of 'slowness'.  My 50 cc Aprilia SR50, which has been derestricted, will get to 85 kph on the flat and it will be revving 9000 rpm at that speed. Both 4T and 2T can be derestricted depending on the technology used to slow it down - ranges from removing a ring in the variator, to removing a ring welded into the exhaust, re-programming the ECU (computer for fuel injected scoots), bigger carburetor and/or bigger jets, performance exhaust for 2T. Then again, if your family includes younger or inexperienced riders, you may want it to go slow....
Yes I have very positive experiences with SR50 derestricted, but would like a larger scooter with larger wheels.

Here's a different view:
50cc.....seem best for college campus use.
If you're really interested in both safety & keeping costs down - and avoiding attracting thieves  - why not take a stroll around and talk with owners of Chinese scooters who are surviving on your city streets. If properly maintained and the correct brand purchased - these can be good bargains for 40>60% of the cost of a new Kymco 50. You'll only be keeping it for 3 or 4 years - putting limited miles on it - parking it in the rain, etc.?

Rather than the hassle & expense of building a safe city scooter from a Kymco 50 - why not look at a $2500 55 MPH scooter - and get the family properly licensed and trained?

Just a thought - we see so many less than thrilled 50cc owners.

Stig
Actually that is not a different view. It is a common misconception to mix 50cc with larger scooters, and they shouldn't be mixed. They are very different and require very different things. It is extremely complicated to get licensed, and very costly. And then the insurance is very expensive, and the registration also, and we are moving into other territories. If I can license everyone then I will get a Versys 650, not a 125 scooter. But a family utility scooter is a different kind of need. It is in the rang of a bicycle that can safely be ridden on the road. I have been very impressed with the performance of the aforementioned SR50 derestricted with gianelli pipe, that I can't seem to find out why would I need anything more for around town.
SR50 is rather childish in design in my opinion. It would be great if that engine was offered in a Piaggio Liberty instead of the horribly slow and unsafe iGet50.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2018, 09:24:03 AM by mdeni »

scooterfan

• Durban, South Africa to Ankeny IA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »
I would never consider anything that slow for myself or my family - spesially for safety reasons.
Right or wrong, I beleive that by riding slower than other vehicles on the road, changes are better to be getting knocked of by other vehicles on the road.
Personally I would never consider anything smaller than 125cc.
Life is a journey. Just spend some time, and enjoy the trip.

Stig / Major Tom

• Global Moderator
  • Rural Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 11:53:38 AM »
OK, certainly seems as though you will not be another frustrated 50 owner!
Please share a photo of the Kymco you decide on.
Stig
Boston Strong
Rural Ohio

And, I'm feeling a little peculiar.

dan v.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 01:33:35 PM »
I'm thinking you are in Great Britain/Europe?  In my understanding of the laws there, insurance and licensing laws are much different and and more expensive than here in the US.  Is it not also illegal to modify your scooter? - So don't get caught as I understand.

That said, looking at Kymco vs the many China brands is a good choice.

I was not aware that you could get a 2T 50cc still.  It has been a few years since they have been available here.  The Kymco 2 strokes are a good engine for modifying, and do not require a crank replacement as some other mfgr's do.  A pipe, cylinder kit, and carb can get you 60 mph and still be a daily driver - although you probably will not be happy with the fuel consumption. 

I recall an issue with late model 50cc in that the CDI needs to be replaced in order to take advantage of the hot rod parts if you go that way - I don't remember if you need a AC or DC.  You may still find some European based scooter tuning site with info on that.

Also, you have fewer brand choices for Kymco hot rod parts.  SIP in Germany is your friend. 

My Super 9 has no problem keeping up with city traffic - yet due to licensing it is illegal to go over 30 mph...(I don't worry about getting caught - figure police have more important things to deal with). It has no problem keeping up with 125cc scooters.  Scooter tuning is fun, but time consuming and expensive.

Can't advise you about the 4T's and hot rodding - the big bore kits will make a difference, though.   The stock 50cc 4T's are dreadfully slow - I always cringe when someone shows up with one on a club ride - means we will be waiting on the slow poke often.

As many of us have found, a 125/150 class scoot is much more practical.

Good luck with your choice!
05 Super 9, 06 Best & Win, and a fleet of other scoots.....
Grand Rapids, MI

mdeni

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 08:33:09 AM »
I would never consider anything that slow for myself or my family - spesially for safety reasons.
Right or wrong, I beleive that by riding slower than other vehicles on the road, changes are better to be getting knocked of by other vehicles on the road.
Personally I would never consider anything smaller than 125cc.
Depends on local laws. If 50 is the limit, than that is the limit. (70-90cc with kit)

But all 50cc are not the same. That is why I am looking for help.
The iget50 gets 10-45kmh in 7 seconds
Kymco People S 50 4t gets 10-45kmh in 9 seconds
The SR50 gets 10-45kmh in 5 seconds
Kymco People S 72cc 2t gets 10-45kmh in 4 seconds

Those are all registered as 50cc, but are not the same at all. The honda PCX 125 gets from 10-45kmh in 3 seconds.

OK, certainly seems as though you will not be another frustrated 50 owner!
Please share a photo of the Kymco you decide on.
Stig
I hope not and off course I will.

I'm thinking you are in Great Britain/Europe?  In my understanding of the laws there, insurance and licensing laws are much different and and more expensive than here in the US.  Is it not also illegal to modify your scooter? - So don't get caught as I understand.

That said, looking at Kymco vs the many China brands is a good choice.

I was not aware that you could get a 2T 50cc still.  It has been a few years since they have been available here.  The Kymco 2 strokes are a good engine for modifying, and do not require a crank replacement as some other mfgr's do.  A pipe, cylinder kit, and carb can get you 60 mph and still be a daily driver - although you probably will not be happy with the fuel consumption. 

I recall an issue with late model 50cc in that the CDI needs to be replaced in order to take advantage of the hot rod parts if you go that way - I don't remember if you need a AC or DC.  You may still find some European based scooter tuning site with info on that.

Also, you have fewer brand choices for Kymco hot rod parts.  SIP in Germany is your friend. 

My Super 9 has no problem keeping up with city traffic - yet due to licensing it is illegal to go over 30 mph...(I don't worry about getting caught - figure police have more important things to deal with). It has no problem keeping up with 125cc scooters.  Scooter tuning is fun, but time consuming and expensive.

Can't advise you about the 4T's and hot rodding - the big bore kits will make a difference, though.   The stock 50cc 4T's are dreadfully slow - I always cringe when someone shows up with one on a club ride - means we will be waiting on the slow poke often.

As many of us have found, a 125/150 class scoot is much more practical.

Good luck with your choice!
Yes, I am from Europe. The laws are very different, but the distances travelled are also a lot different. You can change almost anything on the scooter, tuning is not illegal or a problem. As long as the chassis number and plates correspond. One of the last 2t is the Kymco Agility 16+. Here is the SR50, and some Chinese bikes. The choice is narrowed down.

I have Malossi parts here, and Motoforce or something similar. I plan on using Malossi somewhere down the line https://www.malossistore.co.uk/kymco-agility-r16-50-2t-euro-2-kf10b-kyag50162-M
My plan is:
1. Is to check out the exhaust and derestrict washers if there are any. That should free up a lot of power on its own. According to the graph that I posted above. 3.25HP, to 6HP improvement.
2. Is to check the boss if it is limited. If it is then replace it with unrestricted. This might slow down the acceleration but improve the usage of the variator.
3. Is to put Dr. Pulley sliders to improve the lost performance from the boss, and gain acceleration. Also target is at least 65kmh/40mph top speed.
4. Is to check the mixture and swap a carburettor jet #82 if it seems lean.

This should in theory provide the performance that should a 50cc scooter have. And this is considered stock in my book. Because it is as the scooter should have exited the factory.
After a while:
5. perhaps I will put a Malossi 47mm piston and cylinder. If I am bored for example.
6. And perhaps put some a bit heavier sliders to quieten down the engine, and keep the consumption in check.
7. I want to put some Metzeler Wintec, sticky winter tires so I can gain stability in the rain, and oil spills.
8. A LED headlight to make it look more 2019, and less 2006.

And that should be about it.

The law dictates and makes the 125cc logical. In some countries you can drive 50cc with no license. In some countries that limit is 125cc. In mine it is 50cc. It sucks a lot, but that is the reality. A 125 here makes absolutely no sense to me. If I am passing the tests and getting licensed a 250cc seems the minimum that I would get. Why limit myself to 125... 125 are the least sold motorcycles. We have 60% of the motorcycles under 50cc, and only a 2-5% are 50-150cc, the rest are all above 150cc. Because the law dictates the 50cc limit. If it was 125cc with no license, or only with tests - with a learners plates like in some nice countries, then I assure you 90% of bikes would be 125cc.

P.S. Any suggestions or criticism are welcomed!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 08:54:51 AM by mdeni »

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 09:34:08 AM »
There's been quite a lot of complaints on the forum about the Kymco Agility 16+ 50cc, and nobody has successfully derestricted one yet...
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

mdeni

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 09:39:16 AM »
There's been quite a lot of complaints on the forum about the Kymco Agility 16+ 50cc, and nobody has successfully derestricted one yet...
Is that for the 4T or the 2T 50cc?

Viper254

• Moped Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2018, 09:40:13 AM »
4T with the fuel injection.
Rides;

Suzuki GW250 Inazuma (2016)
Honda C70C (red, 1983)

mdeni

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
4T with the fuel injection.
Ah, thank god. This is about the Agility 16+ carburetted 50 2T. Not the slow injection one. :)

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function split()